Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What im asking is when does a wheel need straightening?
You may say when its not straight but i can guarentee you most second hand wheels have a measurable degree of run out.
Ive never hit anything such as a hole on my bike but its got a slight wobble on it.
Since ive made an acurate wheel ballencer ive had 7 rims on it and you can notice slight run out on every rim.
You cant notice it when spinning on the bike and i cant feel anything with mine but somewhere there must be a point where the run out is too far and the wheel should be trued?
Ive seen a rim for sale thats says straight but some peoples ideas about straight vary from others

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think anyone understands what im saying.
I cannot feel the one on my bike.
Let me put this a different way.
I spoke to wheel straightening company today who straighten their rims to a tollerence of 5 thou.
But you can buy new rims that are over 5 thou out so not actually needed tollerance other than a buyer paying for a rim to be straightens expects a straight rim so they have to do it as customers will be looking for it.
The uk legal limit for a mot is 3mm run out but obviously this is not reccommended for sports bikes.
I have some rims that are between 5 thou and 3mm but what tollerance should i be looking for on a 1000cc bike?
Ive never hit a pot hole but the uk roads are rough and the company i spoke to said the 3 spoke zx10 rim is their most common rim.
They are very soft

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a snippet from the GEN4 manual on rim runout tolerances:

Thats exactly what i was after. I couldnt find that info.
Thankyou.
If your leant over and hit a bump in the road then it can cause runout.
These wheels are not that strong like i said so although i havnt hit a hole there may have been a bump that i run over and cant remember about.
I cannot feel it but its there. Now we know the tollerences i can check that its within spec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.