Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im going be replacing my cams,doing a valve adjustment ,changing spark plugs,new valve cover gasket and thinner head gasket whatelse should i do ?
am i missing anything maintenance wise my has 23k on it 05 zx10

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
Oil , coolant , brake fluid....I have the same bike with higher mileage, I may brake down and give her a make over too..

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil , coolant , brake fluid....I have the same bike with higher mileage, I may brake down and give her a make over too..
you havent done a valve adjustment yet ? mines isnt making any noise but sense im going to swap cams might as well have the valves adjusted also

·
Registered
89 Posts
They retain the valve springs from flying out of the engine. :mrgreen:

If you are going as far as replacing the cams (are you going with the stock ones?) with the aftermarket ones, with more aggressive lift and duration, it would be smart to replace the valve springs with beefier units, if it's called upon.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They retain the valve springs from flying out of the engine. :mrgreen:

If you are going as far as replacing the cams (are you going with the stock ones?) with the aftermarket ones, with more aggressive lift and duration, it would be smart to replace the valve springs with beefier units, if it's called upon.
yes im going with kawi race cams ok thanks i needed that info thanks alot i just wrote it on the to do list :BangHead:

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
you havent done a valve adjustment yet ? mines isnt making any noise but sense im going to swap cams might as well have the valves adjusted also
No, no valve job yet..Sh*t, I still have the stock spark plugs , clutch, chain & sprocket :badteeth:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, no valve job yet..Sh*t, I still have the stock spark plugs , clutch, chain & sprocket :badteeth:
lol you crazy man i have -1 +1 with new chain did my exhaust filter pc3 and i do my oil changes on time and thats it i want this thing running better then new im going to change the plugs while everything is apart might as well :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
i would replace the oem cam chain tensioner for a APE manual adjuster. cheap insurance & it will help keep that motor runnin quiet :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would replace the oem cam chain tensioner for a APE manual adjuster. cheap insurance & it will help keep that motor runnin quiet :)
have you done this to your bike ? its a manual adjuster ? whats the stock one i wrote this on my list too

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
have you done this to your bike ? its a manual adjuster ? whats the stock one i wrote this on my list too
yep to my 10 and my 636 :mrgreen: the oem is hydraulic and the APE is manual with more adjustment and a good upgrade over the stocker.

·
Registered
89 Posts
yep to my 10 and my 636 :mrgreen: the oem is hydraulic and the APE is manual with more adjustment and a good upgrade over the stocker.
How do you measure the slack on the chain, with the manual one, and how do you know how far to crank it down?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
How do you measure the slack on the chain, with the manual one, and how do you know how far to crank it down?
when you remove the stock cct. just replace it with the manual adjuster. tighten the nut down on the manual adjuster, start the engine and adjust to you hear no ticking or rattling, if you hear a whineing sound then its to tight. once you have it set lock the adjuster nut down. very easy job to do and pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
89 Posts
when you remove the stock cct. just replace it with the manual adjuster. tighten the nut down on the manual adjuster, start the engine and adjust to you hear no ticking or rattling, if you hear a whineing sound then its to tight. once you have it set lock the adjuster nut down. very easy job to do and pretty straight forward.
Great. Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts