Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant back the thing into corners, slide the rear at will and wear pucks out on the steet.

But i just cant wheelie.............

Help me out !!!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
just start with the basic power wheelie intill you get use to the front end comming up if you go wide open in first it will come up without doing anything on sheer power alone first and second. after that you can try giving it a lil chop in first or second making it come up faster. then move on to clutching, standups, and so on.

·
Registered
152 Posts
with my bike (ninja 650r) i have to be going about 35mph then i drop it into first with the clutch in. i let the clutch out, open the throttle, close it, then open it again fast. I am just starting so I'm not doing anything big yet and feel more comfortable trying at slower speeds. One thing that i noticed helped a lot was not pushing down on the pars. i know, duh, but really it's hard to get my body to pull back and lean back when it knows that it isnt safe. im finding out that i am my biggest stumbling block on the road to doing wheelies.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys,

I can get it up on throttle, but just cant carry it, ive seen so many people say clutch it up in second, others say use the power.
Is my best option to run up in second gear to about 6000 snap the throttle closed an the snap it open... ?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Until you get comfortble doing wheelies start with this.

Start in first gear and get the bike moving a little than just punch it and it will finally start to come off the ground...Just stay smooth on the gas till you hit the rev limiter and it will come back down...After you are use to the tire being off the ground go to second gear...Personally its easier to clutch it up becuase you have more contol of how the tire is lifting...IMPORTANT, make sure you have smooth throttle control otherwise you will be on your back looking at the bike getting ready to slam you into the ground...I always cover the rear brake with my foot and i have my hand near the clutch incase it comes back to far...Just be safe and the most imporant advice you can get and hear is PATIENCE...I have put time and patience in doing wheelies and I am still not that good at them...Just be safe and have fun

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
This works for me...
1st gear run it to 7grand then snap it open (you do not need to close it first). No need to bounce or pull up. I do this sitting down with both of my feet on the forward pegs. You will find that she'll come right up a couple of feet. Some have said you can loop it in first but I have not found that to be true for me. I'm 185 pounds and sit forward on the bike. It's about the same in 2nd gear but you'll be doing about 70MPH.... Start slow you'll get a feel for the bike. Crawl, walk then run.....

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just be careful. Ihave been doing baby, wussy 1st gear power on wheelies. The front comes up about a foot or so. This is good enough for me. It's funny, but I can do 180 + mph, go into hard turns over 100 mph, but wheelies make me nervous. Also, if you keep her wide open all the way through 5th you are already wheelying. O.K. maybe only a few inches, but it is still a wheelie..Good luck :cool

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Speedyj said:
Thanks Guys,

I can get it up on throttle, but just cant carry it, ive seen so many people say clutch it up in second, others say use the power.
Is my best option to run up in second gear to about 6000 snap the throttle closed an the snap it open... ?
well it depends on how fast you going and at what rpm your running, if your going like slow like 10-20 mph and you want to keep that same speed without excelerating rapidly you are gonna want to clutch it up because its just a short burst strait to balance point or to desired position. vs if you power your gonna gain alot of speed. after practicing it anymore i rarely clutch it up if you stand up in 3rd gear around id say 60-80 give the throttle a chop and pull up on the bars you can bring it to balance pointe.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
AK10R said:
This works for me...
1st gear run it to 7grand then snap it open (you do not need to close it first). No need to bounce or pull up. I do this sitting down with both of my feet on the forward pegs. You will find that she'll come right up a couple of feet. Some have said you can loop it in first but I have not found that to be true for me. I'm 185 pounds and sit forward on the bike. It's about the same in 2nd gear but you'll be doing about 70MPH.... Start slow you'll get a feel for the bike. Crawl, walk then run.....
ya it porbably wont loop in 1st if you dont chop it and you ride the tank. once i got off the tank and started sitting mid seat took me a while to get use to this but everything became alot easier. turning wheelies so on and so on. but if your running 6k and close it and go wide open again real fast i bet she would flip, dont try it but i bet because i can bring it to balance point in first, second, and third like that with choping the throttle.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
i dont know about you guys but doing wheelies scares the shit out of me. i just dont feel like looping my bike to show boat. me personally i think stopies are easier and more fun. i tend to do neither.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
shenanigans said:
i dont know about you guys but doing wheelies scares the shit out of me. i just dont feel like looping my bike to show boat. me personally i think stopies are easier and more fun. i tend to do neither.
For me it's the opposite. Stoppies have higher risk of crashing imo.

·
.net Most Followed Member
8,795 Posts
Rruhtroh said:
with my bike (ninja 650r) i have to be going about 35mph then i drop it into first with the clutch in. i let the clutch out, open the throttle, close it, then open it again fast. I am just starting so I'm not doing anything big yet and feel more comfortable trying at slower speeds. One thing that i noticed helped a lot was not pushing down on the pars. i know, duh, but really it's hard to get my body to pull back and lean back when it knows that it isnt safe. im finding out that i am my biggest stumbling block on the road to doing wheelies.
hey Whitney heres some help for ya and anybody thats interested.....
its easy simple to start with!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91Bjqnsl-k

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Always did power wheelies and learnt how to ride them out, recently started clutching them up which for me they don't come up as aggresive and I can bring them up at higher speeds, but either way I'm lovin it......................:badteeth:

·
Registered
828 Posts
my 2 cents, just cause i'm still learning: i use 2nd gear, get going about 60mph, stand up, load the front tire and chop the throttle, the front end comes up pretty quick but controllable, then it's all throttle control, i am just now getting comfortable with the balance point which is damn near vertical, but if you are standing up and sqeaze the tank with you legs you can hold the throttle at a constant point and ride for miles.

i also do sit down ones in 3rd, going about 45 rev to about 7k and dump the clutch, bike comes up smoother than in 2nd and you have alot more gear to ride with.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I adjusted my clutch so that the static zone is WAY out towards the end of the lever travel. That seems to help a lot with clutching up second gear. Maybe there is a problem with my technique.
Half the time it only lifts about 6-12 inches off the ground, about 40% of the time I blow the back tire loose, so I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong either.

If I had to guess I would say I am timid about screwing around in the power band of a 160hp bike..... because I never had this problem on my Speed Triple.

Still practicing.

I think that not every method works for everybody.

·
Registered
74 Posts
shenanigans said:
stoppies kick ass but i suck at them, but im gettin better little by little, but wheelies i can go for a mile:eek:ccasion1

1 - 20 of 43 Posts