Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Which is better MC or Calipers?

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  rocketracermike 
#1 ·
I know that these have been discussed ad nauseum separately, but I couln't find this specific answer. If only one brake mod was going to be done on a Gen I, which is better: change the calipers to the ZX-14 / ZX-6R or change to a radial master cylinder?

#2 ·
No one has done this testing specifically. I think goldfish was going to but hasen't yet. If you were only doing one I thik the calibers might be the better way to go here. I have just the calibers but haven't insalled them because I want to do lines and a MC at the same time.

Also if you get a used set of calibers and don't want to keep them for some reason so you can get a MC you should be able to sell them for almost what you paid.

#3 ·
Are you doing trackdays?

I think the stock calipers properly bled with good brake fluid and in good shape are perfectly fine for the streets. They tend to fade at the track, though. But that's with pretty aggresive use.

Just my impression.

Steel braided brake lines may be better first mod if not done already.

BTW, I have the radial MC but stock calipers. I have a set of Nissin calipers on the shelf but haven't needed to change until the next trackday.

#4 ·
If you change to zx14 brakes you will be happy as & thats the best option

#5 ·
Change the calipers (CBR 1000RR, ZX14/6 Nissin, 4-pot R1). Changing the MC only masks the problem of the OEM Tokico calipers. The OEM MC is fairly small (only 14 mm) so changing to the OEM radial MC (16 mm) will make a difference just due to the fact that you "move" more brake fluid given the same lever travel.
I'm using 4-pot R1 calipers with the OEM MC and its like night and day.
I already suggested this about 2 years ago, but thats another story....

#6 ·
Well I just got done installing the zx6r radial master on mine, already had the calipers from a cbr and just with what I have felt as of yet, the calipers were in my opinion the best bang for the buck. with just swapping calipers first the brakes were ten times better and really good, but you still have a lot of take up before they really engage due to the non-radial MC, so I swapped that out and now mine is on par/better then the 08's, IMO. but the comparison is coming as summer gets closer. :wink:

#9 ·
Do the MC first.
THere more members here that changed their MC's and are happy with them without changing the calipers. There are track-addicts in here too who never changed their calipers and are happy with them.

I say change your MC first, the lines.. if its not enough, change the calipers.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.