Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 08 zx 10 and love the bike too much to race it and destroy it.Money is a factor and i am new to racing,so i wont buy new,so am looking at 2003 to 2006 bikes.I am, 6 foot 230 and i have wached the 600 races which are the most popular but the most dangerous as the kids in their are just crazy and crash all the time.It is hard enough to focus on your race let alone some idiots around the track as well.So i am looking at suzuki gsxr 750 or 1000 or maybe cbr.I want a bike that will be a good track bike to start with,cheap on parts,easy for me to work on and repair.Something i can grow into,i dont want to put time and money into a bike only to sell it later on to move on to something better.Yes,i know i am posting this on a kawai board but i figure some racers on here could give personal input and info?

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I a friend of mine is 240 without gear and got a GSXR 1000 track bike and he loves it...

Lots of bike available as are parts too...

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Do you want to race it, or do you want to do track days?

Track days are expensive. Racing can be Reeeeeeeeaaaallly expensive.

If you want to do track days, buy whatever floats your boat and fits your budget. It really doesn't matter whether the bike is competitive in its class. Track days are also not normally subdivided by type of bike - rather by how much experience the rider has. Keep in mind that you are more likely to learn faster on a small bike (that forces you to learn cornering speed and won't put you on your head in a high-side as easily).

If you want to go racing, your number one task is to pick the organization that you want to race with, and obtain the rule book (most of them are on-line these days). Racing is divided into many types of classes depending on the bike (and into novice/expert/pro experience levels). As a general rule, not all classes exist at all experience levels, and for any given class, there will normally be a small number of bike models that are actually competitive. There will be a larger number of bike models that are legal for the class, but maybe not as competitive (but keep in mind that a professional rider on an EX500 on a tight track will absolutely whip a novice on a GSXR1000). This is why you need to read the rule book and maybe spectate at a few races to see what's what.

*Locally* the best race bike to start off with, I would suggest is currently a Suzuki SV650. But it may be different in other areas.

There aren't many 750cc classes left any more. This leaves the GSXR750 in limbo: not legal for 600, not competitive in Superbike except maybe on a tight track where it may be easier to ride.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Do you want to race it, or do you want to do track days?

Track days are expensive. Racing can be Reeeeeeeeaaaallly expensive.

If you want to do track days, buy whatever floats your boat and fits your budget. It really doesn't matter whether the bike is competitive in its class. Track days are also not normally subdivided by type of bike - rather by how much experience the rider has. Keep in mind that you are more likely to learn faster on a small bike (that forces you to learn cornering speed and won't put you on your head in a high-side as easily).
:+1: Buy some plastics for you 10 and do some track days!!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm not an expert in racing by any means....but i'm pretty sure "learning" to race on a 1000 is a pretty bad idea.

I worked with a guy who tried it on his R1....he got lapped in an 8 lap club race. Didn't even finish because he was so far off the pace. He's not a slow rider either, he was in the advanced class in all the track days and was competitive there.

Racing is a whole new level from track days, and starting on the biggest bike out there just doesnt sound right.

But that's just my $.02. I'd recommend getting into the SV650 class. Better yet, the newer "dirtbike" based 450 singles with race bodywork look like a blast, i'm not sure if they have a class yet or not though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have a 636 and 10 (and had a 6R and 250) and I agree with bloo. For track days just ride what you are most comfortable on. For full on racing you have a lot of research to do.

Personally, I love my 636 because it feels just like a mini version of my 10. That said it’s just like my 10 less about 50 hp, so I’d rather just be riding the 10 with track plastics and good frame sliders.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've been doing track days for several years now, and if you have never done a track day, you NEED to do several before you ever think about doing your first race! Whatever you've seen on the street and think is fast is NOTHING compared to what the guys at the track can ride like. Most racers and advanced or expert track day riders don't even ride street anymore. I'm intermediant myself and i have stopped riding street all together as well. Also, (around here anyways), most of the guys that show up at the track days to ride that do race all ride in the advanced/expert group in track days.... I've never come across one novice racer that doesn't ride in the advanced/expert group at a track day! And you better be DAMN fast to ride in Expert! Go do a couple track days and see how you face up against the guys out there. If you can't ride AND keep up in the Advanced/expert group then you're just wasting your $ going to race, unless of course you don't care if you finish dead last?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
To many bikes out there to list, but a solid 600 wouldnt be bad, but I'd say with your size a good liter bike would be better though. I'm sure you can find a good deal on a bill of sale zx10r for about 2-3 grand just for the track. I saw one for 3100 fully modded out with race fairings the other day, it was a first gen. 05...

·
5,932 Posts
zx9r would be a great bike and you could pick a track only bike up for dirt cheap, bet 2500 obo with bill of sale. Saw one the last time I hit up jennings and the guy had 2 zx9r's and a 250r ninja for his wife he said, picked all three of them up on bill of sale at 5100 he said flat and they all three were modded like hell. But who knows where bikes like that come from, either stolen from someone or someone was financing it and said it was stole or something along those lines.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would agree with what you wrote about most riders on 600's if you were taking about this say....3 to 4 years ago. With track day being so abundant these days, riders are learning a lot before they step into racing! Another good thing about track days is the organizers don’t want to see anyone go down or get hurt, so they do a great job of keeping “at risk” riders in check!

If you're still really worried about it, I would step into an SV650 or a Ninja 650 (not as many after market parts as the SV yet but a good bike nun the less). The riders are usually a little older and a little more....say....self preserving so to speak)
Another benefit to running the 650 is tire wear. They just don't eat up tires like the 600 or 1000's. (i.e. MORE fun for your buck)

I don't know about other clubs but here in MN the CRA novices can not race leader class bikes. so starting with a 500, 600r, 650, or twin 1000+cc motorbikes is the best way to start doing track days and still be able to step into racing with out the added cost of buying another bike.

·
5,932 Posts
yeah I had two sv650s's along time ago for the track and loved it and at the time I had a 05 zx6r for the street.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
T

Thanks for all the help i will stick to track days for now on my zx 10 and check out the competition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts