Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had big install day yesterday. Block off plates. Removed ais, removed exup cables and exhaust, mounted graves slip onand installed woolich hardware..everything accordingly spent 1.5 hrs double checking and reassuring i was good to go. Noticed low beam wasnt working but high beam was didnt pay it any mind thought ballast was acting up the HID kit is off my triumph about 2 yrs old. Today both headlights not working started forum surfing found 15a fuse is blown swapped it out started bike no headlight removed the fuse blown again ok replaced it. Now bike wont turn over wtf...removed the fuse blown again reinstalled oem bulbs still wont crank. Noticing a sort of snap from the rear everytime i start the bike not sure if normal never paid attention but now a 15a fuse for headlights leads to bike not starting...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turn the key fuel pump and everything else comes on check engine light stays on with the red light under it. Hooked up laptop dont see any codes. The popping still happens when i turn the key

·
Registered
112 Posts
the fuse is blowing for a reason, either an overage or a short. 15a is a fairly big fuse to blow, I wonder if it’s possible you damaged something else electrical further up the circuit? Have you checked the regular / other fuses?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Noticing a sort of snap from the rear everytime i start the bike
This is probably starter relay "snap". Measure if voltage gets to starter, if not then see service manual electrical diagrams and measure if you have voltage at relay coil when start button is pressed.
Headlight fuse cannot affect anything other than main fuse, but that must be ok since fuel pump works.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the fuse is blowing for a reason, either an overage or a short. 15a is a fairly big fuse to blow, I wonder if it?s possible you damaged something else electrical further up the circuit? Have you checked the regular / other fuses?
Checked the other fuses nothing out of place. Always unhook negative terminal for all work i do on the bike. Archer said hids do bug with the zx10 not sure i put a 30a in there to see what happenes. Wondering if all hids are universal or if the kit feom my daytona is to much for the zx10.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noticing a sort of snap from the rear everytime i start the bike
This is probably starter relay "snap". Measure if voltage gets to starter, if not then see service manual electrical diagrams and measure if you have voltage at relay coil when start button is pressed.
Headlight fuse cannot affect anything other than main fuse, but that must be ok since fuel pump works.
Got the bike started i hooked my truck up to the bike let the battery sit for a few minutes after that i jumped the starter relay bike started right fine left everything alone and let the bike just run for 15mins. Unhooked the cables turned bike off and it fired right back up. Not sure what the issue is still, but shes running no warning lights and headlights working again well the high beam working low isnt think the ballast is acting up if i cant get it going swapping my old bulbs in

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I wouldn't be putting a 30amp fuse I would be trying to find what caused that 15a to blow!you have connected something wrong or jammed a wire when mounting everything up!start from the beginning and triple check all connections!the 15a blowing like that is that feed is overloaded!the feed has been crushed and earthing out!or you have connected something wrong in your travels today!DONT just start putting higher amp fuses in that's when wires can melt mate

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it possible during Woolich install that something got wired incorrectly? This sounds like a bad ground?
Followed all direction and then double tripled checked only thing i left was the connector to the ais i tucked it under the rubber covering out of the way didnt break or pinch anything i believe. But doubt the ais connects to my headlight. I also rewired the actual hid ballast in case i pinched one of those. And ordered another kit because this one is about 2.5 years old

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't be putting a 30amp fuse I would be trying to find what caused that 15a to blow!you have connected something wrong or jammed a wire when mounting everything up!start from the beginning and triple check all connections!the 15a blowing like that is that feed is overloaded!the feed has been crushed and earthing out!or you have connected something wrong in your wetravels today!DONT just start putting higher amp fuses in that's when wires can melt mate
Your right my main concern was getting the bike running again couldnt miss formation. I ran out of 15a fuses it only comes with 2 i will be picking some up today and then ill remove the hid ballast plug in my oem bulbs and put in a 15a fuse if it doesnt blow then its the hid kit if it blows then ill take everything i touched apart and redo my steps.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it possible during Woolich install that something got wired incorrectly? This sounds like a bad ground?
Unlikely. The wiring install is pretty straightforward KDS connector to KDS connector on Type 13a harness, extension to ECU pin and back to Type 13a harness. He has sucessfully flashed his ECU so if something was stuffed up in the install he wouldn't have been able to flash the ECU or encountered issues.

I think there is something that got pinched during the block off install and is grounding out or else he has a problem with the ballasts either too high of wattage say 55W vs 35W or a problem internally with one of them especially if it is a lower quality kit. I asked him to disconnect the HID ballasts and see what happens. *Shrug*
Both ballast are unplugged as you told me to until i can get the 15a fuses i believe the ballast are 55w not sure all the writing on them are faded.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I can understand you wanted to get it running but believe me 30A fuses will start cooking wires!for it to blow 2x15A something is wrong!100% you have crushed wires or connected a wire incorrectly!leave your battery disconnected and find the issue otherwise you will have a problem that could get out of control!you wouldn't believe the domino effect once 1 wire starts to melt!bike!garage!house you get me

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can understand you wanted to get it running but believe me 30A fuses will start cooking wires!for it to blow 2x15A something is wrong!100% you have crushed wires or connected a wire incorrectly!leave your battery disconnected and find the issue otherwise you will have a problem that could get out of control!you wouldn't believe the domino effect once 1 wire starts to melt!bike!garage!house you get me
w

Have the bike apart down to the block off plates no crushed wires found the connector to ais is unharmed and is tucked in the same place the ais so i know theres room

Thought i installed a phone holder with a charger all it is.is a power wire and ground attached to the battery nothing else. Also the place i put the one wire connector that goes into the u harness could that be i just double check if its the right i even pulled out the clear pin block to install it...other then that it has to be my grounding out

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so im thinking the high beam side grounded because it was tucked inside where the metal housing for the headlight was and i didnt wrap the connectors in electrical tape..but not sire because its been like that since day one. Put oem bulbs in swapped fuse just putting take and intake together before turning on to test. This is the housing and the connectors. Now the connector i put inside the bike headlight connector but didnt wrap them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
When did you fit the headlight ballast and wiring!now if it wasn't at the same day and your headlights have been working fine up until fitting the rest of the gear it would be very unlikely that something to do with h/l like ballast shit itself!not impossible but can happen!look at the wiring diagram for the fuse that's blowing and see what it feeds!you will find your fault going in that direction if you have triple checked your work and 100% sure it's 100% good

1 - 20 of 24 Posts