Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ex Postwhore
4,688 Posts
I would go with muzzy's. I have a friend that has it on his bike and it sounds oh so sweet. Muzzy's make good quality stufand they've been around for a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
muzzy is good and has deals.
If you can find a full Hindle system for cheap it would be good also.
Hindle is SS (thin wall) but is same weight as a TI system.
Then there is Akro but costs big green.

Most jet kits are taylor fit for 4-1 or 4-2-1 so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Good pipes-from high cost to lower--Akrapovic, Hindle, Muzzy. If the carbs have not be tinkered with you may be better off. Typically the carbs kits help response but can actually kill a little top end power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My experience w/ pipes and full exhaust systems w/ jet kits.
My 02 had alot of low end torque running a M4 slip-on with 42 PJ's tuned by race local shop. Bike would loft the front at a relatively low rpm.
Replaced the M4 with a full Hindle H/M. Gave up some power below 4K but motor loved to rev above 10k. I had to adjust my gear shift timing to keep up w/ how fast the tach was sweeping to avoid the rev limiter. With the slip on it reved quite slow above 10.5K . It wasn't a suttle change.
3 days later the factory pro kit went in. Got some of the low rpm torque back and front would loft again but biggest power improvement was above 10K again. Above 10K in second gear the bike would stand straight up. Its pretty abrupt. The bike will loft when shifting into second, I allow the front to lower to ground and around 11k it comes up hard and fast. Put you on your back if your not careful.

Each was an improvement but depends on where and how you ride.
I ride track so don't spend much time below 6K. When I did more street riding I loved the low end torque of the slip-on.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Wanna put a full system on the Nine. What are some recommendations and why?

Not just a full system a Jet-kit is needed(Factory Pro)...no question a Full muzzy turns the 9R into a breathing beast. When I first started and went to the drag races I sucked so bad off the line but once I got going my old 9R will still hit just about 140mph in the traps...the bike will scream now with that upgrade. I seen many bikes including the 10Rs, busa that did not hit 140mph on my track including myself sometimes on my 10R(highest 146mph stock on the 10R)....point being the Muzzy + factory Jetkit(add the K&N filter too) will wake it up and you will feel like your on a different bike.:wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
MUZZY!!! I have a full Akra sitting on a shelf in my garage...because the Muzzy sounds, and runs great!! Depends if you want to race, look good , or just sound good. The Muzzy "round" can seems to sound the best and create the most HP of all the Muzzy cans (in my opinion). If you want performance, the Akra or Hindle might give you just a tad bit more HP, but not enough to give up the look and sound of my Muzzy :) (9.28 @ 148)

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I had a Muzzy slip on then swtiched to a full Akrapovic system and added a Dynojet jet kit and K&N air filter on my 01. It ran and sounded great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the replies. I found a full Muzzy and some new K&Ns. Just waiting for them to get here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone have a sound clip of the muzzy w/ aluminum can?
I have the sm. diameter round aluminum can on my Hindle and wonder if the sound is close.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not just a full system a Jet-kit is needed(Factory Pro)...no question a Full muzzy turns the 9R into a breathing beast. When I first started and went to the drag races I sucked so bad off the line but once I got going my old 9R will still hit just about 140mph in the traps...the bike will scream now with that upgrade. I seen many bikes including the 10Rs, busa that did not hit 140mph on my track including myself sometimes on my 10R(highest 146mph stock on the 10R)....point being the Muzzy + factory Jetkit(add the K&N filter too) will wake it up and you will feel like your on a different bike.:wink:

Muzzy reccomends the Stock air filter, The K&N will not allow the bike to breath as well, they Dyno Tested the Crap out of the K&N VS Stock air filters and a Clean stock one works better, save your money and get some pazzo levers or do your ass a favor put ome of that filter money towards a corbin seat.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Muzzy reccomends the Stock air filter, The K&N will not allow the bike to breath as well, they Dyno Tested the Crap out of the K&N VS Stock air filters and a Clean stock one works better, save your money and get some pazzo levers or do your ass a favor put ome of that filter money towards a corbin seat.
just reading this response so "do your ass a favor" and learn who your talking too.

I use to own a ZX9R and did myself a favor...yeah I bought a ZX10R no Corbin seat needed.:lol:

Oh, and you forgot that test wasn't done with a "Factory" jet kit....bottom line don't mess with a 9r with those mods forget about the air filter.:heyyou:

·
Registered
207 Posts
just reading this response so "do your ass a favor" and learn who your talking too.

I use to own a ZX9R and did myself a favor...yeah I bought a ZX10R no Corbin seat needed.:lol:

Oh, and you forgot that test wasn't done with a "Factory" jet kit....bottom line don't mess with a 9r with those mods forget about the air filter.:heyyou:
Dont get your panties in a bunch there blue balls, I was referring to literally doing your ASS a favor not referring to you as an ass.
You have probably never owned a corbin seat to know first hand just how much more comfortable they are than stock. Believe me I will never own another bike without a Corbin seat on it.
At any rate, when Muzzy Dyno tuned my bike back in 98 they used the Factory Brand Jet Kit and an OEM kawi air filter. This is part of the combo they ran on all thier road racing bikes back in the days when they ran Kawasakis race program. With the Factory Brand Jet Kit they got more horsepower with the stock oem air filters than with K&N Filters on the Dyno. K&N makes nice stuff but in this particular instance they got better performance without having to go the route of an after market filter.

I dont know what test you are referring to, I am only speaking from what Muzzy says pertaining My Bike. With the big bore kit and the rest of the mods that were made directly by Muzzy with the prototype one off, three ring high compression pistions that they only put in my bike. =)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I reccomend the fully Muzzy system, factory pro jet kit, stock filter, and dropping -1 tooth on front sprocket and go up +2 in the back. Killer response off bottom and little loss on top end. Tried K&N filter seemed to hurt performance. Didn't like it. And the sound above 8K sounds Killer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm Running Ivan's Jet Kit , +4 degree Ignition Adv, Kerker slip on ,-1 front,+2 rear. Used to have a Yosh full system and didn't like the loss of low end torque so back to the stock headers and a Kerker slip-on instead. The Kerker is not the sexiest pipe out there but dam she does sound good.With this set up the 9R will power lift the front at 165kph in third while hard on the gas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts