Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Stoner retiring thread was so good it brought to mind another Moto GP topic. What's the deal with Spies? Last year he was consistent and strong. This year he can't get a break. I hope his luck improves.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I don't get it either. It's gotta be the bike. Or the tires. I'd like to see him and Stoner trade bikes and see what happens.
I wouldnt say its the bike, just bad luck. Last race, he got a bad start and had problems with his visor letting water in after he banged it on his windscreen at the start. his laptimes were respectable and could have been fighting with the Tech 3 guys. He likes Barcelona and maybe we will see a turnaround there.

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,132 Posts
I feel bad for the guy, I can't come up with any reason as to why he's the back marker. When CRT team beats you...that's bad! He's the step child of Yamaha, do teamates even share info. on testings? I hope he pulls a rabbit out of the hat for Laguna Sega.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was wondering the same thing.. I was thinking he was gonna podium finish for the season this year but its not looking good.... I hope he bounces back. I'm a spies fan but it was dam nice to see rossi do his thing this last race!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,029 Posts
I think a lot has to do with a run of bad luck initially, but now it's turned into a mental block. He came out of AMA and WSBK the king of the hill. Invincible. Thinking he could do pretty much anything. Last year he had that same mentality, but kept it reserved somewhat to learn the circuits and bike and who he was racing against. I think he thought he'd be faster and more competitive right off the bat and that's got his brain in knots now that he's not able to stay with the Aliens. Throw in some bad luck and that's not a good recipe. If he can find that rhythm and let go, then he'll be back out front. But with his contract up next year and him not in the mix, I think he might be looking for a new saddle next year. Sad when the CRT and Tech 3 guys are quicker than the number 2 factory bike.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
yeah guys he has the same bike as all the yamaha guys and i'd say he's a better rider than all of them but lorenzo. On a good day he's as good as him. Unfortunately, like skydork said, he's had alot of bad days. A few front end crashes does something mentally to these guys sometimes. If you dont trust the front, it takes a while to get that back. Add to the loss of confidence a run of bad luck, plus tracks you struggle at, and you have some bad results.

I think he's going turn it around. And he best be doing it soon. He's got doviziozo pining for his factory ride, and yamaha have already said preseason they expect better results than last year. If he don't get back to form soon, he'll be looking for a ride. I hear there's a repsol seat open. And by pedrosa's results, there should be 2 repsol rides available next year...

·
Registered
945 Posts
I`d like to see him pick it up and do better also, Thought for sure this year with the 1000cc platform and some time in racing the aleins He`d be right up there with them.

Agreed it was great to see Rossi up there this past weekend, he did say it all seems to be coming together in portugal.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
Hard to say what can creep into a mans mind when his confidence wains. Hes a stone cold killer though. Dont count him out in Barcelonia.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Maybe spies just got in over his head. He should have stayed in WSB for a few more years.... If just to prove that his WSB title wasn't a fluke!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
my friends, my pop, & myself have talked about this subject a lot this year. we too thought he would be a force to be reckoned with when motogp switched back to 1000cc's, so far its been very lack luster. now i will say what i really feel, using colin edwards, nicky hayden, & now ben spies as my example's, some guys have what it takes to run @ the front on a motogp bike, some guys have what it takes to run @ the front on a superbike, after watching our american boys these past several years i can say they are better sbk pilots then motogp pilots. now dont get me wrong im not writing spies off quite yet but i have wrote off edwards/hayden being competive in gp, those two should make the lateral transfer to world sbk where they belong, that series is great & i feel edwards/hayden would enjoy it there & be able to show they still have what it takes. edwards was pretty fun to watch in world sbk when he and bayliss would go head to head. i'll mirror what others have said about spies, front end induced crashes, rainy practice/qualifying/race weekends isnt helping, a stroke of bad luck to boot. however spies has always been one to say he puts his head down no matter what & tries to keep going forward, lets see if he puts his $$$ where his mouth is.

·
Registered
462 Posts
yeah guys he has the same bike as all the yamaha guys and i'd say he's a better rider than all of them but lorenzo. On a good day he's as good as him. Unfortunately, like skydork said, he's had alot of bad days. A few front end crashes does something mentally to these guys sometimes. If you dont trust the front, it takes a while to get that back. Add to the loss of confidence a run of bad luck, plus tracks you struggle at, and you have some bad results.

I think he's going turn it around. And he best be doing it soon. He's got doviziozo pining for his factory ride, and yamaha have already said preseason they expect better results than last year. If he don't get back to form soon, he'll be looking for a ride. I hear there's a repsol seat open. And by pedrosa's results, there should be 2 repsol rides available next year...
A better rider than all of them but Lorenzo???? Are you high on crack???? Spies will NEVER be a moto GP champion! His WSB championship was a fluke!

·
Registered
680 Posts
A better rider than all of them but Lorenzo???? Are you high on crack???? Spies will NEVER be a moto GP champion! His WSB championship was a fluke!

Please explain your logic behind this.

I think he should have stayed another year in WSB. The season isn't over yet though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Please explain your logic behind this.

I think he should have stayed another year in WSB. The season isn't over yet though.
On my logic behind this is that Spies came into Moto GP a rookie, with no GP experience whatsoever. Unlike Rossi, Stoner, pedrosa, Lorezno.... Just to name a few. Rossi is a 9 time WORLD champion and Stoner is a multiple world champion also. Spies will never be that caliber of rider. If he was, he would have already been a contender in the moto GP championship... Like Lorenzo and the others were before him. I guarantee that if Spies goes back to WSB, he won't win another title his first year back.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts

Ok let me get this straight, Spies in his first season, on tracks that he had never even seen in person much less ridden on, took a RECORD 11 poles in a 14 round season and won 14 times in 28 races and was on the podium 17 times to boot. Thats not a fluke that is total DOMINATION. Im not sayin Ben will ever do this in Moto Gp. Things are alot different there. But hes no flash in the pan rider. Hes gotta get his head back right. When he does that he will be fine.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

Yeah, spies is better than doviviozo and cal crutchlow. He'll be fine if he gets past his little mental block. He may or may never be motgp champion, his wsbk title was not a fluke, but he did make everyone else look like one though. Take this crap somewhere else, your remarks are ignorant.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
You have your opinion Bhawk, and then, the REST OF THE ENTIRE WORLD has theirs. I cant guarantee that he will ever be a MGP champ, but i can guarantee that his skill and his accomplishments thus far are no "fluke"....:lol:

With that said, i think bad luck is his number one enemy right now. He makes a few mistakes and either throws the bike down the road in practice or gets a shit start or has helmet malfunctions or whatever....but...so does everyone else. I think he is inside his own head, and if he can just get that one weekend where everything clicks, he can get his mojo back and show the field where he really belongs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yeah, spies is better than doviviozo and cal crutchlow. He'll be fine if he gets past his little mental block. He may or may never be motgp champion, his wsbk title was not a fluke, but he did make everyone else look like one though. Take this crap somewhere else, your remarks are ignorant.
My remarks are ignorant?? Where are you getting your information from??? Where did Spies end up in the 2011 standings compared to Dovivioso (sp?) ? Where is Spies this year? Using the term, "bad luck" is just an excuse to down play the poor performance of Ben Spies. QUESTION: if you were performing terribly in your job, could you get away with saying, " oh, I'm sorry. I'm just having a stroke of bad luck." I think not!! You'd get fired!
I think your statements are based in ignorance and pure bias towards Ben Spies, "the great American hope". Spies should have stayed in WSB. If he would have won a second WSB championship, I would have believed it wasn't a fluke.
Remember when Nicky Hayden (one of my favorite riders) won the Moto GP title? What has he done since? I don't see anyone on here making excuses for him!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My remarks are ignorant?? Where are you getting your information from??? Where did Spies end up in the 2011 standings compared to Dovivioso (sp?) ? Where is Spies this year? Using the term, "bad luck" is just an excuse to down play the poor performance of Ben Spies. QUESTION: if you were performing terribly in your job, could you get away with saying, " oh, I'm sorry. I'm just having a stroke of bad luck." I think not!! You'd get fired!
I think your statements are based in ignorance and pure bias towards Ben Spies, "the great American hope". Spies should have stayed in WSB. If he would have won a second WSB championship, I would have believed it wasn't a fluke.
Remember when Nicky Hayden (one of my favorite riders) won the Moto GP title? What has he done since? I don't see anyone on here making excuses for him!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Well. i'm wasting time but i got a minute or two so here goes...

I refuse to compare spies and dovi on their 2011 standings alone. And if i did, as you seem to, then you'd have to admit spies was the 5th best rider in the series, better than even rossi, which i doubt you will, so throw that arguement out. You can't judge a rider solely on his year end standings. He did win a race and i don't think dovi did.

As far as spies job being in danger, yes it is. And i believe i stated that on my first comment in this thread. But yamaha will not fire him a few races into the season as it seems you would. He will remain there this year. Get over it.

By your continuing of calling spies wsbk title a fluke, and then calling my statements ignorant, i think you don't know the definition of ignorant. Look it up.

No ones making excuses for nicky hayden, no one even mentioned nicky hayden. He's had 6 years since he squeeked by his championship plus the 3 or 4 years prior to prove himself. Spies is a couple seasons and several races into his motogp career, i'll give him a few more races before i want to send him packing to superbikes.

:eek:ccasion1

1 - 20 of 247 Posts