Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm certainly not looking for my hoses to blow off. I may just buy a new standard cap and try it out.

The issue is my bike keeps spitting out coolant. Anytime I have to sit in traffic or I get stuck behind some slow-moving vehicle through the twisties, the bike temps just shoot up. I've drained the cooling system, refilled, burped it, etc., and it'll run fine until the bike temps start to climb. The fan comes on, but it doesn't seem to do any good. A few weeks ago, it started bubbling over while I was riding. I got stuck behind a freakin' truck pulling a camper trailer that did about 25 MPH, so my bike got really hot and started spitting out coolant while I was riding. I was trying to diagnose the problem by looking at the simplest things first, which means I'll first try replacing the radiator cap, followed by replacing the thermostat if the cap isn't the problem.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
install a 2nd fan hooked to a switch so you can flip in on while setting in traffic or whatever. on the right side of the radiator there is plenty of room to mount almost any factory fan and then run a 2 wire switch. bingo!!! done this on my last 4-5 bikes here in Houston and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
install a 2nd fan hooked to a switch so you can flip in on while setting in traffic or whatever. on the right side of the radiator there is plenty of room to mount almost any factory fan and then run a 2 wire switch. bingo!!! done this on my last 4-5 bikes here in Houston and it works like a charm.
I saw the write-up on it and it sounds like I'm going to have to do it. Frankly, I'm irritated that it needs to be done in the first place. I've never had any overheating issues with my other streetbikes or racebikes.

Edit: Linking the fan switch install in here so I can find it later

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21766

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
Replace the radiator cap before you do anything else. If it's not holding pressure or if it isn't sealing properly to the top of the housing, it'll cause trouble, but it's an easy replacement.

There is nothing special about this radiator cap. If you take the cap to your friendly local auto parts store, you can match it up to one of the same style in one of several pressure ratings.

·
Registered
700 Posts
They are 19-21psi stock i most cars are 14-16 psi. I don't think you need any more pressure than that. You have other problems. Or just a bad cap. Replace it with stock pressure and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts