1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there will be no employee of the month for sometime:mrgreen:

Strike Shuts Down Harley-Davidson Plant

Updated 2:13 AM ET February 2, 2007

YORK, Pa. (AP) - Union workers began a strike against Harley-Davidson Inc. at midnight Friday, picketing at the company's largest manufacturing plant.

More than 50 workers gathered at the main gate of the company's York facilities as the strike began, said Tom Boger, a union representative for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local 175.

Boger said the company installed cement barricades to block access to all gates, even empty parking lots.

The strike comes two days after unionized workers rejected the company's contract offer and authorized a walkout.

In anticipation of the strike, the company shut down production at the plant on Thursday.

"We are obviously disappointed by the union's decision," Fred Gates, general manager of Harley-Davidson's York operations, said in a statement Thursday. "The proposed contract was structured to help manage future costs that could be detrimental to our business over the long term."

The statement also announced the suspension of production of the company's Touring and Softail motorcycles.

The company said its proposal included annual wage increases of 4 percent over three years. But part of the increase depended on the union agreeing to contribute toward health insurance coverage; unionized employees currently pay no premium. It also would have doubled the company's 401(k) retirement plan contributions and created a two-tier wage system under which new hires would be paid less than current ones.

Boger said the union was prepared to return to negotiations.

"We'll wait for the company to call us," he said.

The facility employs more than 3,200 union and nonunion workers

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
That's a hot topic ... The traditional "big 3" manufacturing plants in this province are all headed downhill while Toyota and Honda and all their suppliers are taking up the slack, and guess what the big diff between a Honda plant and a GM plant is ... The CAW is crying the blues, but the net effect on the province's labour market is a wash ...

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Wonder how they feel about those harley tattoos 90% of them probably have?

·
Registered
259 Posts
rocketracermike said:
The company said its proposal included annual wage increases of 4 percent over three years. But part of the increase depended on the union agreeing to contribute toward health insurance coverage; unionized employees currently pay no premium. It also would have doubled the company's 401(k) retirement plan contributions and created a two-tier wage system under which new hires would be paid less than current ones.
If this is the whole story then it seems like a decent deal for the workers. Guaranteed 4% per year for 3 years+ double 401(k) contribution. C'mon, the way healthcare costs are out of control there's no way companies will/can continue to cover the full cost. My company has gone from covering the full insurance cost to where I pay about $250/month for a family. The total cost is about $1,200 per month :eek:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
merged

·
Registered
707 Posts
I showed this thread to my buddy who work(ed) at Bombardier ( the Airplance manufacturer that just laid off about 3000 people.

Text below is from him

Fucking unions are ruining everything, I was suspended for two weeks because I picked up some trash that was on the ground on my way out

i.e picked up a can and dropped it into trash can 10 feet away, why you ask ?

because the person who was supposed to pick up trash complained, ( our lots are filthy because the fuckers don't do their job in the first place )

Believe it or not this guy made $6 per hour more than me ( I went trade school for two years )

we should know that there is something wrong when unions start forcing companies to start paying $22 per hour to people incharge of picking up can's off the parking lots

Then we wonder why Americas went from a manufacturing economy to consumer economy.

quit bitching and make sure your unions are working for your betterment and not ruining your future by making companies incompetitive

Dave

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
CMG, I'm glad you said that, not me ... I'm 100% in agreement ...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Harley has been spending a lot of time in China. Probably more jobs to export here. Anyone been to a Harley dealership lately? Most are overloaded with bikes anyway.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have to agree. Unions are good and bad, but unions are sucking bussiness dry. look at the big three. Skilled workers get paid and unskilled people do too. $25 an hour floor sweepers?? come on. Now toyota is not in the mix of unions. I live and work here in florida, the right to work state. Wages kinda suck but we dont pay a state tax so in some ways it good and we dont pay union dues. I mean i know these big companies make money but people dont understand how much it keeps them going. Now on the company end I think they should axe tons of white collar fat cats, like Ford should be doing now.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
12RPilot said:
We have an agreement where I work. They pay me just enough not to quit, and I work just hard enough not to get fired.
:crackup:
Wait a minute, I'm self-employed, how's that going to work? :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts