Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of some new brake pads, front and rear for my 08ZX10R. Already did a search on "brake pads". Narrowed it down to either OEM or EBC HH's. I use the bike as a daily driver with the occasional Sunday morning ride. No track days. Was wondering what you all thought was a better choice in pads, OEM or EBC HH's.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Don't know about the ebc hh pads but I just had some galfer hh rated pads on mine, they lasted about 300 miles before developing enough rotor dust on them to stop biting. I guess the hh rated pads are meant for rotors with a higher carbon content so they'll chew up stock rotors in a hurry. Oncycles.com has alth rotors at some sik cheap prices right now if you've got your heart set on hh pads.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Don't know about the ebc hh pads but I just had some galfer hh rated pads on mine, they lasted about 300 miles before developing enough rotor dust on them to stop biting. I guess the hh rated pads are meant for rotors with a higher carbon content so they'll chew up stock rotors in a hurry. Oncycles.com has alth rotors at some sik cheap prices right now if you've got your heart set on hh pads.
you had another issue going on it wasn't the pads, the stock pads are hh as well btw.

To the op you won't find a better all around pad then stock-stick with them.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
you had another issue going on it wasn't the pads, the stock pads are hh as well btw.

I had some bad shuddering happening under hard braking after about 300 miles with the new pads, some thought it was my steering head bearings, turned out to be the pads eating the rotors and developing a layer of rotor dust on them causing them to slip then bite making for quite a shudder. I was told the gold galfers were hh rated and not suitable for stock rotors. I wasn't aware the stock pads were hh rated as well. Huh, you never stop learning around here, thanks :)

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,372 Posts

Wait, how do you know the stock are HH?

I have called Kawi directly a few times and they are clueless as to what the rating of their pads are.

However a dealership told me it's in the middle of Semi-metallic and HH.

I am in the same boat and have called and searched for a while too.

I know the semi EBC/Galfer are softer and not the initial bite, wear out way quicker but no rotor damage at all (or very little)

Can I also get a few more opinions on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
775 Posts
The front OEM's are HH, but I like the EBC HH's better. The EBC's have more initial bite, which I like. For the rears, I would stay stock.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you do a search, a lot of the more experienced guys here recommend vesrah race pads for the track/street. But nothing much wrong with stock pads.

I've used carbon lorraine, too.

I tend to stay away from EBC. I've heard they are a little harsher on rotors.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thnaks for the advice and opinions. I also thought the stock pads worked just fine. I will be sticking with them. I will send Mary @ SuperbikeSupply a message for a price quote on stock pads front and rear.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The front OEM's are HH, but I like the EBC HH's better. The ABC's have more initial bite, which I like. For the rears, I would stay stock.
Have to correct you on this one,, The OEM pads are "GG" rated. I would recommend going with a EBC or Galfer "Black" pad. The Black pads are "GG" rated and will wear well with the factory rotors.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,083 Posts
My EBC's seem to have more initial bite and better feel. I would recomend stainless lines to, that made a big difference in feel. It also reduced effort to brake.

·
Registered
927 Posts
HUmmm well I just put on EBC pads but had steal lines before. I could care less what happens to my rotors because my brakes work fine. I guess I will see how well the stock rotors hold up and as far as the rear I don't want it locking up but I did put on a new Galfer brake line with stock pads. This is almost to much for the rear to me but you might like it that way.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Have to correct you on this one,, The OEM pads are "GG" rated. I would recommend going with a EBC or Galfer "Black" pad. The Black pads are "GG" rated and will wear well with the factory rotors.
the rears are but I was pretty sure both the kit manual and the service manual made reference to the fronts being HH.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
you already know how well the stock pads perform and how they function...why change...since your not doing track days or anything of that sorts why not stay with the stock pads...unless you need the most outta the brakes when you come to that stop sign...i know i know you need to brake extra fast:)

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
OEM!!!!! Don't get HH's unless your keeping them hot. I know a ton of people are going to say the opposite, but I prefer the OEM's over alot of the aftermarket stuff unless we're talking track use. In which case I ran the OEM's for about 2k miles of track use and they were great. I am now running the SBS carbons and they require some heat, but once they heat cycle one good time they are great pads.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but hey at least I am searching ;)

Say I were to replace the OEM 08 ZX10 rotors with Brembo HP rotors, would the stock pads work the same way? This is of course assuming that I start with NEW pads & rotors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts