Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the stock pressure specs are 36 and 42 cold... What I'm askin' is what are you guys actually runnin' in 'em to make 'em work right for ya? Personally I've settled on 40 rear and 34 front. The front end just felt too damned hard to me and the more I rode the less it felt like a suspension/dampening issue. It just felt like a solid friggin' tire instead of an air filled, compliant tire. I dropped to 35 and felt an improvement but it still felt a bit too hard. Went to 34 and it smoothed out a LOT. It is smoother in all turns but it especially changed the way it feels in high speed sweepers.

At stock pressures the 10 didn't seem to like sweepers. Instead of holdin' a smooth line it seemed to "hunt" and/or occasionally dart back and forth slightly. At 34/40 cold it smoothed out and just dances through the sweepers now. I was takin' some nice long sweepers at 140+ yesterday and it just glued to the line I set it on. It also felt better in the tighter stuff. The front feels like a tire now instead of a solid ring of hard rubber. It even reduced the amount of vibration I felt in the grips. I know runnin' lower pressures than recommended can cause pre-mature wear but I'm willin' to make that trade off if it continues to handle and ride like it did yesterday.

So, for those of you who play with pressures to "get it right" instead of usin' the stock specs, what pressures are you runnin'? Anyone else hit on 34/40 as just right?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'd love to have had a set of Powers for the dealer to install before I rode home. Just didn't have the funds at the time. As soon as I can part with the money I'm gonna have either Powers or Diablos on it...

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I think I went with 33 front and rear. They've been off for awhile.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy said:
I think I went with 33 front and rear. They've been off for awhile.
Goin' that low in the rear didn't make it soggy?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
El Diablo said:
Goin' that low in the rear didn't make it soggy?
:lol: he said 'soggy' :lol:

33psi is a good baseline # and once they gain a bit of heat you'll end up with about 37psi.

BD

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
miykl said:
I'm running 33 front (218) and 31 rear (180/55 208 rear). I ran the same pressure with the stock 218.
Thanks for the input. I will continue to drop 1psi at a time each ride until I find me a sweet spot. The front was pretty fuggin' sweet at 34 but another psi down might be even better. I'll try it and see...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big Daddy said:
:lol: he said 'soggy' :lol:

33psi is a good baseline # and once they gain a bit of heat you'll end up with about 37psi.

BD

Hmmm... I'm a pretty big dude (read fat ass) and prolly don't have the "oversprung" issue as bad as the lighter jocks do. I still found the 10 pretty stiff. As I mentioned before though, the more I ride it the more I suspect stock specs for tire pressure. It really doesn't feel like a suspension issue to me. It honestly felt like the tires were just solid rings of hard rubber. Felt much better yesterday with the pressures down though. Makes sense to me. Startin' at 36/42 prolly puts 'em up around 38-40 front and 44-46 rear when warmed up. Stands to reason they'd be hard as fuggin' Fred Flintsone's rollers...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback BD. I'll keep playin' with the pressures until I find my sweet spot. 33-34 should be fine up front. I'll keep sneakin' down a cold psi at a time until I get the rear to feel sweet, too. Maybe then I won't be so eager to go for that aftermarket suspension stuff that I can't afford.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
El Diablo said:

. Maybe then I won't be so eager to go for that aftermarket suspension stuff that I can't afford.
I know I'm getting in over my head commenting on suspension settings.. BUT< all I've done is turn the compression dampenning down a half turn in the rear. Made it a ton more planted. One day I'll set it up right...

·
PostWhore
13,495 Posts
YIMMA said:
you should run more pressure up front like 34f/32r
:+1: ....ide say 34-35 up front.....33-34 in back....if i remember correctly, thats what i ran when i had em on.....a little lower if i was riding harder, but never higher......i run 34 rear 36 front on the pp's

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
honestly the 218's have no buis on a ten shitty tire go to the 208's or pilots or shinkos or something.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man, YIMMA dug up a bone! This thread was posted when I got Diablo. :crackup: I know now that the D218's are shit no matter what pressure you run in 'em. :thumbsup: I'm going to get a set of tires for it soon and sell the D218's to a local stunter for cheap to offset some of the cost of the new tires. I'm seriously thinkin' about tryin' the Diablo Corsa this time. I dunno... If not those, then I'll prolly run Powers.

·
PostWhore
13,495 Posts
LOL...i didnt even look back.....i was thinking to myself....what the heck is El D doin worryin about stock rubber....

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BadAzzGuitarPlyr said:
LOL...i didnt even look back.....i was thinking to myself....what the heck is El D doin worryin about stock rubber....
:crackup: Yep, when I saw the title I didn't read the name at first. When I opened it and saw that I posted it a year ago I was like WTF? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Big Daddy said:
YIMMA just thought you needed a refresher since you hand't been on a real bike lately. :wink:

BD
Well, there are probably a few things that I do need to be refreshed on, but the fact that the Dunflop D218's are shit isn't one of them. :crackup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts