Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am removing the secondary butterlies on my 07 and in the process 3 of the screws are jacked. Thats where the bad decision making started! I decided I've come too far to put it back together so I used an EZ out and pulled the 3 screws out. In the process of course there are small metal shavings and dust and while I got most of it, I wasn't able to get all of it so I'm sure some small dust got through the primary throttle bodies, in fact I know some did because I opened them to make sure I got it all and had to use my magnetic screw driver to pull some metal shavings out. Whatever did get in was a small amount of dust/very small particles, what should i do now?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Id go in with a really good magnet and spend some serious time cleaning them out and making sure I got them all. But I hear ya, some of them screws are tough

·
Registered
860 Posts
You can try sucking it out with a vacuum cleaner, either with tb's on or off. Or swabbing down in the intake tract with a paper towel with carb cleaner on it (helps pick up the dirt and cleans). Hopefully the valves were closed on the intake side otherwise it could be in the cylinder. If you want to get crazy you can always pull the head. If it's just some small dust don't worry about it will blow out the exhaust. It's not going to cause catastrophic failure. Dust and dirt in the cylinder will just wear down the cylinder walls more quickly. The key there is wear not bounce around forever beating everything to hell.

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am going to do the oil change also but this went into the intake, will it damage the pistons/cylinders/rings? I'm concerned about running it. I used a pretty good magnet and pulled everything I could get to with it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Id go in with a really good magnet and spend some serious time cleaning them out and making sure I got them all. But I hear ya, some of them screws are tough
whatever particles are in there are not going to get past the rings into the bottom end. They will get blown out the exhaust on the first ignition.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Dude, I just did the same exact thing today. Luckily I only had to drill out 1 screw.
I just lined the throttle body with painters tape.
Once done, I blew it out, carefully removed tape, and I was good to go.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Hate to hear that.

I posted it somewhere deep inside the "other" thread, set a good magnet on the primary flies! Those screws are very soft.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Better to take the TB's out and clean them. You will also have more room for the to clean the ports of the head.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hope everything works out all good; Lession learned for me anyway.
I haven't taken my 2nd. butterfly's out, but if I do I will FIRST take a clean white piece of sheet and lay it down in the tb's to catch any debree and or some blue light stick painters tape to catch anything that accidently falls down there.

I had my bike dynoed two months ago, if I take these 2nd. butterfly's out will it affect my dyno tune, and 2nd. will I loose a noticable mid range? Is this simple mod for top end?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
if you guys run into a problem removing a screw and have to drill one out, I'd reccomend removing the TB's and doing it on a bench, not worth risking damaging a ring IMO

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
if you guys run into a problem removing a screw and have to drill one out, I'd reccomend removing the TB's and doing it on a bench, not worth risking damaging a ring IMO
werd. mine were out when I did it.
I was able to blow out whatever shavings were left in there

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Rather than use a screwdriver I used a long pair of needle nosed vise grips - just locked them on and twisted them out.
BTW I noticed a big change in throttle response.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Rather than use a screwdriver I used a long pair of needle nosed vise grips - just locked them on and twisted them out.
BTW I noticed a big change in throttle response.
Thanks for the review of the mod. Always good to hear another opinion. I'll prob never do it since I have a TRE, but maybe I'll get a chance to ride one that has had it done, and it could change my mind.

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
i had to tap one out but had issues with almost half of them. They sure get down on those screws from the factory, which makes sense but theyre just so damn soft. I also just used a magnet and cleaned the best i could and problem free for bout 4k.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
i had to tap one out but had issues with almost half of them. They sure get down on those screws from the factory, which makes sense but theyre just so damn soft. I also just used a magnet and cleaned the best i could and problem free for bout 4k.
I'm telling you Vise Grips work awesome

·
Registered
72 Posts
What i did was use a heat gun right up close for a minute or so than use a retract a bit scew driver. Put a little pressure and should come out without stripping! I also put a rag under the plates to make sure nothing got in there:thumbsup: Oh and she woke up quit abit!

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
I have not removed mine, but I did try 1 screw one night just to see when I had the air box off doing the block off plates.

I was using a brand new Snap On screwdriver and the screwed started to turn with little effort.

Seriously, spend a couple of bucks and buy a new screwdriver versus using a worn one. If you have any wear on the tip expect it to strip. The screws are not only loctited, but have penned over ends on the opposite side as well.

You need a screwdriver tip that gets good purchase in the screw head.
:+2: use pressure and take your time!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
So...... does this make you loose any mid range???
and what is the purpose of the secondary butterflies from the factory???, so removing them does what???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts