Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to figure out where the exhaust leak was coming from on my 2019. I found it but I am baffled as to why the header is made like this. Is this a defect? Did something internal let go? The worst part is I have no clue how long it has been like this. It's the same on the top too.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the 2 gaps. Mine is leaking exhaust profusely from both the upper and lower gaps in that section.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,070 Posts
It shouldn't be leaking from there. The gaps are like was just said, just areas between 2 seperate pipes. If it is leaking best guess is some dipshit thought it a good idea to jack the bike up by the headers. I had a shop try that on my bike once. I about lost my shit on them. It can crack welds and or deform the headers, make the seal areas leak etc. It s
just bad practice

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike has never been jacked on the pipe as no one has ever worked on it beside me.

I did figure out what happened and the wall between the 2 D shaped parts failed.

Not sure if you can make out what's going from the pictures

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,070 Posts
Damn that's a bummer, I only take my bike in to get tires changed...figured that's when I could have happened. Glad to know that is t the issue. Sorry about your trouble. It should tech still be under manufacturer warranty though so you can probably get them to replace

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,070 Posts
Good news is you can get an aftermarket one!
Is that really good news? For 1500 bucks when most of them weigh more than the stock header and only make 3 to 5 more hp it's a big price for little gains. There are exceptions obviously but still

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not going to do an aftermarket header. I scored a really nice one on eBay for $120 shipped. We'll see how this one holds up.

I agree it should be covered under warranty but I'm not sure how they will view a race only bike with a custom tune. I may call the dealer I bought it from (bought it brand new) and see what they'll do.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,070 Posts
Not going to do an aftermarket header. I scored a really nice one on eBay for $120 shipped. We'll see how this one holds up.

I agree it should be covered under warranty but I'm not sure how they will view a race only bike with a custom tune. I may call the dealer I bought it from (bought it brand new) and see what they'll do.

I went through the effort of getting kawi to say in writing that any mods I made to my bike would not void the warranty. Including kawi kit cams. I listed off my mods, why I did them and where I purchased them and why I felt they should not void the bikes warranty and after a bit of a run around I got them to say my warranty would not be voided by any of it. Now I have never claimed it was a track only bike and in fact have only taken it to the track 1 time but hey milage may vary

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quite honestly I could make an argument against warranting it.

A “custom” tune can cause the exhaust to run hot, especially at sustained high rpm, causing the exhaust material to surpass the temperature it is designed to withstand. This excessive temperature is beyond the engineering limits and is directly responsible for the material failure.

It would really depend on what the dealer could slip through on the warranty claim. It would be in their best interest to get it covered as if it is not they make $0 as I will put a used one on. If they were to get it covered they would get the markup on the parts and the labor to install, which is much more than $0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quite honestly I could make an argument against warranting it.

A “custom” tune can cause the exhaust to run hot, especially at sustained high rpm, causing the exhaust material to surpass the temperature it is designed to withstand. This excessive temperature is beyond the engineering limits and is directly responsible for the material failure.
its possible the exhaust portion actually runs cooler once the exhaust/cat is removed because the exhaust flows better... would need to do a test to confirm, but anecdotally when getting rid of the cat on other bikes my exhaust sure felt cooler on long rides.

also... is the exhaust temperature getting hotter than the tip of the welding machine that seals that joint? i doubt it ;) it was probably just a bad weld from the factory, it can happen... should be covered under warranty regardless of any tune or mod if it was just a bad weld to begin with... would have cracked/leaked eventually even if stock.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,070 Posts
Yeah again, every damn mod on my bike I got approved directly from kawi in writing. Made it clear I intended to flash the ecu etc...and explained that it was simply because I didn't give two fucks about the emmisions shit or the noise controls and wanted to remove that crap and derestrict and in cap the bikes potential. Made it clear no second hand or cheap Chinese eBay parts would be used anywhere beyond some screws for the windshield and that I had and was keeping all receipts and that I sourced all parts directly from the manufacturer or in the rare case I couldn't buy directly from an authorized distributor. Can't void the warranty when they say that everything you do is ok and won't void it. Worth the effort if you plan to keep your bike

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will let you all know what they say. New header is on the bike. It’s much quieter now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ran into another guy at the race track with the exact same problem

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Checked my warranty card. I’m out by over 3 months.

These are less than $130 on eBay so I’m not going to lose sleep over it. I may buy a spare or two before more of them fail and the price shoots up though.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,070 Posts
Checked my warranty card. I’m out by over 3 months.

These are less than $130 on eBay so I’m not going to lose sleep over it. I may buy a spare or two before more of them fail and the price shoots up though.

That price is crazy when you look at the price of titanium tubing and how much of it there is, you couldn't make one for twice that price

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That price is crazy when you look at the price of titanium tubing and how much of it there is, you couldn't make one for twice that price
After paying $1000 for stock wheels this price totally blew me away (in a good way).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts