Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 days ago I went to start up my bike and when I turn the key to the on position the gauges lit up however no noise came from the fuel pump or servo. When I tried to start the bike it tried to turn over but didn't. Also while holding the start button down the FI light flashed rapidly however when I stopped pushing the start button the FI light turned off. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 30 min. After reconnecting the battery the bike started up fine. I turned the bike off and on several times and roughly 3 out of 4 times it would do the same thing as before (no fuel pump priming noise or servo noise) but 1 out of 4 times it would start fine. Then yesterday it gave me the silent treatment with the flashing FI light (only when pressing the start button) however this time disconnecting the battery changed nothing. Now, this morning I reconnected the battery (after leaving it disconnected all night) and when I turned the key on not only did the fuel pump and servo stay silent but there was a rapid ticking noise coming from the relays directly posterior to the battery. The almighty -OP- came over and tried to help diagnose the problem to no avail.
Here's a list of what we tried:

-Put his battery in my bike
-Connected his servo eliminator to my bike
-Disconnected my power commander
-Checked fuses, connections etc.

Bike was running perfectly up until it suddenly went silent. ANY suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I had with mine. When you turn your key on and the pump doesn't prime. Turn your key back literally just a hair and see if your pump primes. If it does take some dielectric grease and take the cap off the bottom of your ignition and put grease in there. That fixed my promlem

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about the kill switch but it wouldn't make sense that the FI light would rapidly flash while I was pressing the start button would it? Is there an easy way to bypass the kill switch to try it?

·
Registered
280 Posts
You might be on to something with the kill switch. I took a few minutes to study the wiring diagram, and the kill switch interrupts the following circuits:

power going to the ignition coils
power going to air switching valve
ECU to main relay to fuel pump and fuel injectors

You can bypass the kill switch by bridging the Brown / White wire to one of the Red wires in the right switch cluster connector. To start the bike, very carefully touch together Black / Red wire to one of the Red wires using a piece of wire.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might be on to something with the kill switch. I took a few minutes to study the wiring diagram, and the kill switch interrupts the following circuits:

power going to the ignition coils
power going to air switching valve
ECU to main relay to fuel pump and fuel injectors

You can bypass the kill switch by bridging the Brown / White wire to one of the Red wires in the right switch cluster connector. To start the bike, very carefully touch together Black / Red wire to one of the Red wires using a piece of wire.
Awesome, thanks for the input guys, it's very helpful. Now if I could just get a day off work to try all your suggestions I'd be set!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Vehicle down sensor, kill switch, crankshaft sensor stop pump prime for sure.
Maybe also gear position, camshaft, sidestand sensors, don't remember...

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,368 Posts
What the hell man, that's just a map of the Starbucks in my area.
Sorry, I had too many shots this morning and was under the influence.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
this might sound crazy BUT by chance do you have your cover off that cover the front sprocket? I took mine off to check my front sprocket and didnt put it back on i think thats what was making my fuel pump not prime up:dontknow:

Well i put the cover back on and now my pump is working again crazy.......
im thinking that cover is a ground try that your cover might be loose.

let me know:bump:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this might sound crazy BUT by chance do you have your cover off that cover the front sprocket? I took mine off to check my front sprocket and didnt put it back on i think thats what was making my fuel pump not prime up:dontknow:

Well i put the cover back on and now my pump is working again crazy.......
im thinking that cover is a ground try that your cover might be loose.

let me know:bump:
I did check that but no luck. Also tried Magma's suggestion but that didn't work either.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Do you still have the stock header? You may check and make sure your exhaust servo is working properly. The servo could be not working and that'll definitely throw and fi light and keep your bike from starting. Just look at it when you turn your key on and make sure it actuates, although that won't keep your fuel pump from working.. Sorry if you already tried that. I didn't have time to read all the posts. May also check the plug on the side that goes to the fuel pump and make sure it has good connection. That will definitely keep your fuel pump from working as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you still have the stock header? You may check and make sure your exhaust servo is working properly. The servo could be not working and that'll definitely throw and fi light and keep your bike from starting. Just look at it when you turn your key on and make sure it actuates, although that won't keep your fuel pump from working.. Sorry if you already tried that. I didn't have time to read all the posts. May also check the plug on the side that goes to the fuel pump and make sure it has good connection. That will definitely keep your fuel pump from working as well.

Yeah the servo, butterfly valves and fuel pump are all not working. I'm thinking it's the vehicle down sensor but I'm not sure where it's located. Anybody here know? Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts