Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
short tubes with bell shaped openings that reside inside the air box used to tune the intake velocity of incomming air before it hits the throttle bodies. I believe they can be altered in length to change your power delivery. I have never used them, the ones made for 04/05 got mixed reviews. It seems that the 06/07 guys are using short ones on all 4 intakes with good results. I'm sure another member can better explain the gains/ usefulness.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Just take off your tank (You have to take your seat off to do that) and pop the air box top to get to them. They have a few bolts to hold them in. Its not a big deal to do them at all. Clean your air filter while you are in there if you haven't done it in a while. Total install time is approximately an hour or so. You can do it without taking the tank off but you will hate yourself for it because the back screws the hold the air box lid on are really hard to get to if you don't. BTW there are two hoses on the bottom of the tank, one fuel line and one overflow line.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just take off your tank (You have to take your seat off to do that) and pop the air box top to get to them. They have a few bolts to hold them in. Its not a big deal to do them at all. Clean your air filter while you are in there if you haven't done it in a while. Total install time is approximately an hour or so. You can do it without taking the tank off but you will hate yourself for it because the back screws the hold the air box lid on are really hard to get to if you don't. BTW there are two hoses on the bottom of the tank, one fuel line and one overflow line.

Thanks for the info. Where do you buy them? Have you done this mod?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I know the 04s come with them stock, two short, two long. Garth will comment shortly and tell you to go with all shorties across the board, which means to replace your two long ones with factory short ones. RonAyers.com sells the factory shorties for around $5 a pop.
I haven't done this mod. The ZX-10R has fuggin' 160 hp at the wheel already as it is.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the 04s come with them stock, two short, two long. Garth will comment shortly and tell you to go with all shorties across the board, which means to replace your two long ones with factory short ones. RonAyers.com sells the factory shorties for around $5 a pop.
I haven't done this mod. The ZX-10R has fuggin' 160 hp at the wheel already as it is.

Thanks, now I get it. But 160 is stock. Im sure I get more with full exhaust, pc and tre. And just a few more woudnt heart.:badteeth:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
on the 04/05 you don't have to take the tank off. You can even remove the whole airbox without removing the tank. Just hinge the tank up and prop it. If you go to a wrecker gixxer thous have a tank prop standard equipment and they are near perfect for the kawi

·
Registered
798 Posts
pretty much all bikes have them and they are all set up very closely 2 outside stacks are small and the two inside stacks are long this is done to get the best of both worlds all short stacks help with high rpm power while all long stacks helps with low end power (thats why they use both to get a mixture of both high end and low end)

also why the new r1s have the variable stacks

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah all short stackls are defintly better, i actually spent last saturday on the dyno for over 5 hours tuning my bike and another and i was doing back to back runs with different length stacks and for my paticular set up the shortest stacks possible on the outside and the 3rd shortest on the inside, jsut gave my motor a lil extra in mid range and top end.

but for a stock application all short stacks are your best bet. If you really wanted to you can call factory pro and get custom length stacks instead of their set up they run which are huge centers and the smallest ones on the outside. I never liked how the long centers would get so close to the top of the air box espically since iw as running nitrous back then to.

Just buy yourself a set of stock outside stacks and pop them in on the center. Tuning of course will always get you a better net gain but we have had lots of 10s I do this mod to, defintly worth the while.

good luck!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah those are the factory pro stacks, the bike makes a lil more power with shorter middle stacks but either ones will gain you hp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts