Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to start following racing this year and I really enjoyed watching the ama. Motogp was great too but how come kawi doesn't have a bike in the race!?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so is that on speed as well? I live in ny. When could I catch a race and what channel? Sorry for being a noob but is one higher skilled than the next? Or just organizations run by different people?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
AMA is just US stuff. WSBK (World Superbike) is 1000cc machines loosely based on the stock machines, I'm honestly not 100% on what components they share and what they don't. MotoGP currently uses 800cc "prototype" machines, which basically equates to anything goes type bikes. To my (limited) knowledge the WSBK bikes generally make more power, but the MotoGP bikes handle better and tend to lap a little faster. I think most would agree MotoGP is considered to be the best of the best, and WSBK would be the next step below it. I tend to like the riders "personalities" in MotoGP a bit more, I think they're able to be more of themselves than you sometimes see in other series'. WSBK can be seen on SPEED at various times, they normally run 2 races, and you can also catch a Supersport class as well, which run 600cc machines.

If I'm wrong on any of this please feel free to correct me, anyone.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would agree that MotoGP is the better of the two championship series. I watch as many of both series as possible and usually catch all the MotoGP races.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I think AMA and WSBK has more exciting racing than Moto Gp. I watch them all though.
It comes and goes IMO. I don't have access to DVR so I haven't seen anything this year (I hate that) but it all comes down to the last few laps for me. If someone has run away with a 10 second lead it's just no fun to watch, but when you get some really good battles like Rossi and Lorenzo were putting on last year then it's really nice.

·
Registered
276 Posts
AMA is just US stuff. WSBK (World Superbike) is 1000cc machines loosely based on the stock machines, I'm honestly not 100% on what components they share and what they don't. MotoGP currently uses 800cc "prototype" machines, which basically equates to anything goes type bikes. To my (limited) knowledge the WSBK bikes generally make more power, but the MotoGP bikes handle better and tend to lap a little faster. I think most would agree MotoGP is considered to be the best of the best, and WSBK would be the next step below it. I tend to like the riders "personalities" in MotoGP a bit more, I think they're able to be more of themselves than you sometimes see in other series'. WSBK can be seen on SPEED at various times, they normally run 2 races, and you can also catch a Supersport class as well, which run 600cc machines.

If I'm wrong on any of this please feel free to correct me, anyone.

You are correct on MotoGP. Prototype bikes with an 800 cc limit and a minimum weights varying between 135 and 165 kg depending on the amount of cylinders. They will allow up to 6 cylinder bikes. Most are 2's (ducati) or fours (everyone else). MotoGP engine displacement limits again will increase to 1000 cc's in 2012.

World Superbike are based on production bikes that are available to the public. The bikes here are heavier, and if MotoGP is motorcycles equivalent to Formula 1, WorldSBK is equivalent to touring cars.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You are correct on MotoGP. Prototype bikes with an 800 cc limit and a minimum weights varying between 135 and 165 kg depending on the amount of cylinders. They will allow up to 6 cylinder bikes. Most are 2's (ducati) or fours (everyone else). MotoGP engine displacement limits again will increase to 1000 cc's in 2012.

World Superbike are based on production bikes that are available to the public. The bikes here are heavier, and if MotoGP is motorcycles equivalent to Formula 1, WorldSBK is equivalent to touring cars.
Thanks for expanding on my explanation, the comparison of F1 to MotoGP is a pretty accurate one... F1 is fucking nuts though, their engineers are all slightly off their rockers.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
I really enjoy moto gp (and F1) as they are the pinnacle of their respective sports. However, for my money, WSBK is the best racing to watch, those guys are cut throat and its the most physical form of road racing. If you really want to watch a nail biter, check out a world supersport race, those races are intense every lap, every race.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Oh I know...I just have that hope every year. :badteeth: I'm a Saints fan from the beginning. It's in my blood. Occasionally it comes to be...like the Saints Super Bowl season. :eek:ccasion1

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
i'm soooooo stoked all the racing is back on! First F1 race is today too, thank fuck for speed and my dvr :wink: I cannot wait till GP goes back to 1000cc, feels like the racing, as good as it has been at times, wasnt quite there like 06-earlier but it might just be me. WSBK usually has the most competition overall, next being SS AMA (bad ass racing right there)

Great time of year is here gentleman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
i'm soooooo stoked all the racing is back on! First F1 race is today too, thank fuck for speed and my dvr :wink: I cannot wait till GP goes back to 1000cc, feels like the racing, as good as it has been at times, wasnt quite there like 06-earlier but it might just be me. WSBK usually has the most competition overall, next being SS AMA (bad ass racing right there)

Great time of year is here gentleman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gooooo McClaren Mercedes Inernational!!!!! Red Bull looks hard to beat.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,727 Posts
Somebodys fixin to get a spoiler warnign from a mod in a major way! Read the sticky's guys now race/practice/qualifying results in the threads without a spoiler alert. Thanks alot, I wont bother to download superpole now!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts