Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have seen the Kawasakis ground up redesign of the ZX10R and know the riders which will be trying to grab the brass ring of the 2011 WSB title. Whats your prediction on how wel they and there competitors will do?
I am VERY excited with the news that the 2011 ZX10R redesigned chassis turned the ZX10R from a poor handling nightmare to great handling dream.
Has Biaggis alarm clock rang?can he still keep up speed for full race distance?ag catch up to you in an instant we wont know till race day .I cant remember a season that was SO up in the air .The reason Biaggi won the 2011 was due to a dominant machine . Yes he is a legindary rider and deserves respect ,but you can see time has taken its toll. Yamaha situation is just the opposite, Ben Spies made the R1 lookk beter than it was
making 2010 a chassis repair year for Yamaha. Topping off there woes Crutchlow is off to motoGP for 2011.
Honda is the most established team but the CBR1000 is LONG in tooth Jonathen Rea is an under rated rider IMHO that can push a weaker machine PAST its limits therfore watch for the Honda/Rea combo to be a wildcard.
what can you say about Suzuki except they seem to have lost hope and are just going through the motions just for the sake of brand recognition. Small team little funding , no R&D. unless they pick up thhe next Roberts, Spencer or Rossi they will finish with the privateers.

BMW many seem to think with its new powerhouse machine coupled with the signing of the ery fst and gifted rider Haslam, BMW winning the 2011 WSB title is a forgone conclution .
DONT BET THE RANCH!!! Back stage BMW is in turmoil. they are haing serious team prolems with the firing of the much reveared Manager David Tardoozi . He is known for taking new or fail teams and turning them into Championsip winning teams when it was thought it was a hopeless endevour .
So BMW is also starting with a clean slate with the team learning as they go and at the same time needing to fix the inherant gremlin of the S1000.BMW promised that the S1000 woud not only out engineer the japanese by creating the fastest production superbike but also take the WSB title by storm as racing is the ultimate R&D test bed .
BMW kept ist word with creating the worlds fastest production literbike/superbike . The stock S1000 is one for the history books being much more powerful that its competitors , comprable handling and upping the anti not only in brute force but traction control technology making it the world beain superbike that te average Joe rider can utillize .
Whats the Problem then you ask?
BMWs quest for the fastest literbike was achieved through taking RPM levels to new highs , the 193 hp(crank) engine has a peaky powerband, not aking substancial HP until a lofty 9000RPM!! MAX torque is the same comming in at around 10,000. Comming off corners the BMW is giving up 2-3 bike lenths to its competitors until the engine spools up to use its power advantage . THIS is the BMWs race gremlin which thier engineers have been trying to work out . They widen the powerband only to have peak HP drop off.
With the the cylinder comfiguration being SO oversquare do the laws of physics make generating low RPM/torque impossible? I DONT KNOW. the other alteritive would be to go a MOTOGP tpe set up and try to get the engine to spool/rev SO fast the engine is at 9000+ almost intantly like the brutal 500cc 2 strokes of the 80s/90s .
DONT GET ME WRONG BMW is a well funded determined company/team . they are a force to be recond with but my point is they also have work to do . The 2011 WSB isnt in the bag for BMW.

Kawasaki , Many people have been a bit disapointed because of the much anticipted 2011 ZX10R fell a bit short in its bid to claim the HP title .
Just remember stock HP and race HP are apples and oranges . The stock machine has to be EPA Friendly which is a MAJOR problem . The amount of HP a race engine produces is dictated by its Design ( and rules of sanctioning body , but all teams have to comply the same ) and thZX10R is a very well designed engine . Getting HP Certainly wont be a problem , getting hp at a lower RPM for lanching of corners and short straits might be a problem . The 2011 ZX10R also used high RPM to attain High HP figures but ince the Bore and stroke ratio isnt as radically oversuare as the BMW s1000 they should have an easier time making low end power without suffering big losses in peak HP.

THE GOOD NEWS MOST PEOPLE ARE OVERLOOKING WHICH IS THE 2011 zx10r
IS SUPPOSED TO BE AND EXCELLET HANDLING MACHINE !!! For years riders have stated the ZX10R ha strong power but lousey handling . So we should have a repeat of riders having to over ride a twisting sliding machine and we as fans watching the race knowing its only a matter of time before the sliding/twisting machine goes down.

MY PREDICTION FOR THE 2011 WSB SEASON:
2011 ON PAPER IS A EAR WHERE YOU HAVE 4 OUT OF 5 TEAMS RUNNING DEAD EVEN MACHINE WISE AS YAMAHA,BMW,KAWASAKI,APRILLA ALLHAVE THIER FAIR SHARE OF STRENTHS AND WEAKNESSES. iM AFRAID FATHER TIME HAS CAUGHT UP TO MAX BIAGGI , BMW HAS A COMPLETLY NEW TEAM TRYING TO FIX A PROBLEM THAT MIGHT BE INHERANT TO THE ENGINES DESIGN . YAMAHA= NEW TEAM AND NEW/LEARNING RIDERS WHO WHERE NEVER KNOWN TO BE ANYTHING SPECIAL AND OLDER DESIGN .
KAWASAKI NEW TEAM , BIKE, NEW EVERYTHING . BUT EXPERIANCED/TALENTED RIDERS= UNKNOWN BOTOM END POWER AVAILABLE IN 2011 ZX10.

I AM GOING OUT ON A LIMB BUT IM PREDICTING HONDA WITH CBR1000R AND JONATHAN REA AS RIDER. WHY? 1. JONATHAN REAIS FAST, CAN OVERIDE BIKE FOR ENTIRE RACE DISTANCE AND STAY UPRIGHT 2. THE TEAM IS THE SAME AS ITS BEEN FOR PAST FEW YEARS =EXPERIANCE . 3.THE CBR1000R IS AN OLD DESIGN BUT STILL HAS ENOUGH POWER TO BE COMPETITIVE 4. CHASSIS IS ALSO OUTDATED BUT IF SET UP IS CORRECT IT IS ALSO COMPETITIVE .

IM PICKING HONDA FOR ITS EXPERIANCE/STABILTY AS A TEAM/RIDER UNIT AND CONSISTANCY . hONDA HAD CON ROD PROBLEMS IN 2010 BUT A WEAK PART IS FAR EASIER FIX THAN CHANGING AN ENGINES DYNAMICS . IM COUNTING ON CON RODS BEING CHANGED AND FIXED BY 2011. tHANK yOU JAKE

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR EVERYONE ELSES PREDITIONS ALSO

·
Registered
188 Posts
Chris Vermeulen on the kawasaki..........

If the new chassis takes care of it's tyres better and the new traction control is really that good.

Anyway kawasaki needs to win or at least be at the front lots of times because sales of the new 10 depends on it.

My opinion they designed the new 10 to win wsbk with Vermeulen, I hope he is hungry enough!

·
Registered
390 Posts
The greatest improvement on the new 10 is its chassis. As already stated - Kawasaki has never had a problem making monster motors. Now that the chassis design will give the rider the combination that was previously lacking, I predict several podiums for the new ZX-10r;
However, I dont believe they will take the WSB title outright although that would be my desire.

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
Here's whats going to happen, one of those teams is going to win it. you can anaylize it for weeks but until those bikes cross the finish line its up in the air.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
as for a prediction i dont really have one yet, but i would like to see Sykes do well on the Kawi

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think Biaggi is still going to be the dark horse. Not from speed or wins, but consistancy. Yamaha lost any title hopes when Ben left. The R1 just isn't cutting it. Rae will struggle this year more than ever with haslem on the BMW the're sure to improve and should push for several podiums. Anyone who can ride the underfunded dinosaur of a bike that is the gixxer 1000 to race wins against the much newer designs has to be able to get some results even on the BMW. This brings us to Kawasaki. lets face it. For Sykes to put in the performances he did at the end of the year on a bike he was struggling to get a top ten on in the beginning of the year has to be in the title chase. For Paul Bird to do what they did with the gen 3 is amazing. Sure the bike fell off at 3/4 race distance, but until then Sykes was winning both races and put it on poll. The new bike won't hane the turning or tire wear issues which means he'll be able to run the whole race.
Then you have to look at Vermulin, He was running fourth on the bike when it sucked balls. He crashed because he pushed that bike past its limits. He was riding the crap out of a bike that was crap and doing a damn good job. If he is fit in race one he is my choice to battle with Sykes, Biaggi, and Haslem for the front runners. Lascorse I think will be learning this year and will be fighting with Rae for top five finishes, but a few seconds down from the leaders. It may be wishfull thinking for some for Kawi to show so strong next year, but I have a real working crystal ball I bought off ebay that says thats how it will be !!!! Go Team Green

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Edge Most of the WSB teams are restructuring so kawasaki isnt the on team starting off learning from a clean slate . So I agree kawasaki has a good chance of winning some races and who know? maybe a championship! The unknown is whether or not kawasaki engineers can broaden the kawasakis peaky powerband. That task has always been a race engineers nightmare. With the zx10s new chassis I wish they could slide in the OLD engine . It had good power AND a broad powerband.
Does the 1000 Ninja model use the new chassis and old engine ?

·
Registered
530 Posts
To me the 2011 feels like it has a wider and much smoother powerband. The charts may not show it but arround 6-8,000 RPM's the new bike feels gruntier to me. The chassis is DEFINATLY better. I loved the gen 3 and think its a great racebike, but the new one has its number. This thing really flicks and corners like a 600. One would assume that that would translate to a better racebike, but as we all know when you ride on or over the edge like WSBK the game changes as far as how a bike behaves. I cannot wait for some action. Either kind. :crackup:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
ps EXCUSE TYPOS = DAM WIRELESS KEYBOARD MISSES LETTERS
All good it's not an english klass:thumbsup:

Sykes and Lascorz will beat out Chris...

Sykes FTW...

I picked Biagi when you asked back in 2009 for the 2010 season.. check the record:wink:

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Im fairly new to watching sbk and actually paying attention to it but the chassis of the older 10rs isn't as bad as people say. Proving my point is last season when near the end skyes was up front alot. Considering Kawasaki was using old tech the money and r&d proved that it was a good machine. It should have been that good from 08 and gotten better from there but we'll never know. On the other hand skyes could just be an incredible rider and rode the pants off the 3rd gen.

Either way people really need to stop comparing stock road bikes to there sbk brothers. THEY ARR NOT THE SAME! I think the only things that are the same are the frame(not even sure of this), engine layout(design not internals) and the name zx-10r, etc...).

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JLG0987 im impresses, ery few people realize that dam near every part of a WSB stock/base model is scrutinized to see if it is needed. If so does it need to be stronger and can it be lightened. the wheelbase is shortened, steeper rake ect. That said...Dont be miss led thinking the older ZX0R didnt have handing problems because Vermulen and Sykes led a WSB race a few laps by riding WAY over the edge . The old ZX10R chassis had problems that could not be fixed because it was in the chassis inherant design. A good example: A HARLEY engine was NEVER designed for racing , so no matter how much time and money you spend on R&D it can NEVER match the PEAK HORSEPOWER figures of a modern japanese/european 4cyl or 2 cyl engine.

The BMW s1000 has the most radically oversquare cylinder design in a production unit.
The high RPM engine has class leading HP , but nothing substancial till 9000 RPM. (I dam near bought one tonight = beautiful machine !!) After a year of the BMW team trying to broaden the power band with no success, BMW might have to pull Kevin Schwantz, Mick Doohan or any 500cc 2 stroke grand prix racer/champion out of retirement to ride the peaky machine . The 2011 kawasaki ZX10R is also said to be peaky ISNT as radical so hopefully they can widen the powerband in time for next years WSB season Dont worry ill be routing for the kawasaki ZX10R . I just think Rea/Honda will be consistantly on the podium or close to it,sneaking away with the championship

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Not saying the old 10r aren't flawed they just aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

What happened to you race team/bike buell I think it was that was making 240hp?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JLG 220 hp 240lbs torque = because of unlimitd displacement for air cooled 2 valve twins displacement is 2400cc thans for asking its fantastic!!! We have Tripp Nobles as our rider. The bike is INCREADABLY fast especially on the bottom end with a linear powerband of 2000rpm-6000rpm if the rules permitted we could easily run with the AMA factory machines. Maybe even WSB factory machines. You can see we have tremendous bottom end power . The HUGE forced air oil cooler system I made is working very well our head temps are around 275-300 degrees even at race speeds . Lastly the Buell chassis is rock solid and very flickable at race speed handling is phenominal. Buells are good race chassis but not good for slow around town riding

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
Im :+1: with CP10R, Sykes was bringin her around at the tail end of the season last year. A couple of good podium finishes wouldnt surpise me a bit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts