Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really worth it? What is the "theory" behind going all short? Would I really see a difference in running all shorts? Thinking about picking up another airbox off of ebay and doing it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
my bike did'nt like the 2 extra short stacks, killed it everywhere. did not tune for them, would not recomend it for every combo though.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just seems like all of the drag bikes you see, they've switched to them. I don't understand why there is 2 talls and 2 shorts. Wonder why yours didn't like the all shorts? Are you saying that you didn't tune the bike for the shorts after you installed them? If you didn't tune for it, I'm sure thats why your bike didnt like them.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
mixed stacks are for stronger low/midrange, also affects top end. no, did'nt retune after changing to short stks., most here are not doing that either. really kiled my powerband with my particular mods. just ran 3 consecutive passes 2 wks ago at manufacturer's cup race at 158 with stock stacks. just sharing my experience. suggest buying 2 stacks from kaw for $16 and u will know for sure.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That doesn't make any sense at all.. If you're altering the amount of air and the velocity of the air, you're going to change the a/f. I don't see how you can alter the a/f and expect it to run like a champ on the same map before you changed it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it be better to buy an air box off of eBay or is the other two shorts something that Mary could get for me? If so what is the part numbers?

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Just seems like all of the drag bikes you see, they've switched to them. I don't understand why there is 2 talls and 2 shorts. Wonder why yours didn't like the all shorts? Are you saying that you didn't tune the bike for the shorts after you installed them? If you didn't tune for it, I'm sure thats why your bike didnt like them.
I think with most of the drag bikes you see, they do that because they are sprayin. I do know that short stacks help Zuks quite a bit. But They hurt more than help the 10's. at least the 1st gens anyway..

·
Registered
138 Posts
i have a few short stacks laying around from my 07' you are more than welcome to have them if you just want to cover the shipping.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you guys think it wouldn't be worth it?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That just really sucks cause theres basically 50/50. I guess I'll just try it out and run autotune and see if mapping it accordingly will help.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
I did a bit of research on this a while back but I forget the science behind. The basics of it are fairly simple, the shorter the stack the more top end power with a sacrifice to low and mid. The way the stack are stock is actually fairly even as the outer stacks are further from the ram air. Stack are pointless unless you are racing competitively.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just want the biggest advantage as possible. Plus later I plan on adding the squeeze.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Keep it as is then. You'll hurt the mid range way to much, it's something like a loss of 5 hp at like 9k for a gain of 2 at peak it's really not worth it. Would affect torque too but I never saw those numbers. A balanced power band is better than a peak band for the most part.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well shit.. Guess I'll keep it as is then.. Thats quite a bit of a difference for only 2# up top.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Leave secondarys in to..Don Guel mr ecu tuner here sez the gen3 works better with them in...Somethin to do with the egg like shaped tb intakes..

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The secondaries are out and I don't have the plates nor screws any longer. The bike def. picked up a lot but suffered from dead spots below 5k.. I guess with an actual custom map it will straighten the flat spots below 5/6k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just thought I would put my two pence worth in,
Changing to all short stacks is not a good idea even if re-tuning
The stacks at all the same length will try to steal air from each other especially at high rpm,
the roll over lips are there to shape the air going in to the stack to increase the velocity they are at different lengths for two reasons,
1 to increase low to mid range torque
2 to make intake velocity smooth and consistent as the stacks are taking there own air from different parts of the air box.
I've tuned on standard and shorts and have standards in now, my expense is your knowledge for free, stay with the standards :cool::cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts