Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
09 ZX10R Anniversary Edition
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got these from my 2009 ZX10R, I'm not quite sure what year they're off of. I'd like to get some new pads for them and I need to know the year.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That caliper is the same as any zx14 had, before the brembo caliper bikes in 2016. Same caliper as the concours 14 uses, so the year isnt that important.

What sucks is the caliper used 4 pads, per side, so it's like buying 2 complete pads sets for anything else. It's worth it, though.

This is a really good pad for that caliper. You want to avoid ebc or galfer, even if they cost less. A good caliper, like this, is wasted when you buy ebc pads.

·
Registered
09 ZX10R Anniversary Edition
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks man, yea I'm not a fan of EBC after trying the HH Sintered pads on my 09 ZX10R on the stock Tokico calipers. Alot of drag, noisy, etc. So I was pricing out the stock OEM ZX14 pads (43082-0122) and they are about $60 per caliper (damn), so the Vesrah's are roughly the same price according to the link you sent?

From kurveygirl.com "Listed Price for 1 bike set (2 Calipers) of FRONT brake pads!!!" - this means (8) total pads then no for $134?

Obviously would rather have the Vesrah's over the OEM for the same price

·
Registered
178 Posts
They have to be on sale? I know I paid closer to 180 for mine. At that price, I should have a back up set.

I didnt mind the oem pads, for this caliper. The Vesrah pads are more powerful, though, and much more smooth feeling.

Plus, its always fun explaining why a business named "Kurvy Girl" ends up on your credit card statement. I swear, I should start selling motorcycle parts and call my business "The electric company" or "gas bill".

·
Registered
747 Posts
Does anybody have a detailed opinion on the various Nissin calipers from the older ZX6R and ZX14R?

I've been doing the research and have found 2 options and I simply don't know what's best. So this is what I've found so far:

• there are 2 similar appearing 4 piston calipers that came around 2006- 201#s. Some have the banjo fitting at the top of the caliper while others have them located in the center (like my 4th Gen Tokicos).
  • one option is a 2 piece caliper with 4 individual pads. It seems to me that it would be a more flexible caliper but with 4 leading edges so the pads scrape the rotor better for more initial bite?
  • the later 6R models are monobloc calipers with 2 larger pads (similar to my 4th gen Tokicos) so they should be a stiffer caliper for better braking at the limit but with less initial bite. Possibly a cheaper pad replacement as well.
  • one or both options use shorter mounting bolts than my Tokicos do? This is important because I would buy titanium bolts to complete my conversion.

*I also found that Triumph 675s came with 108mm Nissin Monoblocs (not the 675R which I believe has 100mm Brembos). They seem to be an option but the banjo fittings are angled around 45 degrees so that might be an issue for lines?

I like the idea of a monobloc caliper but I'm actually looking to improve initial bite so I'm torn between the options. I also realize that the interference of my ABS system is an overriding factor so I would only expect incremental improvements if any at all (plus I dislike the look of the Tokicos for some reason). I'll be sticking with my OEM Nissin radial master cylinder since I just bought a CRG carbon lever for it.

All opinions are appreciated!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,396 Posts
All of the Nissins for the ZX-14, ZX-6R, and Concours 14 that use them are the same thing. The part numbers are all the same. The only difference between them is the pads that are used and that's what makes them different between them. The ZX-6R is lighter, so the friction level of the pads is different. That's it as far as comparing the Nissins between those models.

If you're looking for more initial bite, you'll notice that with the pads you choose, not the caliper. That's more of a friction thing than a force thing. The pads should clamp together and sit flat on the rotor, so the leading edge is irrelevent. Especially if the pad doesn't move uniformly and the trailing edge hits first. As far as 4 pads per caliper, the leading edge doesn't matter for that set up. The advantage of that is that the pads are individual and the clamping force is more uniform because they can move separately. If one piston is slower than another, the 2 pad version doesn't clamp together quite right because the pad backing constrains it based on the slower piston. With 4 individual pads, they don't have that type of constraint and clamp as quickly as they can. Even with a slower piston, 3 out the 4 pads have clamped which is better than the other option.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks Sky! I knew that you'd have really helpful info.

I'm now straight on the fact I was looking at different generations of OEM calipers. The 2 piece ZX6R calipers (with 4 smaller pads) appear to be from late 2007 - 2012 ZX6Rs and the monoblocs are from 2013+ ZX6R (2 larger pads).

So the question remains, do I want to buy the earlier or later ones? I plan to rebuild/refinish them so the wear and age shouldn't matter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts