Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so I understand aligning the rear wheel sprocket to the drive sprocket and chain with an alignment tool.

My question is do I also have to align the rear wheel to the front wheel?

Upon further thought it occured to me that since the front wheel turns it would probably be difficult to align to the front wheel and that everything should be straight and lined up if my rear wheel, chain and sprockets are lined up hey?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Personally I always align the rear wheel to the front with a straight edge, if you don't have something suitable you can use the string method.

I would rather have my wheels inline that the chain and sprockets.

In an ideal world that might be the case, but it is near enough impossible to get the steering head 100% 90 degrees to the swingarm pivot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I always align the rear wheel to the front with a straight edge, if you don't have something suitable you can use the string method.

I would rather have my wheels inline that the chain and sprockets.

In an ideal world that might be the case, but it is near enough impossible to get the steering head 100% 90 degrees to the swingarm pivot.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what you're saying but I'm at a bit of a loss... All the research I've done says that a misaligned chain and sprocket can be really dangerous.

What are you saying about the steering head being 90 degrees to the swingarm head?

·
Registered
916 Posts
For a general adjustment use the notches on the swingarm and then finetune it with your chain tool so that the chain rolls nice and easy over the sprocket and doesn't grind on either side. You can pretty much see from the back when you look over the chain and spin the wheel if it is aligned ok or not.
I have always used the notches on the swingarm and then looked over the chain from the back and never had a problem in 30+ years of riding.
But you have to trust your own judgement what is right for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts