Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I would say smack in the centre, too far from the door and smoke from another room has already got in, to close to the door and it would take time to detect smoke from the other side of the room , I think you have to sum up where would the source of smoke more likely to be, from inside the room or from outside.

One thing I was told and I dont know if this is really true, cool smoke stays on the floor ,only hot smoke rises.

Congrats on the little one by the way.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I think a good place for a second one is right next to the fuse box depending on where it is.

My parents fuse box is out of the way and in sort of a cabinet so I put a detector there.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Put it near the door. Most codes here require that because if the smoke rolls through the hallway it'll go off,and if this room is actually on fire,it will travel to the hallway and make it go off...
In theory,anywhere in the room is much better than none at all.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Code here requires the smoke detector to be in the hallway outside the bedroom, but you're free to put more smoke detectors than required and it doesn't matter where those go.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I just purchased a brand new house and there is one inside each bedroom about about 2 feet inside the door, one in the hall way, one in the laundry room, one in the family room/kitchen and the living room/dining room share one. Oh I forgot one is in the garage which I never heard of before. Nine smoke detectors and 3 of them are smoke/carbon detectors.

Close to the door is a good place.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Wow ... either that house is huge, or code requirements are extreme, or the builder went overboard! My place has one in the hall where all the bedrooms open into, one above the front entrance, and one downstairs near the main electrical panel.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Dont put it right over the door, then smoke coming through the hall way could draft past it. Smoke rises so I would put it on the ceiling around the middle of the room or on the door side. Maybe on a wall a few inches from the ceiling. I have one in all the bedrooms, one in the hallway and one in the kitchen.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
GoFaster said:
Wow ... either that house is huge, or code requirements are extreme, or the builder went overboard! My place has one in the hall where all the bedrooms open into, one above the front entrance, and one downstairs near the main electrical panel.
Its huge. 3500 sqft

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Found this article

Installation

The placement of smoke detectors is very important. Sleeping areas need the most protection. One detector in a short hallway outside the bedroom area is usually adequate. Hallways longer than 30 feet should have one at each end. For maximum protection, install a detector in each bedroom.

Be sure to keep the detector away from fireplaces and wood stoves to avoid false alarms. Place smoke detectors at the top of each stairwell and at the end of each long hallway. Smoke rises easily through stairwells. If you should put a smoke detector in your kitchen, be sure to keep it away from cooking flames or smoking areas.

Proper mounting of a smoke detector also is important. You can mount many detectors by yourself but those connected to your household wiring should have their own separate circuit and be installed by a professional electrician. If you mount your detector on the ceiling, be sure to keep it at least 18 inches away from dead air space near walls and corners. If you mount it on the wall, place it six to 12 inches below the ceiling and away from corners. Keep them high because smoke rises.

Never place them any closer than three feet from an air register that might recirculate smoke. Don’t place them near doorways or windows where drafts could impair the detector operation. Don't place them on an uninsulated exterior wall or ceiling. Temperature extremes can affect the batteries.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Go with the code...at the very lease. Because if you sell the house, they require the smoke detectors be in the correct place. May save you from having to move them.

GoFaster said:
Code here requires the smoke detector to be in the hallway outside the bedroom, but you're free to put more smoke detectors than required and it doesn't matter where those go.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Old code was one in central hallway, new homes are requored to have one in each bedroom. You might want to consider going with the interconnected models where if one goes off they all go off. It can be a PITA wiring sometimes, but that's what we did in our house. Now even if the basement one goes off the whole house starts chirping loud enough to wake the dead.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
The article you found is usually the correct way to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts