Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a pair of Mich PR2s and the bike shop mounted and balanced the tires. When I got home I was checking the tire pressure when I noticed that the bike shop used duct tape to secure the weights on the front and rear wheels..... wth??? Is that normal?? are there any other methods for securing the weights??

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
no lol its not normal

sticky weights is what they should have used. take it back to them and tell them who the boss is

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,380 Posts
WOW!

That is a classic!

Take a pic or video tape it and post it on youtube with the dealers name and address.

They won't do that every again!

Duct taping that is pretty much as safe as using armor all on your tires so they look really nice lol..

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
some places put black duct tape to help keep the weights on the rim, Ive mainly seen it at the track

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I do it on my race bike so that if the adhesive lets go on the weights, my wheel won't go out of balance. It would look like crap on a street bike however.

·
Registered
370 Posts
some places put black duct tape to help keep the weights on the rim, Ive mainly seen it at the track
:+1: I always tape over my sticky weights at the track. That said I've NEVER heard of a shop doing it for the street.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Yeah, I think its pretty common to reinforce the weights with tape, not duct tape...shouldnt just be weights without the adhesive though.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
From the experience of mounting and balancing my own wheels, I tell you if you clean the wheel properly prior to sticking the weights on, there is no way they are coming off unless you pry them off, the duct tape is probably overkill, IMHO even on a track bike.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I seen it. Not from a Motorcycle shop though.

Some kid probably did clean the rim, and couldn't get the weights to stick.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
The trackside tire service secured the (used aka non functional adhesive) wheel weights with duct tape.
That chit stayed on for months and I did some hard riding on it. Seemed to work for me :dontknow:
I seen it on racebikes @ the track so obviously it works. . .:helmet:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've often thought about reducing the weight of my bike by removing those HEAVY windsheild bolts and securing the shield with duct tape. :crackup::crackup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
we use duct tape over the wheel weights as a precaution on the inside of the wheel on our drag slicks on drag cars and you really can't see it.unless your bike is only used for racing its overkill and it don't look so nice.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Some tracks make you do that. Yes a weight can be thrown off. Once you get the rear spinning at 180 over say 10 laps. Yes, a weight can come off.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Did the shop mechanic look like this

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
we use duct tape over the wheel weights as a precaution on the inside of the wheel on our drag slicks on drag cars and you really can't see it.unless your bike is only used for racing its overkill and it don't look so nice.
I always put a piece of black duct tape over my weights. I actually think it looks okay, it's not as noticable as the wheel weights. 100+mph is the same on the street or track in my mind. Not condoning excessive speeding on the street, I'm sure I'm the only one on this site who's been guilty of that.:lol:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
From the experience of mounting and balancing my own wheels, I tell you if you clean the wheel properly prior to sticking the weights on, there is no way they are coming off unless you pry them off, the duct tape is probably overkill, IMHO even on a track bike.

You probably have never had a caliper mounting bolt or a rad cap come off either, but those are safety wired on race bikes. Just in case. It is just a precaution more than anything.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
On regular customer bikes adhesive wheel weights are the norm.

On track bikes we use the adhesive wheel weights and then black gorilla tape. Why? Tire warmers melt the weight adhesive thus the gorilla tape is to keep them on in track day/race situations.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts