Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was just inspecting my coolant and I realize there is some white cotton looking stuff at the bottom of the reservoir it doesn't mix with the coolant it looks separate. The coolant looks very green and new. Is this something I should worry about ?? I know for a fact it wasn't there the other day when I was at my buddy shop inspecting everything head to toe I specifically looked in the coolant reservoir for any signs of anything since they were dyno tuning it for the first 150 miles of its life
http://youtu.be/5idKq1cgnb0

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's hard to tell in the video but the bottom pile goes up into a long skinny strip strip moves back-and-forth you could see if you really concentrate on the video

·
Registered
374 Posts
Head gasket gone bad? Pull the dipstick and check oil, everything look normal? If not, plan on head gasket replacement.

Mixed tap water with coolant mix instead of distilled water? Flush the coolant system and refill.

Mixed incompatible coolant? Flush the coolant system and refill.

When was the last time the coolant system was flushed and replaced? Been a while? Time to flush the coolant system and refill.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If its the factory Kawi stuff and its been in there awhile its breaking down and that's the white stuff your seeing. Like mentioned above change out the fluid and flush the radiator really good. Switch to engine Ice or another makers aftermarket coolent.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased the bike yesterday it is brand-new.before I picked it up I noticed that the coolant reservoir was low so my buddy put in the Honda brand coolant I'm pretty sure it's compatible

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had full system exhaust and Woolich custom tune on the Dyno before I picked it up .. 150 miles of dyno tuning.. it's how I break and all my bikes

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I purchased the bike yesterday it is brand-new.before I picked it up I noticed that the coolant reservoir was low so my buddy put in the Honda brand coolant I'm pretty sure it's compatible

Haha I thought you were talking about the Gen 2 in your avatar. Usually you get some air burping from the radiator which sucks in fluid from the overflow bottle you should be ok with just toping off the overflow bottle. all though the Honda coolent is going to take a mile and hour or two off your top end. roflmao. My Gen 4 was the same way I just added coolent to the bottle. Not Honda coolent mind you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
He is asking about some foreign substance in the coolant tank that doesn't appear to be coolant. I don't know what it is, but it sort of looks like little air bubbles in the vid he posted. I think he's probably flushing the cooling system currently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
White stuff that looks cotton like is a sign of the wrong coolant being used and there is a breakdown in the systems components so says my KX250 manual, it says if finding swathes of white cotton looking stuff then there is some break down of the aluminum or other system components. Again from my KX250 manual from kawasaki

1 - 11 of 11 Posts