Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Most of the guys here are runnin' extra virgin olive oil. Just kiddin'. If it is a new bike that hasn't seen a thousand miles yet I would run Shell Rotella T 15w40 available at Walmart in gallon jugs. After break in I would run a synthetic. I am runin' Mobil 1 4XT 10w40 but any 10w40 will work.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
The owner's manual gives the recommended viscosity (depends on outside temperature) and the required specification approvals ...

I have Elf 10w50 synthetic in mine right now, for what it's worth.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I run the Kawi synthetic...its by motul.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
tons of posts and one in partiular that I'm thinking about (maybe I'll search it for you later) but just had amsoil 20w50 full synthetic put into the bike at 3100 miles, bike runs and shifts smoother now

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Just run a good brand oil, most switch to synthetic after the first 1000 miles or so. Once you have past that point it is completely up to you. Asking that question on this forum or any other forum for that matter will get you nothing short of 150 different answers as each person has their own thought on the subject.

Personally I use Mobile MX4T, but the rumor is that Mobile is not going to be making it anymore. I bought about 12 quarts of it last year, enough for 3 oil changes.

you can use a synthetic that is the right eviscosity for your climate as long as it says "NON-ENERGY CONSERVING" on the back of the API label, or just make the oil does not say "ENERGY CONSERVING" on the back of that API label.

for the next question of how ofter, I go 3000 miles on the synthetic stuff. It is proven to change any mroe frequent than that is a waste of the oil as it most of the time is not contaminated enough to need changing.

My car uses Mobile 1 full synthetic and I go 5000 miles between changes, only reason I dont go that long on the bike is due to the wet clutch, but to change it at 1000 miles is absurd and way too costly for my taste adn or paychecks. I would have to change mine every week or two at that rate, and at $50 per oil change that would be too costly.

·
Banned
248 Posts
i use the spectro golden synthetic 10w 40. i drag mine more than twice a month and havent had any probs. oil plus filter usually runs me right under 40 bucks. since i do little street riding and mostly race it, i change mine around 1k miles.

·
Registered
477 Posts
as can be seen, any oil will be fine, heaps of choice here and nobody having problems. Just make sure it's a bike oil and change it when you are supposed to, you'll be sweet. have fun

·
Registered
76 Posts
:beer: i recomend motul it os the best oil that exists if the bike does not have alot of miles i would prefer to put semisyntetich motul 15 50 or if you alredy went synt then go for full duntetich 15 50 motul ,+motul has a nice smell

·
Registered
477 Posts
well I suggest bike oil coz most people wouldn't tell which car oil they can and which they cannot run, so by running bike oil, you know you're fine. You can use SOME car oils, but if they run friction modifiers in them, your clutch will slip. But again, you ever heard anyone in the last 5-10 years saying "do not use this oil, my motor blew coz of it" ??????

·
Registered
804 Posts
Moshpro07 said:
I went ahead and tried repsol, i hope this shit's good ??????:eyecrazy:
Repsol is good. I use the regular repsol with the factory filter. A friend of mine has a 04 zx10r and he has 30,000 miles on his bike. He runs the shit out of it all the time and has had no problems since. I also asked him about changing the oil every 1500 because I run mine hard to and he said that it's worse on it changing it that early as opposed to going the 3000 miles, just his opinion but beings he has been working with kawi's for years and he has a good rep on the street and the strip I trust him, just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts