Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i just bought a orange 2004 zx10r with 4,300 miles. I sold the ZX9R and wanted to upgrade. I love the bike and the way it looks but im not a 100% satisified with the way it runs.(i think my old 9r would give it a pretty good run)! I have read all i can about the perfomance parts for the bike. But im NO PRO and dont know much about the computer -fuel injection stuff.

i just want the bike to be at its full potential!

THIS IS WHAT IM ASKING ALL OF YALL : IF YOU HAD $1,000 TO PUT INTO A 04 ZX10R WHAT WOULD YOU BUY TO MAKE IT RUN THE BEST?

**i already got a full exhaust, and a K&N airfilter**
+ no nos or turbos+
some of the things im thinking of are
- 1/5 throtle
- thin head gasket kit
- TRE , but should i go with ivans or GIPRO w/ ATRE
- ignition advancer , dynojet?
- Pcm3
- sprockets
- Buy the PCIII & ignition module through Ivan and you get his map pre-loaded
- a non cali ecu

I know there are some great set ups that work together but which is your favorite or which have you had sucess out of!

im taking you guys word what ever yall say is gonna make the bike go fast and be dependaple is what im going to buy!:wink:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Its good you gave us a price range but how much work you want to do is important also....

1st with your two mods.. you need a power commander. I would also suggest a TRE (Ivan's will do just find unless you just want a gear indicator). Then I could get a -1 tooth front sprocket OR +2/+3 on the rear with a new chain. A timing module would be my next step. You need to get mapped out for the timing/fuel modules then. That should have your 1000 bucks or so.

A thin head gasket and kawi race intake cam would be great combos to do also but I would do the other stuff first. I'd just wait until everything is done before you get a custom map.

Sorry I know I told you just about everything you had wrote down. Really your list is not too far shy of being at 1000 bucks.

Power commander-270-300
Timing Module-300
Custom Tune-300
TRE-60
Front Sprocket-20
Rear Sprocket and Chain-150
Thin head gasket- 35
Intake cam- 100 (they might have just gone up in price though)

I guess if I had to cut any of those out it would be the rear sprocket/chain (unless yours is worn out) and the timing module. However if you don't want to do serious motor work, don't mess with the cam/gasket and do the timing module.

I've got every bit of what you asked about besides the 1/5 throttle insert... if you have more specific questions let me know. I also have head work and a big bore as does garthman285. Maybe it will help to know what you want the bike for. Peak performance is a very vague idea because everyone has a different opinion on what that constitutes.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah the intake cam is up to 300 bux now... I Think it was a computer glitch for a few years or something lol.....

sprockets will defiantly make the bike feel a lot better but getting it tuned is one important thing to do....

·
Registered
973 Posts
Brakes

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm guessing you're a straight line guy. :dontknow: But anywho definetly get the PCIII and a custom tune. Best bang for the buck is dyno tuning. Also the 1/5th turn and chain & sprocket set are great. I run -1 in the Front and +2 in the Rear with a 520 chain. Also you can probably squeeze in a set of Factory Pro V-Stacks. Despite what some people say they do make a difference when run with pipe, air filter, and tuning.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
the first thing you need to do is get the suspension dialed in if you ride any corners or trackdays (really no matter what you do).

Start with a steering damper no matter what
PCIII with a good or custom map
Brakes-05 zx6r & up radial master-with some stainless lines & HH pads.

so many things, but all depends on your riding intentions

·
Registered
186 Posts
:hello::hello:IVAN'S TRE,PCIII,OHLINS SH.ABSORBER,ACRAPOVIC EXH(ASK FROM IVAN THE CUSTOM MAP),A N O T H E R REAR SHOCK SPRING.ALL THESE FOR SAFETY,RELIABILITY!!1/5 CONV. O N L Y FOR TRACK USE:wink:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Well, since you got 1 Post on this site and gave no details of your ZX9r...plus this is important...remember this you bought a ZX10R USED and who knows what problems it has after 4300miles and the abuse from the previous owner.:wink:

Now, as far as the zx9r giving your 10 a run for the money that doesn't count anymore. I came off the zx9r modified, full system, special carb upgrades and ran like a beast....but when I first got my 04 10R I only needed to open it up once to know I had something special and much faster than my 9r which at the time I thought I could take on Busas with my 9r :headshake:...with my 10R I know I can.:wink:

So, my advice to you is go get your bike fully checked out like compression checks, some dyno #s against other bikes the same day. If the bike checks out good it's most likely you don't realize the difference from your 9r with better lower gearing but make no mistake a 10R stock will eat your old 9r even with those great bolt-ons.(also if your in high elevation you may not feel much difference from the 9r to 10R)

Now, with that said try gearing your bike down 1 tooth in the front a 104mph is not needed for a bike and that may be why your a little miss guided between the 2 bikes if your Used 10R checks out to be good and at stock gearing....it may help for your riding style or the comparisons you have been doing so far.:dontknow::wink:

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm with BD on this one, as in, I would be looking at the mechanical health before spending cash. What sort of full system is it (some of them give absolutely stuff all gain) and how it the filter looking? I would get a PCIII and a custom tune to get it running correctly, or piss it all off, go back to stock and spend all the money on suspension instead.

A simple revalve with new rebound pistons, modded compression, and a shock mod will get the thing singing with gas. As a bonus, you'll hardly need the steering damper. Make sure you have it set up for some bumps, not a rock hard track machine. You can go bloody quick with a street set up on the track, but you'll die in the arse when you try going quick on the street with a track setup. Unless of course you have silky smooth track like roads all around you.

I still prefer the '04 engine to the '06, the thing is an animal. So much midrange and a great top end that bloody scares you the first time you go over 7000rpm on a tight road "oh shit, the road is running out!"

Make sure the fundamentals are good too. Good tyres (PPs, Diablo SC IIIs, BT002 etc), chain sprockets, throttle body sync, good oil n all that.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
1/5th throttle conversion
sprockets -1/+2
PCIII

But make sure everything is running like it is supposed to

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you

Hey thanks guys for all the info. i should have been a little bit more specific on some things. first off the zx10r is a whole different animal from 130++ mph than my ZX9R. the zx9r was pretty dang mean out of the whole and till about 120mph then it sarted slowing down a little,as the zx10r keeps pulling much stronger. (so yes i am giong to -1 in front +2 on back and see what that does). Also my zx9r was loud as heck and my zx10 is completely stock and it sounds so quite(hate that) right now. But i ordered a complete muzzy and k&n off fleabay, but it hasnt arrived yet.Also im gonna get a steering damper. but i just was wanting to know about the power performance first!

so im goona buy try to buy these items in this order:

- sprocket -1 front +2 back
- probaly gipro atre
- power commander 3
- ingnition advancer

for now then when i get some $$ i might look into head gasket and cams
also on the power comander 3 what map should i get?
-should i buy a pcm3 from ivan with his custom map?
- fleabay (they offer free mapping if you tell them what you have done) or not to trust their mapping

Please if anybody has anything to steer me straight on the performance let me know!!!

thank yall for all the help so far!!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
get the cam now while its still 84.00 and the head gasket is like 14.00. Your new here and didnt see the price hike on the cam so jump on it right now! Even though you dont have the money to have it professionaly installed you can have it on hand for later use. If you wait too long... Kawi might jack the price up on the cam to 299.00 like they just did a couple days ago. Your other mods sound good btw.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If your zx9 feels as fast as your zx10 then you really need a tune up. You got the pipe now get a power commander. My bike actually ran slower after I got a pipe and pc3 without a tune. You NEED a pc3 in order to tune! Then plus, maybe your clutch is slipping??? Maintnance things 1st

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
What the hell is a pcm3??? I think you have missunderstood someone somewhere. A lot of people will buy ivans tre and a power commander from him and he puts a map in the power commander for you. Since you already got one on the way I wouldnt worry about it. As far as what map you ask? You will kinda have to find a map with about your same mods from on here or dynojets website and put it in. Its not hard to do. It will suffice for now until you go get a custom tune done on your bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
First make sure it is running the way it should stock.

Then sprockets and a 520 kit, get your pipe on and throw the cam and headgasket in.

Buy a pc3 and get it tuned.

Should be able to get all that for under $1000, but you will still need someone to do the work.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I actully have a map that would get you real close if you went with the cam and gasket. I had mine tuned by Ryan Schnitz when I had mine cam and gasket done, it also is for a Muzzy pipe, but I do not have a TRE. I have removed my secondary butterflies instead. That could save you about 200 to 300 bucks.

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread but what the dif between:
The KHI Race Cam - Intake: Item # : 49118-0034 $85 and
Racing Camshaft: Item # : 49118-0077 $300

·
Registered
614 Posts
Bah, forget all that crap and just spend a grand on suspension instead. At least you'll be able to go around a corner faster.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts