Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the shop do a front and rear tire. He put 1 oz on each side of the rim in on spot on the front rim so there's a total of 2 oz there. I'm getting a bad shake and vibration at 85 90 is it because he used to many weights on the tire? I'm
Going to call later today and complain. The shake wasn't there before I brought them the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
tires should be rebalance for sure. I would be there to watch what he's doing. Tires can be very different I have had tire's that required no weight at all to balance them and other's that take a few oz to get correct.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tires should be rebalance for sure. I would be there to watch what he's doing. Tires can be very different I have had tire's that required no weight at all to balance them and other's that take a few oz to get correct.

I called the shop they said they have a machine that does it but I'm not so sure on that. He tried selling me tire beads at first and now i think he's giving them to me for free.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I called the shop they said they have a machine that does it but I'm not so sure on that. He tried selling me tire beads at first and now i think he's giving them to me for free.

I would not use tire beads. They should be able to balance the tire without beads. If they tell you they can't I would look for another place. I have never had to use tire beads to balance a tire. Sometimes a tire is made so badly it cannot be balanced my friend had that problem with a new dunlop Q3 its a defect from the factory. Dunlop had no problem taking it back and giving him a new tire. Your's doesn't sound that extreme they should be able to balance it with just wheel weights.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not use tire beads. They should be able to balance the tire without beads. If they tell you they can't I would look for another place. I have never had to use tire beads to balance a tire. Sometimes a tire is made so badly it cannot be balanced my friend had that problem with a new dunlop Q3 its a defect from the factory. Dunlop had no problem taking it back and giving him a new tire. Your's doesn't sound that extreme they should be able to balance it with just wheel weights.

I agree they should be able to balance the tire with weights there should be no excuse as to why they can't buy I thought that going for the tire beads would be an upgrade from weights. Have you tried the tire beads before? Now I'm not sure what to do.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have not used them but I have never had a tire that couldnt be balanced the normal way. I did a forum search theres a couple of threads about them some had the beads turn to powder inside the wheel. The concensus was that their not very good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do NOT use tire beads. repeat, DO NOT use tire beads.

2oz of weight is meh as far as that goes. it's just not balanced properly. should be done by hand, not machine.

Yup tire beads are a no go. I just read hells razor's review on them and traditional weights is what I want. Now will it help to mention that these are the first set of tires I'm replacing on this bike they went on at 4,3xx miles.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
First off, what type and brand of tire? Some tires have known issues. Some are more prone to shake.

Beads are ridiculous, NEVER use any kind of product that goes inside the tire to balance or seal it.

That wheel needs to be rebalanced correctly with a properly calibrated wheel balancer.

This happens sometimes. Next time try a different shop and ask how they balance.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off, what type and brand of tire? Some tires have known issues. Some are more prone to shake.

Beads are ridiculous, NEVER use any kind of product that goes inside the tire to balance or seal it.

That wheel needs to be rebalanced correctly with a properly calibrated wheel balancer.

This happens sometimes. Next time try a different shop and ask how they balance.

It's the PP 2ct's. I'm going tomorrow. I'll yall know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It's the PP 2ct's. I'm going tomorrow. I'll yall know how it goes.
I KNEW it!!!

Had the EXACT same problem with those tires (well, PP3 2ct's) on my FZ8. Talked to a dude at a track day, HE had the same problem.

I rebalanced, no change.

Just kept it below 100 mph (this is my FZ8) until I tossed them for some RoadSmart II's. They were better but the Q3s never did that on that particular bike.

Those PP3 2ct's were OK tires but that is a touring tire for heavy bikes like a big old ST1300, Concours 1400, BMW 1600, R1200RT, and so on.

I know some guys use them on sportbikes but really, use a sport tire on a sport bike.

Go with Q3's, or Pirelli Diablo Corsa, Bridgestone RS10, etcetera, your bike will appreciate it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use a static balancer for my tires. I can't remember having to use more than 1.5 oz's to balance. If a tire is off by much more I would rotate the tire 180 degrees on the rim and see if it made a difference. If it still shakes past 90 then I would get a new tire.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I KNEW it!!!

Had the EXACT same problem with those tires (well, PP3 2ct's) on my FZ8. Talked to a dude at a track day, HE had the same problem.

I rebalanced, no change.

Just kept it below 100 mph (this is my FZ8) until I tossed them for some RoadSmart II's. They were better but the Q3s never did that on that particular bike.

Those PP3 2ct's were OK tires but that is a touring tire for heavy bikes like a big old ST1300, Concours 1400, BMW 1600, R1200RT, and so on.

I know some guys use them on sportbikes but really, use a sport tire on a sport bike.

Go with Q3's, or Pirelli Diablo Corsa, Bridgestone RS10, etcetera, your bike will appreciate it.

What exactly are the Q3's iv heard they're good and how much do they run. Did you try talking to the shop about the tires being unbalanceable? I hope it's not the tire it's a hard to keep the 10 under 90mph

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
What exactly are the Q3's iv heard they're good and how much do they run. Did you try talking to the shop about the tires being unbalanceable? I hope it's not the tire it's a hard to keep the 10 under 90mph

Yes, Dunlop Q3's generally considered to be the best sport/track day tire out there. Pirellis, yes, but all Euro brands are about $100 more a set.

Some tires just don't like to be on a light motorcycle, I think. Dunlop Roadsmart II is similar to PP2/3 2ct, great grip for the street, but still the design seems to cause a shake in the front.

I never recalled having this issue the one time I used the Dunlop Q3's on the FZ8, it handled awesome and zero shakes.

I know some guys use the PP3's, Pilot Road 3/4, and so on with no issues but I heard there was a quality control problem with some of them. Don't know for sure. Never had any issue with grip, handling and feel were average.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts