Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has experience they can offer on wheel rim wobbles.
what amount becomes noticable?

·
The Pace
7,163 Posts
Did you hit whatever; or are you saying that a new tire bead won't hold pressure? If no answer to the above, then what is happening to produce the question that you wrote. Another way, what EXACTLY is bothering you to produce the thought that then created your thread question. :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Exactly what scout said for once..

Why are you asking? If you best the wheel, you either need to fix or replace it... there really isn't a "spec"...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What im asking is when does a wheel need straightening?
You may say when its not straight but i can guarentee you most second hand wheels have a measurable degree of run out.
Ive never hit anything such as a hole on my bike but its got a slight wobble on it.
Since ive made an acurate wheel ballencer ive had 7 rims on it and you can notice slight run out on every rim.
You cant notice it when spinning on the bike and i cant feel anything with mine but somewhere there must be a point where the run out is too far and the wheel should be trued?
Ive seen a rim for sale thats says straight but some peoples ideas about straight vary from others

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
A rim wouldn't need straightening unless it is bent. It wouldn't become bent without hitting something. Just curious. When exactly does this wobble occur? Is it 100% of the time regardless of whether you are braking, accelerating, or just cruising at any speed? Is it only at a certain speed? Is it only during braking? You can put the bike on a stand and spin the wheels. You should be able to see any bend that would result in a noticeable wobble if it was a result of a bent rim. If it is only on braking it would be the rotors. If it happens around 45mph with your hands off the bars it's most likely the tires.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think anyone understands what im saying.
I cannot feel the one on my bike.
Let me put this a different way.
I spoke to wheel straightening company today who straighten their rims to a tollerence of 5 thou.
But you can buy new rims that are over 5 thou out so not actually needed tollerance other than a buyer paying for a rim to be straightens expects a straight rim so they have to do it as customers will be looking for it.
The uk legal limit for a mot is 3mm run out but obviously this is not reccommended for sports bikes.
I have some rims that are between 5 thou and 3mm but what tollerance should i be looking for on a 1000cc bike?
Ive never hit a pot hole but the uk roads are rough and the company i spoke to said the 3 spoke zx10 rim is their most common rim.
They are very soft

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't know about this, seems like you're looking for something that might not be there. I've never heard of a motorcycle rim needing to be "trued" I thought that was only for spoke style wheels like on dirtbikes and mountain bikes.

If I am understanding correctly you're saying:
The rim doesn't exhibit any kind of wobble on the bike BUT on your balancing machine that you made you can see the rim has a slight wobble, that's what I'm interpreting.

I don't know crap about this but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask, what makes you think your balancer thingy is "very accurate"? not trying to be a dick at all, I'm just trying to help others who read this thread understand better so they can give you better advice.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
You can buy a runout gauge for cheap and check them yourself. I have one. But, it sounds like someone is just trying to get some money out of you. All of my rims on my ZX6Rs and ZX10Rs have been nearly perfect, WELL within the tolerances in the manual. Normal riding without hitting anything major (4x4, etc) should not be a problem at all.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a snippet from the GEN4 manual on rim runout tolerances:

Thats exactly what i was after. I couldnt find that info.
Thankyou.
If your leant over and hit a bump in the road then it can cause runout.
These wheels are not that strong like i said so although i havnt hit a hole there may have been a bump that i run over and cant remember about.
I cannot feel it but its there. Now we know the tollerences i can check that its within spec.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts