Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple of weeks ago I decided to replace my pads with some galfer HH pads before a Jennings GP track day. I told my mechanic to not put the backing plate from my OEM pads on my new ones. I now have a vibration on initial brake input and it goes away with more firm pressure. It started before my track day and trip to deals gap so I don't think I warped the rotors at a track day. I seem to think that those plates on the back of the pads must preload them against the rotor a bit. Now I never saw the actual plates that we have all spoken about so If anyone has a pic of them I would appriciate it. Also I don't see them on the parts diagram on kawa.com. Where can I get them? The only other service I had done at the same time was have the front tire replaced

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
tigerflyboy said:
So a couple of weeks ago I decided to replace my pads with some galfer HH pads before a Jennings GP track day. I told my mechanic to not put the backing plate from my OEM pads on my new ones. I now have a vibration on initial brake input and it goes away with more firm pressure. It started before my track day and trip to deals gap so I don't think I warped the rotors at a track day. I seem to think that those plates on the back of the pads must preload them against the rotor a bit. Now I never saw the actual plates that we have all spoken about so If anyone has a pic of them I would appriciate it. Also I don't see them on the parts diagram on kawa.com. Where can I get them? The only other service I had done at the same time was have the front tire replaced

wonder if they bent the rotor a hair when replacing the front tire?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me but it was the rotor. The guy that changed my tires had sprayed bead lock crap on my front rotors. When i hit the brakes it glazed my pads. I had to bead blast the rotor and replace the pads. I tried sanding them but it didn't work.

·
Registered
852 Posts
When you buy the oem pads they come with new shims. Why, exactly, did you switch from the oem pads? What about them was unsatisfactory?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
mad kaw said:
When you buy the oem pads they come with new shims. Why, exactly, did you switch from the oem pads? What about them was unsatisfactory?

I changed mine as I felt the brake lever hitting the grip after a few laps was a bit unsafe.

The stock pads fade bad under strong use.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I Have Only Hear The Stock Pads Doing That On The Track....which Is Understandable...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
crispin said:
I changed mine as I felt the brake lever hitting the grip after a few laps was a bit unsafe.

The stock pads fade bad under strong use.

lmao..unsafe huh... :crackup:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Nasty10R said:
What about the little clip that goes above the pads does that need to be put back or is it unimportant?
Im just guessing here...but if it helps to hold you brakes together, Id put it back on there...

·
Registered
235 Posts
It looks like they are there just to keep them from vibrating or something, but I put them back anyway. I think I finally got the brakes to where I want them now as far as lever feel. I bled two bottles of Dot 4 through them with a mighty vac, and put new pads on with out the little discs on the back, and now they feel like I put some viagara in the lines...Rock hard baby! LOL I have a track day coming up next month so we'll see how they perform in that environment.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I look foreward to hearing you track report!

And pics too ofcourse!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts