Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what Stations you prefer to get you fuel from? Ive kind of been in the mind set that Shell is top end because its generally a little more $ spendy so I tend to stop there for the 10r but I know thats probably not fact. Curious if anyones seen any tests done, on fuels, maybe even on dyno, same bike, different 92 octane fuels... Chevron, Shell, 76 etc... how much if any difference is there with the different 92 octanes ? Whats your preferred Gas station men ?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I'm not much help being a Aussie but I don't buy service station pump fuel!what comes out that nozzle at the ss isn't allways what you think your buying!but I only ride on a sunny Sunday so buying a 20 litre can from a race fuel supplier,The octane and oxygen levels are guaranteed,and the fuel is fresh!if I was buying from a servo I would make sure the fuel would have a high turner over and be a reputable dealership.

·
Registered
578 Posts
ride from home, fill at home mostly. 90 octane, non ethanol rec gas. found here...
pure-gas.org

when on road, name brand 91, try to seek out non eth. Ski

Reactions: mwasse

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Shell 91 for everything other then my cars/truck. Lawnmower/generator/dirt bike/race bike all get it. No ethanol is my reasoning and I'm yet to add stabilizer in the mower over the winter because it starts first pull every spring.

If you're burning it regularly any name brand fuel works fine but if the bike sits for any period I would seek ethanol free fuel.

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Mobil 89 is what I like. Ethanol free if I can find it.

Gas is gas. Other than ethanol free stuff, the difference is in the additives and extra bullshit they put in the gas that distinguish it between brands.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's a station a few miles from work that sells non-ethanol 93. I keep three five gallon cans full at all times in the garage. This is kind of a must with Italian bikes, as the tanks tend to warp with ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Basically, gas is gas. I've had less trouble from my local Shell station than most of the others so I try to buy gas there whenever practical.

My local source for ethanol-free dried up so I've been buying 100 octane low lead from my local airport for my chainsaws, trimmer and dirt bikes. Its the most stable and consistent gas that I've found for anything that sits a lot doesn't get used very often. The gas that's in my XR50 is at least three years old and it fired right up a couple months ago when I tried it.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,382 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here is a link for top tier gas retailers.
Retailers
I stick to these outlets only and I only buy 93 unless there are absolutely zero other options.

The fuel detergents serve a purpose, and an important one on modern fuel injected engines.

High octane is recommended by Kawasaki.

With as little as fuel costs to put in our bikes its senseless to pinch pennies.

·
The Pace
7,294 Posts
CA g4 10r's are tagged for 91. On the top of the tank both my bikes have the 91 tag. Which has to come from major retailers as small refiner 91 rating is not the same here. Found that out trying to run 91 on fords buying from Valero gas. Ran ok but was lucky to start them cold.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
91 octane, Shell, Mobil, Chevron or 76. Theyre the top pump stations really, so Im not picky. Usually I just pick whichever of those is the cheapest near me when I need it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Curious query: Do you chaps in the States have a minimum Octane rating stipulated for your bikes?
for example, here in India, Kawa mandates that you fill atleast a 95 RON fuel at any point of time in the bike. Shell here sells a 93 octane option but i prefer the 97 octane which makes her sing and dance all happy.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Curious query: Do you chaps in the States have a minimum Octane rating stipulated for your bikes?
for example, here in India, Kawa mandates that you fill atleast a 95 RON fuel at any point of time in the bike. Shell here sells a 93 octane option but i prefer the 97 octane which makes her sing and dance all happy.
The highest here is 93 octane. However, a lot of states like California only have 91 octane. You can buy race gas here from VP and others that are closer to 100 octane, unleaded.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I buy gas at whatever place is close when I need it. On Sundays I usually ride out in the middle of nowhere so it's hard to be picky, especially when your needing 3 and 4 tanks. I alternate between 89 Oct and 93. If it's real hot out and I'm riding it hard, I will use 93, if I'm just casually riding I'll use 89. Can't say I've ever felt a difference though.

While on the subject of gas though, my buddy had heard a rumor that even when you select whatever Octane you select, you will get up to a gallon and a half of whatever the person before you used as its still in the line. He emailed shell corporate to see if there was any truth to it and they confirmed that yes, it is very possible. Not a big deal to a car with a 15 gallon tank, however for a motorcycle with a 4.5 gallon tank, it could be more of a big deal, especially if your doing partial fill ups. You may never get any of the gas you actually bought. You can take it for what it is though as I didn't personally send the email, was just told it from a good friend and I believe what he told me.

All this said, there's lots of opinions on where to get gas, what Octane to get and why, but honestly, I just put whatever I feel like in and don't worry about it. Worked on all my bikes so far. Lol.

·
The Pace
7,294 Posts
For California the highest octane that I can find without wasting time looking is 91 as all stations have that number; (possible some fuel stations offer higher but the bike runs fine with 91) each state has different ratings but I think additives are available in CA to increase octane. 91 is np for the 10'rs here as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The highest here is 93 octane. However, a lot of states like California only have 91 octane. You can buy race gas here from VP and others that are closer to 100 octane, unleaded.
For California the highest octane that I can find without wasting time looking is 91 as all stations have that number; (possible some fuel stations offer higher but the bike runs fine with 91) each state has different ratings but I think additives are available in CA to increase octane. 91 is np for the 10'rs here as far as I can tell.
But does Kawa advise a minimum octane rating to be filled into the bikes?
Here in India the bikes carry a sticker on the tank which says to fill minimum 95 octaneto avoid warranty issues

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
But does Kawa advise a minimum octane rating to be filled into the bikes?
Here in India the bikes carry a sticker on the tank which says to fill minimum 95 octaneto avoid warranty issues
Yes, it's 91 octane in the States. The US uses the (R+M)/2 rating method which is different than other countries. So it's not always a direct comparison and why there's differences in the manuals.

I've run 87 octane in my bike before with no issues. The recommendation on minimum octane is more about accounting for all potential issues that may arise from it's use. Depending on the level of refinement of the fuel, it's just much easier to print and tell everyone to use the highest level rather than putting in caveats everywhere. 91 octane will work for everyone and not cause issues. That's not to say you can't run the lower stuff. You should be running the lowest octane you can find without inducing pinging or knocking in the motor.

Reactions: or10r
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.