Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background - I wrecked my bike, I swiped another motorcycle.

His footpeg penetrated the cover for the timing rotor on the right side of the motor. The impact sheared off quite alot of teeth from the spining rotor gear, 15 of them to be exact.

The oil has been flushed and today the pan was pulled, 7 were sitting in the pan. That leaves 8 MIA.

Where in the hell could they have gone to? They didn't get out of the cover, the cover had a slit in the middle, the pieces had to have fallen down into the drain hole going to the pan (I would think)

I think the big unknown here is what happened right as the teeth sheared off. AS I hit the other bike I was already up at 20 degree angle or so (on the front tire of course) then as I impacted (which will also be the same time that the motor stopped as now it has no more spark and the rear tire was not on the ground to spin the motor) I went past 90 degree and front flipped the bike landing it on its left side.

I also wonder if perhaps the motor spun a bit after it lost spart allowing the pieces to get into the timing chain which could have carried them somewhere else into the motor?

I have cranked the motor over a few times and nothing sounded bad (of course it didn't start) or like metal caught up into the moving parts anywhere.

My builder asked my what I want to do. I said put the pan on and the stock header and start the bike. Let it run and pull the pan back off and see if we cant find the rest of the pieces.

This FN sucks!!! Now I wish I had just bought a new bike and parted out this one.

Anyone have any ideas????

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
crispin i hate to say it but in order to give yourself piece of mind that motor needs to be completely disassembled. :1848:

BD

·
Registered
215 Posts
Or cram a few magnets at the bottom of the pan to pick up any loose fragments,you dont want those sucked into the oil pump.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Pull the oil filter and split it open. Check the paper element closely for shavings. :dontknow: Maybe they got ground up.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long do you think the motor would spin without spark?

By the time I made the impact I would think the motor was at idle as I had been on the breaks for about 2 seconds already.

I just dont think they could have gotten into the oil pump or filter.

These peices are about 1/8" x 1/4" each.

What about this idea? I put the bike together and ride the shit out of it.

If the motor pops I bring it to Kawi and say WTF? Oh yea hopefully it pops before March when my warrenty ends.

I think they got into the timing chain which could have carried them up to the cams. Who here has looked behind the rotor cover? Some neat shit in there.

Anyway this whole thing sucks as I already bought all new plastic and a new subframe.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
This is what happened to my friend's 10R when the alternator rotor sheared off. Chunks got taken up into the top end by the timing chain, etc. and gacked the cams pretty good.

If you have chunks that are unaccounted for, you really need to do a tear down on that engine.

Look at the bright side: this is a good excuse to do a thin head gasket and replace & degree the cams.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CanyonCarver said:
This is what happened to my friend's 10R when the alternator rotor sheared off. Chunks got taken up into the top end by the timing chain, etc. and gacked the cams pretty good.

If you have chunks that are unaccounted for, you really need to do a tear down on that engine.

Look at the bright side: this is a good excuse to do a thin head gasket and replace & degree the cams.
Damn that is probley what happened to mine as well.

How did his rotor teeth get sheared off?

Can the valve cover be removed without taking the motor off?

Hmmm... mabey I should have the motor tore apart

·
Registered
215 Posts
Remember,if you go with the thin head gasket,u have to start gettin in the habit of using high octane fuel everytime you ride because of the higher compression.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
10r_racr said:
Remember,if you go with the thin head gasket,u have to start gettin in the habit of using high octane fuel everytime you ride because of the higher compression.
I have only used 93 since I was 16.

i use it in everything I own.

oh yea, everything I own is high-performance.

But thanks for the tip anyway!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
crispin said:
Damn that is probley what happened to mine as well.

How did his rotor teeth get sheared off?

Can the valve cover be removed without taking the motor off?

Hmmm... mabey I should have the motor tore apart
Evidently, Kawasaki determined that an improperly installed alternator (or generator, not sure what they're calling it) when the bike was built caused an o-ring to pinch, restricting proper oil flow. This had a double-impact, as the alternator wasn't seated properly, causing the gears to not align properly. And it also starved it for oil. This all caused the gear to self-destruct and blow chunks throughout the engine.

And yes, the valve cover can be removed without removing the engine from the bike. I would definitely tear the engine apart, if I were in your shoes. Sorry, I know that's probably not what you want to hear. :sad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts