Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I searched, and yes there is a small bit of information out there, but I couldn't find it tonight :dontknow:

Anyways, what other Kawasaki wheels will mount up to the Gen4?

We know that they will need the speed sensor plates, and larger front rotors if you are running the stock Tokico calipers.

I have a set of Gen1 wheels, I was hoping the rear would work.
I also have a front from an 05 ZX-6R which seems like it would work as the axle seems identical (has not been confirmed) There was also some talk about other Gen wheels working when you change the bearings or use axle from that Gen. I remember reading about a Gen3 wheel working after you get it machined but......aintnobodygottimeforthat

Please post your findings.

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
I have a set of gen 1 wheels to fit to my gen 4. For the rear the axle is a smaller dia. You can't just change out the bearings to gen 4 cause they have a bigger od. So.... I bought a gen 1 axle and spacers to use, and then a spacer will need to make the caliper bracket work. Or I bought a gen 1 caliper bracket to see if that is easier when swapping wheels. For the front I'm getting 320 mm rotors, and the tone ring and hopefully that's it. Others have said that gen 2 or 3 fronts are direct swap except for the tone ring. I would guess the zx6 front would work, but you gotta try it and enlighten us.

Sent from my HTC vivid

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a set of gen 1 wheels to fit to my gen 4. For the rear the axle is a smaller dia. You can't just change out the bearings to gen 4 cause they have a bigger od. So.... I bought a gen 1 axle and spacers to use, and then a spacer will need to make the caliper bracket work. Or I bought a gen 1 caliper bracket to see if that is easier when swapping wheels. For the front I'm getting 320 mm rotors, and the tone ring and hopefully that's it. Others have said that gen 2 or 3 fronts are direct swap except for the tone ring. I would guess the zx6 front would work, but you gotta try it and enlighten us.

Sent from my HTC vivid
That is good information :eek:ccasion1 I'm sure I could easily pick up those few bits for the Gen1.
Unbolting the caliper bracket doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

If no one else confirms within the next few days, I will try and test the ZX-6R wheel.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What Gen axle are you going to use for the front? Gen1 spacers? Or are spacers same as Gen4?

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The zx6 wheels feel noticeably heavier than the gen IV wheels...get a set of carrozzerias or marchesinis...you rather upgrade to lighter rotating mass then go backwards trust me
I've read that the new 3 spoke are lighter, but I just want to get back to the track next season so I'd like to try and use my Gen1 wheels if they will work.

Hmm, might have to do some weight comparison tests.

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
What Gen axle are you going to use for the front? Gen1 spacers? Or are spacers same as Gen4?
For now my plan is to use the gen 4 axle and spacers. Until I find out that something doesn't fit...

These are the other threads I had subscribed to with wheel swap info: http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=113834

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=117557

My plan is to run the Gen 1 wheels on the street, and the Gen 4 wheels on the track. I'll end up with $650 into the gen 1 wheels to get them on the bike, can't really touch that with aftermarket wheels.

Just weighed the Gen 1 wheels, front has 300mm rotors installed; rear with rotor and cush drive installed, no outer spacers on either wheel = 15 lbs front, 18.5 lbs rear
someone has weighed gen 4 wheels on here, just couldn't find it quick

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
:rolleyes: so... more info

Gen 1 axle is 20mm and the Gen 4 is bigger like ~25-26mm

Then searching ebay i found the Gen 3 axle is the same style as the Gen 4, while the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are the same. :lame:

So, now I'm thinking to sell my Gen 1 wheel set and buy a Gen 3 set.

Shoulda done my research first:headshake

:sad:

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that's a bummer for ya.

So the Gen1 front is out of the picture completely?

Sent via iPhone

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
Well that's a bummer for ya.

So the Gen1 front is out of the picture completely?

Sent via iPhone
If it was my only option I could make it work by making some spacers or machining the wheel to get Gen4 spacers and bearings to work.

I'm thinking the easiest solution at this point may be to just buy a gen 3 front

Ugghh, other's on here say swapping the bearings will allow any gen front to work. Headed to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully they have bearings in stock for both gens and I can line them up to see if the od's are the same

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The gen 2-4 front wheels are interchangeable as a direct bolt on. The Gen 1-3 rear wheels interchange with each other as a direct bolt on, but not with the gen 4. ZX6 front wheels are identical to zx10 fronts from gen 2-3.

All of them to my knowledge can be made to work with the proper bearings.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The gen 2 - 3 front wheels are the same. I have an 07 front wheel on a set of 2010 forks. All I had to do was replace the 07 bearings, spacers, and axle with the 2010 parts. The bare wheels are the same dimensions.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The gen 2-4 front wheels are interchangeable as a direct bolt on. The Gen 1-3 rear wheels interchange with each other as a direct bolt on, but not with the gen 4. ZX6 front wheels are identical to zx10 fronts from gen 2-3.

All of them to my knowledge can be made to work with the proper bearings.
:iamwithst i think it was Garth that made the easiest swap for the rear wheel and just used the G3 axel and made a spacer for the brake bracket.

I did a bearing swap, inner wheel spacer swap and made a spacer for the rear brake bracket so i could use the axel from the G4.

The front is a direct bolt on, the only thing you have to consider are the front brake discs if it's a pré G3 wheel cuz they are smaler :wink:

And don't forget the ABS/TC rings they are your speed sensors if you decide you don't need the TC or you haven't got the ABS version :wink:

The 2 wheel topics are in a previous post :wink:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ok so for the weight of the G3 vs the G4 wheels, i had my rear wheel out and wheigt both wheels just the same only the wheels no sproket no sprocket holder and the green bumps out. Just different tires on the G3 wheel is a lighter tire the pirelli SBK slick and on the G4 is the OEM bridgestone so the weight is the same 12,2kg on both wheels.
Didn't had the front out though so that's for next time ;)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.