Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys!..I am building a 03 9R ,strictly for street/strip duty!.......and I am wondering if the 10R wheel will fit on the 9?..........or do any other Kawi models come with a wheel that will fit the 9.......say like a 6R

I am looking to replace the 3 spoke old style wheel with the new style, like the kind that comes on the 10R................the 6 spoke!
Just have never like the thick,3 spoke wheel that is on the 9R:dontknow:

anyone know what will fit?..................if any?.......if not......I guess I will either paint and polish the ones I have or go custom..!..:dontknow:
Thanks guys with any light you can shed on this!............

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks bro!!..........I'll check it out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, the zx10r wheels can be used on the zx9r but it is not easy. On my zx9r I used a 04/05 zx10r rear wheel on a 2002 zx9r swingarm. In the rear the zx10r axle is slightly shorter than the zx9r axle so the aluminum blocks need to be made thinner and the nut grinded down slightly. spacers are needed to properly align the wheel. I think the brake caliper needed a slight movement to one side. The chain will not be lined up perfect but it is good enough. In the front I just used zx10r forks so I can not give much info on getting a front zx10r wheel on zx9r forks except that the 98-99 zx9r brake rotors are about the same diameter as the zx10r brake rotors. The later zx9r rotors are bigger from what I remember. If you need dimensions I could get some calipers out as I have 04/05 and 06/07 zx10r wheels and every year zx9r wheels. I will say I am happy with the conversion with 15,000 trouble free miles and will be doing the same on my second zx9r when I turn it into a race bike.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the black frame on your bike is the shizzy!. I likey alot!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for the nice comments guys. I tried to get the bike to look as new as possible and all the new sportbikes tend to have black frames. I just wish is was still as shinny as in the pic. I ride it every day to work and it only gets cleaned about once a month.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do not know about the shock compatibility. If you get an answer let me know. I would assume the zx10r shock would be better with new technology and all, but the suspension geometry would be different with different rates of travel and loads. I already have an ohlins on my newer zx9r but I have considered upgrading my older zx9r's rear shock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do not know about the shock compatibility. If you get an answer let me know. I would assume the zx10r shock would be better with new technology and all, but the suspension geometry would be different with different rates of travel and loads. I already have an ohlins on my newer zx9r but I have considered upgrading my older zx9r's rear shock.
On the Uk 9r site they chat alot about using a shock from the zx12. A little stiffer more adjustability.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, the zx10r wheels can be used on the zx9r but it is not easy. On my zx9r I used a 04/05 zx10r rear wheel on a 2002 zx9r swingarm. In the rear the zx10r axle is slightly shorter than the zx9r axle so the aluminum blocks need to be made thinner and the nut grinded down slightly. spacers are needed to properly align the wheel. I think the brake caliper needed a slight movement to one side. The chain will not be lined up perfect but it is good enough. In the front I just used zx10r forks so I can not give much info on getting a front zx10r wheel on zx9r forks except that the 98-99 zx9r brake rotors are about the same diameter as the zx10r brake rotors. The later zx9r rotors are bigger from what I remember. If you need dimensions I could get some calipers out as I have 04/05 and 06/07 zx10r wheels and every year zx9r wheels. I will say I am happy with the conversion with 15,000 trouble free miles and will be doing the same on my second zx9r when I turn it into a race bike.

Hey look its a Tine R

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I’ve got a 01 zx9 with a 05 zx10r motor on it... I also have a 06 zx10 well I wanted to put the 06 rims on n I accomplished the front... well put the back on and 5 mi later the bearing blew out bout causing me to wreck... if anybody can plz help me I’d appreciate it

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts