Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everywhere i read about the 10r ppl say they can power wheelie all the way up to 3rd gear, stock. it just doesn't seem to happen for me. what am i doin wrong?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Im a 220lb guy and I havent tried in third but I can power her up in 1st & 2nd just by scootin my ass back on the seat, finding the right RPM, and busting it open.

Just make sure youre giving it the power it needs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm...im at 190 lbs guy and cant seem to get it off the ground in second. i'll try higher rpm and sitting farther back i guess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where do you live? Im in Wyoming and in stock form my bike wouldnt power wheelie in any gear, the reason is the altitude, you loose a lot of power the higher you live, Im around 6500 feet.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
hmm, I am in Reno so altitude may be a consideration. I needed to set up my suspension in order to keep the ride stable. 176lbs in gear.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
to power it up in second you gotta be making pretty good hp so your going to be going like 75mph and up thats how fast im going when i do it. just sit back on the seat open and close open your right up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can power wheelie my buddies 04 when its at stock height in 3rd or 4th at about 110 with no trouble. Its lot easier though if you "bump" the clutch. :eek:ccasion1
Oh yea, and I'm about 175-180lbs. in boxers.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
You gotta load your suspenion with shutting down the throttle for that split second before you power it back up. I have a 04 and I can power it up all the way through 3rd. Mess with your rpms a bit to find the torque you need but its there. I can get a bit of a hop in 4th but not enough to come more than maybe 1ft off the ground. Good luck, and expect to go through chains and rear tires at a rapid rate if you plan on powering them up.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
:+1:
i always clutch power is to slow. but then again i think my wheeling days are over just meeses your bike up in every way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm a big mac shy of 270 and I got mine up the other day without even slidin back on the seat. Just gave it an ass load of throttle and she came up nice and slick like.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
i think my wheeling days are over just meeses your bike up in every way.

Only if you do them at 3am on an unfamiliar curvy road........:mrgreen:

There is technique involved.... I think the higher of a gear you use the better your technique has to be. First gear on-off-on is easy..... but I rarely mess with that anymore since I learned how to bounce up second gear standups. :zx_orange

·
Registered
5 Posts
I doubt you're doing anything wrong. Despite all the hype there's no way this bike, in stock form, will just power up in 3rd gear from rolling on the throttle or from chopping it. I think there's a lot of vivid imaginations out there... or people who make a habit of sitting on the pillion seat.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have just fitted a GI Pro with the timing retard eliminator. My bike now powerstands much earlier in the rev range, which is really good as it gives you more time in gear to get it up there. Also a lot smoother coming up

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I doubt you're doing anything wrong. Despite all the hype there's no way this bike, in stock form, will just power up in 3rd gear from rolling on the throttle or from chopping it. I think there's a lot of vivid imaginations out there... or people who make a habit of sitting on the pillion seat.
:+1:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

I agree. 1st & second easily. Sometimes gets a bit light in the front after hitting first, but thats just because you are off then on in power

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ive had popcorn shifting from 3rd to 4th hard on the gas. I bet you could power up 3rd but you would need to be going between 120 and 130 my guess

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
it definetly wont wheelie from just rolling on the throttle when i do them im standing and bounch as i chop the throttle its all technique.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts