Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone over my bike top to bottom and front to back. The only thing I'm still considering is wheels. I know the major advantages are acceleration, braking, side-to-side transition and of course looks. I don't really need it to accelerate faster or brake harder. I would like faster side-to-side transitions and of course the looks........

So, do you folks think it is worth it???

Thanks, Steve

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Where you will find better transitional loads is by baffling the fuel in the tank , by either running a divider or foam to stop slosh.

Try running pretty empty and see how well the bike turns, then go to the gas station and half fill the tank and then just lean the bike side to side and see how poor the transition is because of the inertia moments from the fuel sloshing, then fill up the tank and see how the moments are less accute.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im confused with the replys..... i always thougt that good wheels made a big diference on the handling :dontknow:
They do, and that is part of the reason that I'm considering them. I'm just struggling with the "bang for the buck" issue. Because, it is a lot of bucks........

·
Registered
801 Posts
They do, and that is part of the reason that I'm considering them. I'm just struggling with the "bang for the buck" issue. Because, it is a lot of bucks........
Especially magnesium :eek2:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
Best money I have spent on my bikes, you can defiinately feel the difference, even if you get wheels that are not all that much less weight overall, the wieght distribution of aftermarket wheels, has much less gyroscopic forces than OEM wheels.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Best money I have spent on my bikes, you can defiinately feel the difference, even if you get wheels that are not all that much less weight overall, the wieght distribution of aftermarket wheels, has much less gyroscopic forces than OEM wheels.
I WOULD AGREE GOT A SET OF Carrozzeria for 1425.00 from hyperbike performance ctr. in MD the guy with the zx-14 213.00mph at the texas mile great guy ,great price and great service will ship to ur door

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts

Both of us have done this. I'm on my 3rd set of Carrozzeria's and they make a huge difference. Un-sprung weight! You cannot go wrong with aftermarket wheels. It will change the bike's handling significantly and of course they look fuggin schweet!:helmet:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I just weighed the differences between the '08 stock wheels and my CZ's for purely zx-10.net scientific purposes of course:

The front CZ with Braking Wave Rotors vs stock with OEM rotors = ~1 lbs savings

The rear CZ with Braking Wave Rotor and Renthal 520 sprocket vs stock with OEM sprocket = ~5 lbs

6lbs static weight savings is already pretty good, but losing that off rotational mass will have a profound effect on the way the bike handles. I should add that when I weighed the wheels on my previous '04 ZX10R vs the CZ's w/stock rotors and sprocket it was about 4lbs savings on the rear wheel. Presumably the Renthal 520 and Braking wave rotor shaved off 1 lbs.

I know CZ may have had some teething problems over the years, but I have to say, I am very pleased with the product and their level of service. I purchased the bearings and distance tube to convert my front wheel to the 25mm axle size of the newer ZX-10R's. When the parts came, they wouldn't fit as the wheel had one size machined bigger for a larger bearing. When I called them they sent me a shipping label at their expense and I returned the wheel. When it arrived at their facility, they machined a spacer, put the new bearing kit in and shipped it out all in the same day! I was extremely impressed, and will not hesitate to buy another set of CZ's.

Along with a full exhaust, the wheels, and a few other things, my Gen 3 is about the same weight as a STOCK Gen 1. Yeesh!

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
If you have the cash do it. If not use it for suspension if you do not have it already. Suspension is so underrated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts