Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was gonna remove my wives wheels for tire replacement, grabbed my sockets, looked down and WTF kind of crap is that, how I never noticed that I don't know. But either way, what do I use to get them off?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Motion Pro (I believe) makes a special tool that is 4 different sizes to fit almost any front axle possible. I don't have one yet but highly recommend them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
just curious, hows the front wheel on the gen 3's on there? cause on mine (05, first gen) it a 22mm socket and a 14mm hex, i beleive.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks the same, just backwards,LOL. Just a backwards socket, kind of like a giant Allen wrench, definetly looks cleaner but still a pita.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
^Most of the modern bikes have the big allen style deal like that.

Reactions: flthy1

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motion Pro (I believe) makes a special tool that is 4 different sizes to fit almost any front axle possible. I don't have one yet but highly recommend them.
you're the man!! It's the hex axle tool, made of chrome moly. Rep sent!! Although maybe I should send a bit of negative for sending me to a site that has all sorts of crap I don't need but want, LOL. Thanks man!

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you want a homebrewed tool instead of spending bucks on a giant allen or a the like, go to the hardware store and buy a bolt with the right sized head to work as the hex. Buy one nut to weld on the end (or two if you can't weld - just double nut it). Then you can use an ordinary socket :badteeth:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks but it's only 30 bucks and saves me the 30 trips out to the bike at the hardware store to find the right size, I've got the worst luck with crap like that and no I can't weld.....yet.

·
T Double D
870 Posts
or do what i do and just flip over your spark plug too usally the six sided end of it if you flip it over works perfectly for me its the one that fits the bike

·
Registered
95 Posts
i found a bolt with the proper size head to fit the axle and then welded a nut onto it and away we go.... cost 0 dollars..works like a champ

·
Registered
424 Posts
Was gonna remove my wives wheels for tire replacement, grabbed my sockets, looked down and WTF kind of crap is that, how I never noticed that I don't know. But either way, what do I use to get them off?
After you've refitted the front wheel and torqued up the front spindle, (127 NM) chock the front wheel with a block of wood or similar and bounce the front end of the bike up and down 4-5 times to fully locate the forks. Then do the 4 allen key lower pinch bolts up to 20 NM. Thats the official procedure to make sure everything is seated properly. The caliper mount bolts should then be tightened to 34 NM. Hope that helps.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
If you want a homebrewed tool instead of spending bucks on a giant allen or a the like, go to the hardware store and buy a bolt with the right sized head to work as the hex. Buy one nut to weld on the end (or two if you can't weld - just double nut it). Then you can use an ordinary socket :badteeth:
ive used one of these that my buddy fabed and it worked well

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just went through that !! Used a 3/4 sparkplug socket backwards (crapsman) i punched out the rubber insert and put the extension in backwards fits perfect . gl

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I bought one of these a few days ago $15 at Harbor Frieght

Great for use with cordless drill/ drivers. Includes 3/8'' drive and 1/2'' drive metric hex bits and a clip rail for organized storage.

* Use when removing sensor plugs on the top of a small-block intake manifold on domestic automotive engines
* Chrome vanadium steel construction
* Sizes: 3/8'' drive: 4mm to 8mm and 10mm; 1/2'' drive: 12mm, 14mm and 17mm

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just went through that !! Used a 3/4 sparkplug socket backwards (crapsman) i punched out the rubber insert and put the extension in backwards fits perfect . gl
The socket I bought for $1.50 would not allow an extension to slide in, so I used a pipe wrench on my spark plug socket.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts