Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running a 520 kit I've gotten 10k miles from the sprocket with smooth riding and not Dumping the clutch. The chain is beginning to make sounds so I am getting new sprockets and my question is this. After 10k miles is the chain simply stretched out more and needs to be readjusted or is it wearing out and needs replacing. Suprisingly the AFAM sprockets look strong but I am going -1 +2

Also what kind of change in attitude on the bike can I expect with the change in gearing? Dramatic or mild?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I usually keep clean & lube my chain every 300-400 miles & check adj regurally.Keep a look out for it starting to kink if that happens get another chain before it gets to bad. I have seen guy's waste a chain pretty quick due to neglect. I have gotten 1400 hard miles out of my 520 so far & it is about due for a change & that is w/proper care & maintenance, actually Tuesday I will be picking up a new chain at a local shop here in Kc.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks maybe I am just babying my bike too much haha I know I don't ride as hard as alot of people but I've had more than a few tell me I ride pretty aggressively. Perhaps it's time to change it up. I know there is 2 sticky links that aren't kinked but they aren't as free moving as the rest of the links.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I am currently running a 520 kit I've gotten 10k miles from the sprocket with smooth riding and not Dumping the clutch. The chain is beginning to make sounds so I am getting new sprockets and my question is this. After 10k miles is the chain simply stretched out more and needs to be readjusted or is it wearing out and needs replacing. Suprisingly the AFAM sprockets look strong but I am going -1 +2

Also what kind of change in attitude on the bike can I expect with the change in gearing? Dramatic or mild?
Sounds are one thing but the key to a chains longevity will be the high & low spots as the wheel is turned by hand slowly so check the chain sag as it rotates and note the high(tight) spot and then check the low(loose) spot as its rotated and if theres a significant diff (ie 2") and perhaps more than 1 its time for a replacement.

As for change with -1 +2 it'll be dramatic, throttle wheelies in 2nd, 3rd will be the norm with a substantial reduction in top speed(170)

BD

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Thanks maybe I am just babying my bike too much haha I know I don't ride as hard as alot of people but I've had more than a few tell me I ride pretty aggressively. Perhaps it's time to change it up. I know there is 2 sticky links that aren't kinked but they aren't as free moving as the rest of the links.

Typically around 10k-15k is the limit. If your chain is making excessive noise and some links are stiff, it is defiantely time for a new chain. If you weren't changing to a different gearing then the sprockets would probably be fine til the next chain depending on checking the sprockets for any leaning or excessive wear on the teeth.

Tread

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love this website. Wow that takes a big chunk of the top end maybe if I go -1 +1 (Ok honestly I don't hit the top end on this bike because I ride city streets and I stopped doing my 160mph runs down the freeway as there is too many times I've caught nails in my tires during these runs and that's just tempting the reaper) but I do want to keep my cruise RPM similar.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
What are you currently running? If stock, I would suggest the 16-40 combo. I know myself and Bloo are running -1+1 and I really like it. I am running the 525 setup rather than the 520 because I don't race and would rather have the 525 as a safeguard than the 520, a lot of people run it with no problems but I personally will stay with the stock size chain.

Tread

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
What are you currently running? If stock, I would suggest the 16-40 combo. I know myself and Bloo are running -1+1 and I really like it. I am running the 525 setup rather than the 520 because I don't race and would rather have the 525 as a safeguard than the 520, a lot of people run it with no problems but I personally will stay with the stock size chain.

Tread
i too stayed with 525 pitch but changed to a 16t wth AFAM rear cog

BD

·
Registered
251 Posts
On my '99 R1, which gets ridden all year round through salty and wet British roads, I changed it when it became noisy, with tight spots, at around 22,000 miles. I messed up and replaced it with a Triple C chain which was useless, tight spots from 2,000 miles and I had to adjust it twice a week. I ditched it and replaced it with an oem kit, after 8,000 miles I have to adjust it about once a month and I think it's fine for another 8,000. I don't clean it much, but I lube it about two to three times a week, I ride around 550 commuter miles a week.

I've done 17,000 on my 636 C1H and the chain has only been adjusted a few times, I reckon another 5,000 at least before replacement is needed.

Don't forget, chains don't stretch, the looseness is caused by 110 bearings all wearing a little.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts