Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 520 coversion for my bike and the chain is small of course but i didnt think it would be that much smaller than my factory 525. My conversion came with a gold did v3 chain which is their high end chain, so my question is what are the downfalls of the smaller setup i know the setup is lighter but what am i sacraficing for the weight savings. My buddy told me the chains stretch easier.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
There is one easy answer...

Longevity of the chain, plain and simple (if you buy a quality chain).

A Did ERVIII is one of the strongest chains made, BUT the roller bearings in the smaller (rods/pins) that hold the links together will wear faster than a chain with the larger bearings in the (rods/pins)..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input , so basically i have a good chain and the only thing i have to worry about is the bearings wearing out faster

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
I have about 15,000 km on a DID 520 ERV3 with a good-quality aluminum sprocket (+2 teeth on rear, stock number of teeth on front) and it has been fine.

The stress on the chain depends mostly on the number of teeth on the front sprocket, so if you want it to live long (and if you have a choice in the matter!), stay with stock number of teeth on front and do the ratio-adjusting with the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
586 Posts
As long as you use a 520 chain for 1000cc bikes, you are golden. Buy a good quality set of sprockets (ehmmm, Driven) and keep it clean, lubed and tensioned within factory specs. I have a -1 +2, love power wheelies, live in PA (harsh environment) and after 8000 miles, my 520 Driven set with an RK GXZ still looks new.

BTW, your Kawasakis came with a 525 pitch drive set, my Gixxer had a 530 set, looked like a tank tread, well almost!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts