Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the site but ive been riding for a while but have never done any mods to any of my bikes. Heres the situation i have an 06 zx10r and i threw a rod and a couple of other things. What im trying to figure out or want to do is rebuild the motor but put a couple of motor mods to the bike to beef it up. I want to have bottom end power and top end. What would be some good mods to do to the bike.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Buy an 08...shit! I didn't say that, no seriously...try talking to Garth here on the site and he could help, he has one heck of a built first gen.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
:welcome:Welcome to the best forum on the net.:welcome:

You've come to the right place. I'm not an expert in that field, but trust me somebody will chime in an let you know what you should do.:thumbsup:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
thanx sinner.... :thumbsup:

Icon.... is your motor still able to be rebuilt... usually when you throw a rod its not pretty??? what all happened to it...

if your going to build a motor pistons, cams, and headwork will help out a ton...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
didnt really throw a rod i just found out. Something about a bucket broke and the valves were hitting something and crankshaft had deep scratches on it. one of the pistons was hittin but didnt break. Basically they said there was metal floating all in the motor. I love the power on the bike. One thing i do know it kept up with a busa and after i raced one thats when it all started making a knocking sound after i raced one.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
well I guess it all depends on the amount in your check book lol.... you can do lots but it all costs alot...

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
thanx sinner.... :thumbsup:

Icon.... is your motor still able to be rebuilt... usually when you throw a rod its not pretty??? what all happened to it...

if your going to build a motor pistons, cams, and headwork will help out a ton...
I just tell it how it is.

Nice to hear about that busa Icon_one, I finally talked to the guy with the 04Busa and he keeps telling me I have no chance, he's an older guy that knows quite a bit about bikes, but must not be up to date since he bought his. He thinks that once we hit 150 he's just going to leave me. As it sits though, he's got a bent shift fork so his second gear isn't any good, so I'll be offering him a 3rd gear roll on from 60 mph. I think there was a second gen motor for sale here on the site, you might want to check that out, otherwise take it from Garth. If my bike is still on it's wheels in another year, I'll probably send it down to him myself and have a built motor by the summer of 2010, just as the new bikes roll out.:badteeth:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When i raced the busa in 1st he took me but when we went in 2nd i always took it. At least if i do the pistons and cams id figure i could take a busa allday. Money is no problem. I was also thinking about doing a turbo kit on and doing more work to the motor.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
When i raced the busa in 1st he took me but when we went in 2nd i always took it. At least if i do the pistons and cams id figure i could take a busa allday. Money is no problem. I was also thinking about doing a turbo kit on and doing more work to the motor.
Damn, I wish I could say the same, would love to scrap the heavy crank that comes in these 2nd gen motors. I'd like to keep the stock gearing, or even go down one in the rear cause I liked the high speed, so power power power, the only way to go.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah, the only thing that sucks about turbos is that if your into the "occasional street racing" who is going to race a turbo 1000??? thats why I love all motor....

a lil more weight on the crank isnt such a bad thing.... supposed to be torquier motor with a heavier crank but I took 1 lbs 9 oz's outta my crank and she spins right up...

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
yeah, the only thing that sucks about turbos is that if your into the "occasional street racing" who is going to race a turbo 1000??? thats why I love all motor....

a lil more weight on the crank isnt such a bad thing.... supposed to be torquier motor with a heavier crank but I took 1 lbs 9 oz's outta my crank and she spins right up...
Yeah, the heavier crank on the second gens was suppose to produce better torque delivery and more linear power, then with the 08 10R's they removed two pounds, but kept the same rotational inertia. So if you took that much weight out of your crank then imagine how much lighter of a crank mine would need. Granted weight isn't the problem, as the 08's show that the rotational mass is what matters. You can advertise this and that but I just want it to spin quicker, I think.:dontknow:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would like to have a turbod zx10 but like you said no one would probably like to race but staying NA would be cheaper and better.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I would like to have a turbod zx10 but like you said no one would probably like to race but staying NA would be cheaper and better.
Yup with a built motor and a good tune 200 hp should be an easy achievement on pump gas, am I correct Garth?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
finally ordered all my parts and have the bike in the shop getting the motor redone. JE forged pistons and rods. Light weight balanced crankshaft, Cams, bigger valves, Power comander, and getting regeared.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Sweet, keep us in check here and leave your impressions when its done. I know I'll be waiting.

·
Registered
819 Posts
200 HP on motor is going to be a hard number to get, without some serious cash, pinning the block, or going dry block, which will make it non streetable, its not going to happen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts