Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im confused with all the (mis)information out there about TREs and timing retardation etc etc..

so... from people who have gone down this route...

which one did you buy?
what differences did you see? powerwise? throttle reponse wise?
were they measured ones? i.e. dyno proof or seat of the bum guessing??

i hear the GiPro one is good as it has a gear indicator built in...

??????

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
GIPro.

Why:
1) Has the gear indicator built into it
2) Has a switch to turn the TRE feature off without disconnecting anything
3) Has multiple TRE settings
4) No adjustments of the TPS needed

Results:
My calibrated Arse2k dynamometer reported a .03% increase in Hp on the "soft" setting and improved the throttle response.

Recommendation:
Worth the $$$ for the gear indicator alone and the unit is plug-and-play and has been fool-proof since installation. The TRE is just a nice bonus.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've had the GIPRO ATRE on for 2 mos now and I highly recommend it. I run it on the "hard zx10" setting and it's like adding 3 teeth to your rear sprocket. It allows the 10 to accelerate much harder in the first 4 gears.

The ATRE does not add any HP to your engine per se but it does free up your restricted HP in your first 4 gears so it feels like you've added 10 or more HP when you are in those gears. Every now and then I turn the ATRE off and set it back to stock just to remember how stock feels. As soon as I pull off from a stop and accelerate through the gears I realize how much of a difference the ATRE makes and I end up pulling over and turning the ATRE right back on.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
So you basically have 3 options to set it on depending on what riding you want to do?

This will work fine with my power commander and speedo healer as well?

How long does install take do you think?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Also if I put my bike in 1st gear now and let the clutch out and just roll along w/ no throttle I go about 8mph on a level surface. If I put the TRE on and do this will I go quicker?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
So you basically have 3 options to set it on depending on what riding you want to do?

This will work fine with my power commander and speedo healer as well?

How long does install take do you think?
Use the 'search' button for more info as this is probably the 1000th thread on the subject.

But to give you a quick answers,
There are 5 settings, "zx10 hard", "zx10 soft", "off", "zx14 hard", and "zx14 soft". The soft settings are used for a stock bike with slip-ons or mild mods. The Hard setting is used for pcIII-equipped bikes that have been custom mapped to use the hard setting.

It will not affect the pc or speedo healer. The 3 units are completely independant of each other.

It takes exactly 1 hour and 10 minutes to install from first bolt turned to last bolt tightened (2006 ZX-10R) if you have some mechanical/electrical know-how and some patience.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Also if I put my bike in 1st gear now and let the clutch out and just roll along w/ no throttle I go about 8mph on a level surface. If I put the TRE on and do this will I go quicker?
No. As was stated, the idle speed is not affected by the GIPro, so it would have no impact on the speed of the bike idling in gear.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The "smart" feature which keeps it from messing up your fast idle is probably reason enough to go with the gi-pro... I wish I had! lol My bike (04) idles at 3k rpm's when I first start it and I refuse to go to all that trouble to pull the airbox out for the 10th time to adjust the fast idle screw

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Sounds good. I'm going to have to search this topic a lot more. Still debating myself if I should get it done. I don't feel I need a gear indicator really but the benefit of the ATRE sounds nice.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
For Ripper,
No you don't have to make any changes to your PC3. All the ATRE does is eliminate the retarded timing on your first 4 gears. It doesn't make any changes to your air/fuel setttings. Trust me you will be very happy with this unit. Just be sure to try the "zx10 HARD" setting because the "soft" setting wasn't much of an improvement from stock....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts