Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know much even with reading about the tre upgrade but im wondering to possibly get more sway to one side or another which is a more sought after upgrade for my 08 zx10. The TRE? or the 1/5 throttle insert? FRom what i got out of it after the confusion is that they both improve throttle responsiveness. DO they both take care of the problem but in different ways? and what happens if i put both on does it get stupid fast?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
tre improves a throttle response, meaning that if the bike is idling and you suddenly twist the throttle it will increase RPM smoothly (but fast) rather than jerky.

1/5 insert makes the throttle wide open at only 1/5 of the throttle handle turn. Factory has a 1/4 throtthe, meaning that it would take 90 degrees of throttle turning to fully open the butterflies

these two mods are completely different.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhhh i will just have you translate all the technical mumbojumbo from now on . rofl thanks for the reply so if i put both on i will have a quicker smoother response from my acceleration and only have to twist a little bit

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
1/5 throttle and secondary flies out all the was. I am not a believer in the TRE. Not sure it makes that much of a difference and the damn thing eliminates the gear indicator. That alone turns me off to it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have an 07 that I recently installed BOTH items on. It has been raining cats and dogs up here so I haven't been able to ride with them yet. I am already impressed with the quick throttle of the 1/5 insert. Keep in mind that I have an 07 so it doesn't come stock with a gear indicator and getting the GiPro w/ ATRE was an additional present. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahhh thanks 9 to 10 no gi screw that i just crossed it out off my upgrades list i planed on no sec. already tho gotto get rid of them with that hideous stock can im gonna cut a piece of piping until i can get what i want

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so the 1/5 throttle insert from rifle man is this interchangable with an 06 636 also or can it be ordered for both? that and my 08?

·
Registered
266 Posts
PM him and ask for you specific model.

I know this is the internet, but please at least attempt to have some form of sentence structure. This helps everyone else help you. :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
My beef with the 1/5th throttle insert is that I like to do wheelies. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't wan't a touchier throttle when I've got $10k below me on one wheel going 100mph. -1 for the 1/5th throttle insert. This is the same b.s. that people push with regards to short shifters in cars. I mean c'mon. Shortening the throw by a 1/2 inch may take .02 of a second off your shift. When you factor in the clutch in, shift, then releasing the clutch...it's really not signifigant at all for the money. At least in the car, a shortshifter has a benefit. All a 1/5th throttle insert does is make the bike more sensitive to throttle input, potentially in a negative way.

I can go WOT on a 1/4th throttle in about a tenth of a second. In other words .1 seconds. Using Math, You can go WOT on a 1/5 throttle in .08 seconds. So, You get to WOT .02 seconds sooner. A TRE aids the power feeding in sooner by much more than .02 seconds.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do apologise for the lack of sentance structure. I will correct it in the future. I rarely think about it. However with such mixed reviews , i am tempted to start a poll. Yeah thats what ill do. Ill do the poll and purchase the winner. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
641 Posts
There are some that believe a TRE does a better job on the prev generations. I have a 2008, and only rode it a mile or two after installing the TRE. Had to take it for a longer ride to notice the diff. It helps...but was less noticeable than I was expecting. Took it out again on a longer ride about 10 miles and cracked it open repeatedly and could tell the hesitation was gone. Makes the bike easier to wheelie as well as the timing is not retarded when cracking the throttle anymore. I've done some reading up about removing the "flies", but according to Heal-tech who makes the xtre, their instructions say not to remove the "flies" when using their product.

I personally don't like getting into the throttle linkage any more than I have too for safety reasons. I.e. throttle sticking open.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i was talking about removing the secondaries with the 1/5 throttle insert not with the TRE installed. What tre do you have and do you still haveyour gear indicator functioning ? How much did it run you?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ran $130 shipped for a heal-tech unit. For the older gen's, you have to get the Ivan's GI PRO w/ATRE. Should cost a similar amt. You get a nice large lighted digital gear indicator which is what the 'GI' stands for. Do a bit more searching on here. User HeSaves0211 has a thread on here about removing the secondaries and seems to like the results as do most of those who responded. Many of those who did respon seem to have some issues removing the screws holding the flies in since they were loctited from the factory. I may have gone that route first, but since I already have the X_TRE(Heal-tech), I'll leave the flies alone. If you ever put the flies back in, you'll want to re=loctite them as they could do some serious damage if one of them worked loose and got into the valves/cylinder.

·
Registered
641 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Care to Digress and give some info to help the poor young boy make a decision on what to do with his Christmas money from grandma?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
When I pulled the flies on my 08 I was worried about the screws, since everyone was bitching about them. I just used a good #2 screwdriver and they came out no problem. As far as the throttle linkage sticking, the secondaries are controlled by a servo in no relation to the main flies. Either way (removing flies or TRE) it should give similar results, although I would recomend a custom tune if you remove the flies, or after any mods for that matter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts