Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On just about every single motorcycle I have ever seen, there is always an abundance of "slop" in the kickstand pivot point.

It's almost as if the mounting hole is 3/8" diameter and the thru bolt is 1/4" there is that much "wobble" of the stand itself.

Now once it's deployed, it plenty strong enough of course, and the slop has never been an issue as far as I know, but I was just curious why the pivot isn't nice and tight and aligned like a door hinge, is there a valuable design advantage to all the extra movement?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
That's a good question... I'm sure it is by design for some reason.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I feel as if even slamming the bike over on the kick stand couldn't break anything. Maybe it is more to be friendly to the surface the kick stand is being put on.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
There is no need for this to be a precision-fit. And, it operates in a nasty environment. If it were a close tolerance fit, the slightest amount of contamination by sand or dirt could jam it up, and *that* would not be good.

A sloppy fit is cheaper to make. A lot of the time, it is just a cast-in hole, no machining whatsoever, with a shoulder bolt through it. No reason for it to be a precision pivot so why spend the money to do it? The return spring holds it enough to stop the sloppy-fit from rattling.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I always thoght it was a little sloppy when its up is so it could flex if it hit the ground on a turn or something instead of digging in and crashing you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
when would you ever drag kick stand? pretty sure youd be dragging a lot of other hard parts long before you dragged kickstand and thats if its even possible which i have high doubts about

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
There is no need for this to be a precision-fit. And, it operates in a nasty environment. If it were a close tolerance fit, the slightest amount of contamination by sand or dirt could jam it up, and *that* would not be good.
That sounds plausible to me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
when would you ever drag kick stand? pretty sure youd be dragging a lot of other hard parts long before you dragged kickstand and thats if its even possible which i have high doubts about
it was a quick thought, I am more so talking about that long piece that sticks out of the kick stand, so your foot can move it. It looks like it sticks out as far as the peg.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
it was a quick thought, I am more so talking about that long piece that sticks out of the kick stand, so your foot can move it. It looks like it sticks out as far as the peg.

They did that just for me, so I could see it easier and hit it with my foot.

Everyone else just has to live with it :crackup:

·
Registered
281 Posts
i seen a buddy drag a kickstand on my old zx9 after he bought it. he lowered it and the kickstand stuck out a lil i guess but i seen it. it happens.lol

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
There is definately a designed in reason for it, its not just sloppy engineering and machining. It's like that for a reason, sorry I don't know why:crackup:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Momma always said: It's there to make you ask questions.

Well, I guess it's doing it's job.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I use mine to collect cone tops while pole racing. :mrgreen: got this one at around 110 MPH !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts