Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new 2008 zx10r has 510 miles on it . im trying to break it in right for once . so when is the best time to change to synthetic oil :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
...don't think it makes as much of a difference with todays engines as it did in the "old days" but I usually wait until around 1k miles. :dontknow:

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Opinions are like...well, you know. :mrgreen:

My opinion is 2.5k, by then it'll be completely broken in.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I usually let it hit 5K before synthetic goes in but I would think anything above 2500 and the rings and everything else will be well worn in.
________
BMW MANUFACTURING CO. SPARTANBURG

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,738 Posts
just hit the button.. this has been discuseed a million times..
but in the end, it all comes down to your own opinion since you'll get more than a hundred different answers on this.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I went to synthetic in my 07 at 100 miles, have 1700 miles now and purrs like a kitten. Like the dude said, newer engines dont need the long break in (unless you want it) Main thing is to get the first one done soon, to get any metal flakes out ASAP. I would almost say change with dino....go 100 miles then throw in the syn.

my .02

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I did my 06 at 500 miles & still runnin strong over 30,000 miles on it Im gonna do the same with my 08 & runnin the same oil in my 01 trackbike 06 10r & now my 08 10r keeping the same weight & brand of oil easier to remember for next oil change.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discounting the miles, make sure you've run the thing pretty hard before thinking about changing to synthetic. Essentially get all your engine wear / bedding in out of the way, then go synthetic as apart from starting, engine wear goes to negligible.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Run it balls out for the first 200 miles,, change the oil, and then do what you want.... Motors now aren't the way they used to be... If you think otherwise your an idiot. They dyno the things off the assembly line to make sure they are up to snuff. Thats a fact, and if you ride it around like a pussy you just take longer to seat the rings "if" they aren't already seated from your dealer hanging its balls out before he gave it to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts