Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was turned onto royal purple 10 w 40, seemed to do the job no complaints, any thoughts?

Reactions: ShervinRRR

·
Registered
344 Posts
Currently Mobil 1 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. Heard good things about Motul, and was going to try that next oil change.

Ken

·
Registered
253 Posts
is there specific oil for these bikes? some pics and other input is appreciated. iv never change oil on a bike but iv changed oil on a few thousand cars lol

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
virgo extra virgin olive oil:spit:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Which oil to use in said bike is such a big controversy...some people swear on certain oils and completly despise others. Me personally i used regular royal purple 10w-40 never had a problem but i swithed to an actual "bike" oil and now im runnin castrol power r4 5w-40. Which its great from what ive experienced so far. The only downside is its a tad bit lighter weight so theres a lil bit more noise in the clutches

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Search button works. but I will bite I use canola but when its special meals its virgin olive. No surprise with the olive I guess.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Went through a case of Amsoil 10-40 (great stuff) and now giving Rotella 5-40 a try.

·
Registered
410 Posts
about the rotella.....I have been using for years with no issues. However, rumor has it that the formula has changed. This was recently posted on another forum I visit.

Shell Rotella Motor Oils (A diesel oil commonly used in sportbikes) are now API-SM rated (Versus the SG Rating it previously held).

What Does This Mean?
-Lower Concentrations of ZDDP
-Lower Concentrations of Phosphate
-Addition of Wear Additives & Friction Modifiers
*Friction Modifiers cause wet clutch slippage

In Laymans Terms.
-Anyone whose bike has a Wet Clutch should consider discontinuing their usage of Shell Rotella Motor Oil (Its safe to use their SG Rated oil if you still have some).

What Should I Use Instead?
1. Use what's recommended by your motorcycles manafacture at a minimum if you are unsure of what to use.

2. For further recommendations & explanation read the next section.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I actually have a gallon sitting in my basement right now, but I keep forgetting to look at it to see if it's true or not. If so, and it's no good for bikes anymore, they're going to be missing alot of business next quarter.

·
Registered
308 Posts
about the rotella.....I have been using for years with no issues. However, rumor has it that the formula has changed. This was recently posted on another forum I visit.

Shell Rotella Motor Oils (A diesel oil commonly used in sportbikes) are now API-SM rated (Versus the SG Rating it previously held).

What Does This Mean?
-Lower Concentrations of ZDDP
-Lower Concentrations of Phosphate
-Addition of Wear Additives & Friction Modifiers
*Friction Modifiers cause wet clutch slippage

In Laymans Terms.
-Anyone whose bike has a Wet Clutch should consider discontinuing their usage of Shell Rotella Motor Oil (Its safe to use their SG Rated oil if you still have some).

What Should I Use Instead?
1. Use what's recommended by your motorcycles manafacture at a minimum if you are unsure of what to use.

2. For further recommendations & explanation read the next section.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I actually have a gallon sitting in my basement right now, but I keep forgetting to look at it to see if it's true or not. If so, and it's no good for bikes anymore, they're going to be missing alot of business next quarter.
True. I am a firm believer in motorcycle specific oils. Of coarse people with disagree but the problem with car oils is the lack of Zinc/Phos (now days it is really bad)and they do not have good shear resistance additive. The trans and engine sharing oil is very hard on oil. Will car oils work? Of coarse they will. It is not the best oil you can use in your bike though. Saving 20 to 30 bucks on a oil change when you have thousands in your bike does not seem like money well spent to me. Never has.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Things Needed:
1) Another Oil thread
2) Best mods thread
3) Brake fix/caliper swap thread
4) Post pics of your pets thread

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
Things Needed:
1) Another Oil thread
2) Best mods thread
3) Brake fix/caliper swap thread
4) Post pics of your pets thread
why you gotta crush the hopes of the new comers:lol:

but seriously, a search will give you the answers to all the questions you have, starting with the 4 cuhuba has listed.

and i'm sure those threads are still open for you to contribute to.

for the record,(which i've stated in a few threads) Amsoil 10w 40

1 - 20 of 63 Posts