Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new here. I am thinking of getting a zx10r. I found a deal on one that has a cracked frame. I do welding for a living so it would be easy, so my question is, what type of alloy is in the frame? I think 6000 or weldable 7000 series?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi. I'm new here. I am thinking of getting a zx10r. I found a deal on one that has a cracked frame. I do welding for a living so it would be easy, so my question is, what type of alloy is in the frame? I think 6000 or weldable 7000 series?

I would steer clear of any bike with a cracked frame. Even if welded it could give you problems.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Likely not.... a good deal of the sections of the frame are cast, so you are probably looking at the casting alloys (XXX.X), though I have ZERO idea which one or in which state of temper. the other sections are formed, so that likely rules out 7XXX.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
You didn't mention the year but I personally know Gen 1's have been successfully repaired by being welded. I don't know if they are good enough for track use afterwards but for usual street they are good. Someone on here will mostly likely chime in and give you the answer you are looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it is a 2005. I plan and only use it as a street bike, no wheelies etc. My opinion is that I've welded broken aluminum dirt bike frames and they've never come back, and they have a lot more stresses on them then just plain street riding.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Code:
Yes, it is a 2005. I plan and only use it as a street bike, no wheelies etc. My opinion is that I've welded broken aluminum dirt bike frames and they've never come back, and they have a lot more stresses on them then just plain street riding.
My 04 broke and I replaced the frame. There's too many different places where the frames were cracking and I needed to tear the frame off anyway to fix it. I paid $750 CAD for it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Code:

My 04 broke and I replaced the frame. There's too many different places where the frames were cracking and I needed to tear the frame off anyway to fix it. I paid $750 CAD for it.

This would be a better option... if it's cracked in one place, chances are it's cracking (or putting added stress) in other places depending on how it was handled when they moved it from place to place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
7N01

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone confirm that 7n01 is the type of alloy? I know they used it on some swingarms and wheels but I never knew about frames.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts