Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems like the stock exhaust was designed very poorly:don't know:, it's kind a good cause you can make a lot more power with an aftermarket one, but still got me confused. The header is somewhat 4-2-1 design but it connects cylinder 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 stead of 1-4 and 2-3, primary tubes seems little bit on the big side and the rest of the exhaust is little bit over sized, the under tail tubing were designed to support 210ish hp or so.

My question is to those with aftermarket exhaust, what size primarys on the header, and what type? ( 4-1 or 4-2-1), this big bore and short stroke engine almost asking for a 4-1 header, and I am sure 4-2-1 design is there to get little bit of bottom end torque back in it. And what size is the rest of the exhaust including the rear undertail section.

Thanks.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Its not a bad design, it actually does its job of providing some good midrange power with good top end power. The stock exhaust servo valve and the throttle body secondaries help to give it a little bit of low end. I mean try and help,lol.
A 4 into 1 setup would give better top end power but at the sacrifice of lower end power and most of the midrange. A 4-2-1 gives better low and midrange power but gives up peak upper rev power to do so compared to what a 4-1 would. The stock 2nd gen 4-2-1-2 setup gives all around performance. There's plenty of aftermarket exhaust that give a choice of what we want. I stuck with 4-2-1 for some streetability. I don't think muzzy made a 4-1 sidewinder for the 2-d gen. The 1st gen muzzy sidewinder is a 4-1 I believe. The brocks sidewinder is a 4-2-1 and brocks knows what makes good power on these 1000's.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
just y i went with arrow... but u loose a little power with a 4-2-1 also my reason for going back to the duals 4-2-1-2..

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just y i went with arrow... but u loose a little power with a 4-2-1 also my reason for going back to the duals 4-2-1-2..
That's what i was talking about, very good proper 421 header unlike stocker. Do you have anymore pics and measurements? thanks

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not a bad design, it actually does its job of providing some good midrange power with good top end power. The stock exhaust servo valve and the throttle body secondaries help to give it a little bit of low end. I mean try and help,lol.
A 4 into 1 setup would give better top end power but at the sacrifice of lower end power and most of the midrange. A 4-2-1 gives better low and midrange power but gives up peak upper rev power to do so compared to what a 4-1 would. The stock 2nd gen 4-2-1-2 setup gives all around performance. There's plenty of aftermarket exhaust that give a choice of what we want. I stuck with 4-2-1 for some streetability. I don't think muzzy made a 4-1 sidewinder for the 2-d gen. The 1st gen muzzy sidewinder is a 4-1 I believe. The brocks sidewinder is a 4-2-1 and brocks knows what makes good power on these 1000's.
you said it, it provides some good midrange lol, thanks to smaller valves, and no thanks to exhaust servo valve

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
The first brocks exhauust i had was the dual megaphon which i wish i never sold the sound/performance was great!!
I then went to the muzzy gp which was nothing more than a loud pipe compared to the brocks..
i then sold the muzzy to get the brocks alien head which was a large improvement over muzzy gp, however it still didnt feel sound/performe like the dual megaphone from brocks so i decided to go back to the dual brocks until i found the arrow at a price u couldnt pass up.. im still wautibg for the weather to break to take her out... for more pics go here and i dont have any measurements..

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98517

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first brocks exhauust i had was the dual megaphon which i wish i never sold the sound/performance was great!!
I then went to the muzzy gp which was nothing more than a loud pipe compared to the brocks..
i then sold the muzzy to get the brocks alien head which was a large improvement over muzzy gp, however it still didnt feel sound/performe like the dual megaphone from brocks so i decided to go back to the dual brocks until i found the arrow at a price u couldnt pass up.. im still wautibg for the weather to break to take her out... for more pics go here and i dont have any measurements..

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98517
thanks

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
it seems like the stock exhaust was designed very poorly:don't know:, it's kind a good cause you can make a lot more power with an aftermarket one, but still got me confused. The header is somewhat 4-2-1 design but it connects cylinder 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 stead of 1-4 and 2-3, primary tubes seems little bit on the big side and the rest of the exhaust is little bit over sized, the under tail tubing were designed to support 210ish hp or so.

My question is to those with aftermarket exhaust, what size primarys on the header, and what type? ( 4-1 or 4-2-1), this big bore and short stroke engine almost asking for a 4-1 header, and I am sure 4-2-1 design is there to get little bit of bottom end torque back in it. And what size is the rest of the exhaust including the rear undertail section.

Thanks.
Virtually all motorcycle inline-4 exhausts join 1-2 and 3-4 before joining the pair. Yes, it results in asymmetrical firing in each pair, but that's the way it's generally done. Doesn't matter stock or aftermarket, either. The Arrow exhaust shown above is very much the exception to this.

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Virtually all motorcycle inline-4 exhausts join 1-2 and 3-4 before joining the pair. Yes, it results in asymmetrical firing in each pair, but that's the way it's generally done. Doesn't matter stock or aftermarket, either. The Arrow exhaust shown above is very much the exception to this.
Just cause everybody is doing it doesn't make it correct, I really like that header, it's done right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts