Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you guys have noticed the pics i post on here are shitty. so its time to get a new camera. I was wondering what kind of camera you guys have. I know just the basics....more megapixels the better...etc. i dont want to spend too much either. any input is great. thanks

nick

·
Registered
84 Posts
seems you have to have something over 3MP to provide "good" pics. 5MP if you really like quality. Anything over 5 is overkill for your average photographer.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Just like everything else. How much do you wanna spend?? :) Anything over 3M will do you fine. It's the features that make the camera cost more. Like a camera with a "smart flash" (auto adjustable..to not over expose pics or to get rid of red-eye)

Also you should look at things like Storage Sony typically makes good cameras but their cards are more money than just about all the other types of card out there. Sony and San-disk are the only people who make them. Fujis XD cards are pricey too. AND trust you will have to buy a card because the cards that come with the cameras might hold 10-12 high quality pics on them. Figure on about 60-100 bucks on top of the price of camera to get a decent size card for your pics.

Having said that. Point and shoot cameras. I'd pic between the Sony DSC 40 the Nikon Coolpic 4600 and the Finepix A340 is nice..but again watch the prices on the XD cards
www.bwayphoto.com (dont work for them, just got my camera from them a few years ago) usally has some good deals..and even cheaper re-furbs if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I bought a BTC 3M camera from Fry's Electronics for $45.00 last year. Has all the bells and whistles I really need...nite vision would have been a nice feature though...I'm too cheap to buy the memory card yet and just run back to the puter copy the pics over when its full....costs more for the card than the cam. Works great though.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I've got a Canon Powershot G5. Makes nice pics. Other good cameras are the SD line from Canon. The SD200 and SD300 are excellent point and shoot cams for good prices. In my opinion, 3 megapixels is plenty for anyone who doesn't print bigger than like 6 X 8 and mostly just posts on the internet or emails their pics. Here's a few shots I took with an old Nikon Coolpix 990 (3.XX megapixel) at Cheaha Mountian in Alabama on a ride.

Attachments

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
EL D helped me select my SD200. Been very happy with it. Excellent quality. Super low price for what you get. My shots would be better if i bothered learning a thing or two.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I got the Canon SD500 and love it, researched for like 3 months before getting it and then bought it the week it came out. I ususally keep in in 1600x1200 mode, so its about 1mb a shot, great features and easy to use. Good movie clips also. I got the 1GB ultra 2 card which i recommend also.

·
Registered
424 Posts
this may be more than you want...

but it may help you decide:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

and

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/bguide/0,guid,12,00.asp

I wouldn't buy more than a 4MP unless you plan to print bigger than 8x10. You'll have to resize everything anyway to upload it or send it in email. With that said, if you plan to crop pics then the higher MP's is handy.
I would also look for a model that used an SD card. The secure digital memory card is much cheaper than many of the other formats.

good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a Canon G5 like ED, it is a biggish camera by todays standards but I am willing to carry it simply because it takes very good pics, in a way the damn thing is smarter than me too :badteeth:

If you seriously want to take good quality photos you really need to look at getting a camera with a decent lens, some of the new "pocket" cameras with 5MP + CCD's with a small tiny lens can't hold a candle to my G5 in picture detail and clarity :cool:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
For me one of the most important things is for the camera to be small. If its not small I wont end up carrying it.

Ive got an old Cannon s400 that i love.

This is a new sony. I like the fact that the lcd view screen folds to a covered position. Nice camera if you dont mind the sony mem sticks

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/m1.html

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi all,

Well, I've used Sony, Canon, and Nikon, and by far, the best results I've had, both with overall picture quality and camera quality, is with the Nikons. I just bought a nice 6.2 MgP Nikon D70 for my work. I can shoot a photo of a semi-concealed marijuana grow site from 500-700 ft. from a hovering helicopter, with crystal clarity. I can even make excellent 11" x14" blow-ups, that are near 35mm quality. The best price I've seen on these are in package form, with a nice general purpose lens. They can be purchased from many on-line vendors at about $1,200.00.....get one if you can afford it, you won't go wrong.

For a VERY affordable, very easy to carry and use 3.2 MgP camera, go with a Nikon Coolpix 3100. They're available everywhere for around $225.00 +/-. A great camera, and the one I use the most for all-around photography. It even fits easily in our TINY!!!!! ZX-10 trunk.

Take care,

JJ

·
Registered
803 Posts
Since this is the Internet, I thought you'd get more "geeky" answers. It really depends on what kind of shooting you think you'll be doing and whether you plan to do a lot of post-processing (crops, etc.).

I have an old Canon S300 (2.1 MP, 3x zoom) and a Sony W1 (5MP, 3x zoom). They are the same size.

The Canon takes better pictures, but you can't zoom in very far or make 8x10 prints. For posting on the web, it's more than enough camera.

The Sony is newer, so it's fast. Most of the new cameras start up and are ready to shoot very quickly (there are some exceptions). I do a lot of Photoshop work, so the high resolution is important.

If you're looking for something to carry with you all the time, both of these cameras are too large. Something like the G5 or G6 is way too big to keep with you at all times, though they take excellent pictures.

If you want to take indoor shots, most digital cameras suck. The optics simply do not collect enough light to take good pictures indoors without a flash. Also, the image sensors are not as sensitive to light as conventional film. It tends to be worse with the newer high-resolution sensors, though I hear the new Sony 7.1 MP sensor is pretty good.

For a good carry-everywhere digicam for amateur shots to post on the web, any of the small 3.1 MP cameras will be fine. I'm partial to the picture quality of the Canons, so one of the SD series would get my vote.

I don't have such a camera because the optics aren't quite up to snuff, but I'm saddled with this relatively large W1.

If you can deal with the larger form factor, the Canon S70 is really good.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts