Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Arata exhausts are extremely light and produce real power gains. Price is just right for a full Ti system too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually that's not true, pipes in general can only optimize a bikes power output over a very short rpm range. Longer pipes help but only on low rpm and actually take power away at higher rpm where our bikes naturally wake up anyway, besides ram air doesn't kick in till you have speed and RPM up in the higher ranges anyway so why not compliment what our bikes already have going for them? Not to mention the weight and aerodynamic penalties of having a longer pipe setup and possible ground clearance issues with some setups..You want more power down low then drop a tooth in the front and or go up a couple in the rear and it will be just fine at the cost of some top end. I like top end but really once the bike gets moving it has power for days. I just spend more time in higher rpm since that is where the bikes natural power band sits already. Here is an article from bagger but the same principal applies to sports bikes as it does to Harley's
Actually yeah I was going to edit my post by saying that different length pipes affect bikes in different ways. I have had many exhaust. The shorter ones look great but robbed the bike of power where it needed it the most, at the bottom. That’s where I fee the difference most. At high rpm the bike is already crazy so it would be more difficult to feel the difference there. Also if you notice most sbk or Motogp bikes use the longer pipes. Shorter pipes seem to be used more in drag racing. They also seem a lot louder. The longer pipes have a more refined sound. Not as loud. But it’s all personal preference.

I’m seeing more brocks exhausts on bikes nowadays

·
Registered
668 Posts
It's been said before but I'll put in my 2 cents. Having both ridden with and ridden alongside an M4 GP, I can't say this enough...it's too loud. The baffle is really restrictive and kills power so that's not an option either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Twobros, M4, low mounts, shorter systems don't make consistent power gains. They look ricey, too.

Arata, Akra, Arrow are all great. I have a Spark.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Twobros, M4, low mounts, shorter systems don't make consistent power gains. They look ricey, too.

Arata, Akra, Arrow are all great. I have a Spark.
It's a proven fact that slipons in general don't make shit for gains, it's for looks and sound so is much more of a personal preference thing vs anything else. Twobros actually does put thier pipes to test furring development on a Dyno, have you ever been to thier shop and watched them while they are making a new pipe or system? I have, the couple hp they manage to squeeze out is real all be it only a couple. Like I said and like is proven. Shorter pipes make more power at higher rpm and longer pipes help at lower rpm. Since zx10rs don't have much in way of power down low, using a longer pipe isn't going to improve much since it is a % gain type of deal anyway. In the end, unless you complement the pipe with cat delete, intake setup like velocity stacks, air filter, etv opening maps and fueling and timing maps no can is going to do shit past make more noise with a different tone. Of the 3 you mention as being great, akra is the only one I will agree with and only in certain situations. Sounds like you are parroting something you heard somewhere else as fact but have zero proof to back it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shorter pipes make more power at higher rpm and longer pipes help at lower rpm.....

.... Sounds like you are parroting something you heard somewhere else as fact but have zero proof to back it
Here, I've done the homework so you don't have to. I've even given you a representation across different teams and different racing series. I wonder what the common theme is...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cat delete is a given .....longer pipes are used all the time for a reason I’m pretty sure to the bigger the engine the longer the pipe should be. Look at a Ducati. It has a spiral exhaust under the seat. Basically it’s a longer pipe

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Ducati is notoriously a torque monster. They are lower reving and higher torque bikes in general. The v4 revs through the roof but that isn't the characteristics of Ducati up until this point. Also, note that the examples used are MotoGP bikes, those are multi-million dollar a piece bikes, every single part built by hand, the one thing they don't care about is sound beyond harmonics. They want torque when the bike is notoriously low on it so yes they will go with a longer pipe. If they didn't need to use a can they wouldn't. Drag racers are a great example of that. When max power matters vs tuning a 300 hp 3 million dollar bike to get more where it has less or to accent it where it already shines in the case of Ducati and the short gear ratios. Have you looked into more than just pictures? Ie, rules meant to restrict or regulate? To control noise or to balance the playing field? There are so many factors that go into those bikes and why they use what they use and how amazing far and away different they are from the bikes you and I ride is retarded. They are not even close past looks of the same machines

·
Registered
668 Posts
That Graves exhaust on the Superstock 1000 machine pictured above is a beauty!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Shorter pipes make more power at higher rpm and longer pipes help at lower rpm.
EJR Racing / TheBitchNinja is one of the fastest gen5's around, and all his racing is at high speed, all at high rpm... i remember he was asked in one of his vids about why he uses the long akra (could trim some weight with a shorty exhaust) and he replied that he went faster with the longer pipe.

as you pointed out in one of your own replies, there are a lot of factors at play... the specific engine, cam, headers, internal pipe diameter, etc its a recipe with a lot of ingredients... and in the case of the gen5 zx10r specifically it appears that the longer pipes make more power.... on a different bike its possible the shorty style makes more power.

M4 has 3 slipons for the gen5, and they publish their dyno results... this is probably the closest well get to a fair comparison since theyre using a stock bike, same dyno, same operator, etc etc its their in-house numbers so no reason to doubt them.

Tech1 (long) 173.32 HP (although not as long as akra, arrow, etc)
Street Slayer (short) 173.01 HP
GP19 (short) 172.7 HP

the longer exhaust makes the most... BUT, the difference is miniscule... so just get whichever you like best

interestingly... akra also lists power figures for their slipons for the gen5... BUT they dont list peak power gains, just the point in the curve where they gained the most (smart from a marketing perspective, but not useful for an accurate comparison)

akra long slipon power +0.4 kW at 11050 rpm torque +0.7 Nm at 5100 rpm
akra shory slipon power +0.9 kW at 9800 rpm torque +1.1 Nm at 10650 rpm

notice the published rpms for the gains are totally different which makes this a poor comparison, but strangely the longer exhaust added power higher in the rpm, and added torque lower in the rpm... we have no way to know if those were the peak gains, but i assume they published the best point of the chart, rather than a random spot.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah, I like it too.

BTW I believe the Brock's titanium exhaust for the Gen 5 is made by Spark, but seemingly more expensive?

yes brock had mentioned Spark is the OEM for his exhausts (at least the previous exhausts, not sure about their brand new exhaust the "penta carbon"), and while they look pretty much the same in pics, brocks might have slightly different materials/options/measurements than off-the-shelf spark.... but build quality going to be excellent on both.

brocks newest... i guess youd consider it a shorty exhaust... and it make insane power, but this is a full system and an expertly tuned bike of course... would be interesting to switch on a longer pipe to the same biek and see the dyno difference.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts