Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2009 ninja ZX10 and I am not sure what I should run the RPMs at because if I run it in the green I will stay in first gear the whole time I ride.. also what temp should I be concerned of the bike over heating or melting the fairings (which I have seen before)

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
I don't think he is talking about idle speed. I think he's talking about while riding. And ... it depends.

On the racetrack ... Up there, in the powerband usually (8000 - 11000ish), but in some tighter corners you may wish to intentionally be a gear high (lower revs) so that the throttle is not as sensitive and you don't have as much engine braking - less risk of a highside.

Normal urban/extraurban puttering around - 4000 - 5000 when accelerating moderately, highest gear it will pull without chugging when cruising and there is no foreseeable need to accelerate on demand. It will putter along steadily in 6th at 3000 rpm if you so desire, although mine is not happy below that in the higher gears. If traffic conditions are such that you might need a burst of acceleration then have it a gear lower than that ... although with my bike, at motorway speed there is no need to be a gear lower; 6th gear will still deliver rip-your-arms-off acceleration ...

Using an unnecessarily low gear when cruising steadily just makes it run hot, makes more noise, uses more fuel, wears it out faster, etc.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
I like to stay around 6000rpms when riding. I've noticed I get better mpg out of it. The lowest ill ride is generally 5k before shifting.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
257 Posts
I usually end up riding with revs between 3k-5500 and I most of the time end up in 6th gear. These bikes have close gear ratios so at lower speeds the difference in rpms isnt that much. So you can ride in 3rd at 60 or 6th and be ok either way. I find 6th still has plenty of pull at just about any speed above 3krpm though.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I like to stay around 6000rpms when riding. I've noticed I get better mpg out of it. The lowest ill ride is generally 5k before shifting.

^ +1, but honestly honestly if you have to ask that question you simply just need to ride the bike more, like 10,000 miles more and you'll figure it out. Not trying to come accross ask cocky or an ass but anyone who rides sportbikes, or any bikes for that matter know you ride and feel for it, there is no looking at the rpms for when to shift. I rode for years with no speedo at all, no rpms, gears, gas, milage, shift light. Nothing its all feel, learn to feel the bike.

As for overheating, Start to worry around 230 deg F, in traffic on a 100deg day 220F ok, if the conditions aren't like that and you're getting above that its time to flush real good and maybe a new cap. When the coolant area blinks "high" is when something is up and you're overheating and on the verge of damaging you're bike. I've seen that once or twice on real hot days in the canyons doing back to back short runs over 10k the whole time. But also discovered I needed a new Rad cap at that time because the overflow tank couldn't siphon back coolant, so I was running with to low coolant in the Radiator.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
U must be geared -9 ,+10 6ixxer, bec stock gearing thats definitely Not true. Im -1 on my 08 and its sluggish at anything under 4500 except 1st

·
Registered
474 Posts
^ Amen. Bigcat remember some people think 10 over the speed limit is fast. lol. Dude 6th gear below 8k is bog city. Yeah compared to a 600 its not "slow" but by no means does it have pep to its step. That's stock,-1 +1,-1 +2,tuned anything its just slow its in a gear that goes to 190mph lol.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
+1 go by feel.

It just depends on what you are trying to do...if you just want to get good gas mileage then putt it in a higher gear that doesn't seem boggy. Of course the higher the gear the worse the acceleration is going to be...so it's a trade-off. If you want more power and engine braking then keep the r's up and the gear down. Just get a little more seat time on her and you'll feel her out.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I have to ride 1,000,000 rpm's constantly or I'll die. Think Jason Stathom in Crank..That's me. Crazy fighting skills, British accent (mine's fake). Little more hair.

I go through a LOT of bikes.

Don't know why.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I have to ride 1,000,000 rpm's constantly or I'll die. Think Jason Stathom in Crank..That's me. Crazy fighting skills, British accent (mine's fake). Little more hair.

I go through a LOT of bikes.

Don't know why.

:badteeth: :mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts