Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure who's seen this, but it's Suzuki's Concept for the 2017 GSXR-1000. It's only a concept at this point, but likely to go into production.

Highlights:
- Variable valve timing on the intake side
- Same balance free forks as the 2016 ZX-10R
- Some chassis tweaks
- Ride-by-wire
- 10-level traction control, adjustable while riding
- Three selectable modes of engine power delivery (Suzuki Drive Mode Selector – S-DMS) - Electronic ABS
- Launch control
-Quick-shift system for both up- and downshifts, implemented (for downshifting) via an auto-blipper

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Look wise that thing is ugly, spec wise it sounds cool, not much different than every other bike right now with all the electronics.
I'm not sure what variable valve timing does for performance?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look wise that thing is ugly, spec wise it sounds cool, not much different than every other bike right now with all the electronics.

I'm not sure what variable valve timing does for performance?

The only thing this bike had going for it is the variable valve timing. That should make for a pretty wicked power band with a wide, flat torque curve. We'll see though. Variable valve timing is the way forward for all the bikes in the near future. Lots of advantages if they can make a light weight, reliable system for the smaller motors.

The electronics still seem to be lacking. While everyone else has gone to gyros for monitoring the status of the bike, there's no mention of that in the specs and it's all done through software. Like the current gen 4.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
What's old is new again

In some respects that's very true. As a person who seeks eye appeal when making a purchase decision i'm pleased. Single side exiting exhausts are appealing to me and glad to see them reappear :notworthy: not having owned or ridden a bike since my 04 zx10 i haven't a clue what, how, where the electro tech advancements programming come into play as to their benefits for the end user/rider so i'm lost :|

BD

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Maybe the looks will grow on me, but that variable valve timing does sound really cool and really promising, GSXR's weren't that bad of a bike, although I did only ride a k6 and I loved the power delivery of that thing, if the new one has that same power delivery then I think that powerband will be crazy along with the variable valve timing.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Kawasaki Concours 1400 had vvt since 2008. You don't really know what you're getting, it could be a simple vvt with 2 positions ( advance and retarded), I wouldn't be all excited about it. But if the vvt is more techy, meaning it has multiple advanced and retarded positions it might be worth little bit of power and few mpgs. I am still waiting on direct injection with vvt and forced induction liter bike, hell even 500cc would do really.

I hope the bike is all that when it does come out, and it doesn't get ruined by a suzuki.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i'm sorry skydork but no, you are still old, again. now, and forever...

i'd love the gsxr to make a comeback. every bike should just be badass. the cbr is slated for 2017 remodel so that could be a great year for those 2 to finally get back in the game that bmw started, kawi followed with and yamaha just joined

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kawasaki Concours 1400 had vvt since 2008. You don't really know what you're getting, it could be a simple vvt with 2 positions ( advance and retarded), I wouldn't be all excited about it. But if the vvt is more techy, meaning it has multiple advanced and retarded positions it might be worth little bit of power and few mpgs. I am still waiting on direct injection with vvt and forced induction liter bike, hell even 500cc would do really.

I hope the bike is all that when it does come out, and it doesn't get ruined by a suzuki.
This is true. But according to the description I read, the centrifugal bearing arrangement in the cam made it sound like it was a more variable type setup instead of just discrete positions. And that would make it pretty simple mechanically. Again, we'll have to wait and see how it performs. But I see electronically controlled VVT as the next big break-through in the motor department. How that's implemented on a smaller high-performance motor is anyone's guess, but I imagine it's coming in the not too distant future.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm sorry skydork but no, you are still old, again. now, and forever...

i'd love the gsxr to make a comeback. every bike should just be badass. the cbr is slated for 2017 remodel so that could be a great year for those 2 to finally get back in the game that bmw started, kawi followed with and yamaha just joined
Yes, I'm still old. But I feel new again. And the GSXR-1000 is just as old as I am at this point. In bike years anyway.

Competition never hurts to advance the technology and keep things moving forward. If Honda and the Snoozuki can up the game a little bit, then the rest will follow suit. But I was hoping that this Gixxer would be a bit more revolutionary. Seems like they're just really trying to get back in the game rather than pushing the envelope a bit.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Yes, I'm still old. But I feel new again. And the GSXR-1000 is just as old as I am at this point. In bike years anyway.

Competition never hurts to advance the technology and keep things moving forward. If Honda and the Snoozuki can up the game a little bit, then the rest will follow suit. But I was hoping that this Gixxer would be a bit more revolutionary. Seems like they're just really trying to get back in the game rather than pushing the envelope a bit.
unfortunately i had that same conversation with a buddy the other day. it seems they're just playing catch up. they need to bring something from the gsxrr down quickly.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
unfortunately i had that same conversation with a buddy the other day. it seems they're just playing catch up. they need to bring something from the gsxrr down quickly.

I'm not sure the GSXRR has anything special to bring down though.:sad:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I don’t think you could go wrong with any of these ’16 bikes, gxr, r1, gen5, rsv4.. they will all perform beyond most street rider’s capabilities anyway. That being said the gen5 would be my first choice

1 - 20 of 43 Posts